This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Flaxseeds?

sb2178

sb2178 Enthusiast

Hello all-

Anybody have good suggestions for how to a) crack or grind flaxseeds efficiently? B) how to make them edible?

I don't like yogurt at all. Already adding to salads, but I generally prefer cooked food, so I only eat them occasionally after the first harvest of lettuce is done. Hot cereal would work in the winter, but not when it's 80 degrees outside.

Recipes and ideas very much appreciated. Dr. said 1-2 teaspoons/day.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

halfrunner Apprentice

I grind them down in a coffee grinder. Then I mix them into muffins, pancakes, waffles, bread dough, coffee cake, cookies, etc. I also add them to homemade granola. Mostly, I make sure to get them into my breakfast. I supplement with a flax oil capsule that I get at GNC.

I've included my single serving pancake recipe. I make up 14 at a time, then I can just pull one out for breakfast each morning. One serving fits in one snack size ziploc bag.

For 3 pancakes (a single serving):

1/2 c. flour of any kind (for gluten-free pancakes I use 1/2 c. buckwheat)

1/8 tsp. xanthan gum

1 tsp. oil

1 tsp. egg (I beat a whole egg then measure out what I need & store the rest for the week's breakfasts)

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/16 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. ground flax seeds

1/2 c. milk

Mix try ingredients together, then stir in wet ingredients. Cook in a hot skillet as normal.

This recipe also makes 1-1/2 waffles in a waffle maker.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I fully agree about using a coffee grinder. Works great.

Heidi S. Rookie

You can also buy them as flax seed meal, already ground. I use Bob's Red Mill.

knittingmonkey Newbie

You can also buy them as flax seed meal, already ground. I use Bob's Red Mill.

Once you open the bag of flax seed meal, keep it refridgerated, as it goes rancid quickly at room temp. You really don't want rancid flax seed meal!

lucia Enthusiast

Stephanie - is his recommendation so you get more Omega 3 oils?

sb2178 Enthusiast

Yes-- in combination with borage oil (which I haven't found yet), flax seeds are supposed to roughly replicate fish oil (reluctant to take). He did say to not buy the pre-ground, probably because of the increased rate of rancidity.

Will definitely try the pancake recipe! Looks good, although I'll probably try throwing in some minced apple.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb2178 Enthusiast

And I can't stand purslane. So that's not an option.

naiiad Apprentice

I use a coffee grinder to grind down flax seed as well. I love the stuff and sprinkle it on everything - salads, soups, dips. Its very healthy!

Sometimes I make really good peanut butter raw gluten-free cookies using flaxseed meal (ground flax seed). I just blend flax seed meal together with peanut butter (or almond butter), dates, a banana and some cinnamon. I like to roll them up into balls and powder with cocoa. I have one of these with my meal for protein... and they taste great!

Juliebove Rising Star

I use my Magic Bullet. I had bought a coffee grinder but then read that would work. It does!

Archived