Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

All charcoal briquettes that I know of -- Kingsford and such -- have wheat starch in them. Some people use them anyway and put their stuff on aluminum foil.

I prefer to use natural charcoal, which is nothing more than charred wood. It tastes better, burns better and hotter, and lasts longer. You can often find it at hardware stores, Walmart (usually only in the summer), or kitchen specialty stores. Whole Foods also has it.

richard

It usually will say something like natural or "all wood" charcoal. It has nothing at all but wood and it looks nothing like charcoal briquettes. It looks like pieces of burned wood.

richard

Wow, that was interesting! My husband has doubted the need for natural charcoal, saying everything would burn off, & I guess he was right in a way. He's resisted getting the natural stuff because of $$$ (& cussedness...?)so I'm glad there's a way to use the regular stuff safely.

Leah

A plan to use-up my Kingsford. I prefer lump charcoal and lump wood and this will be a nice excuse to spend the extra buck. Mostly I don't want to bother cleaning my grill of all traces of the previous charcoal. That would appear a bit neurotic.

It usually will say something like natural or "all wood" charcoal. It has nothing at all but wood and it looks nothing like charcoal briquettes. It looks like pieces of burned wood.

richard

How great to hear from richard:

I TOTALLY agree. Forget the "brickettes", at some high end grocery stores or Lowes, Home Depot all have "natural wood charcoal". It is just charded wood. It does not burn like brickettes, you just add to it for you next grilling. Also, buy some hichory wood chips, soak them in water and put then on the wood chips before you grill your steak, salmon, pork, tuna...... Jim also soaks a pecan board or cedar in water and cooks on the board. The cedar/pecan steam cooks into your meat/seafood..........and it is to die for.

Write and ask for directions if you truely want to have a cullinary experience on the grill.

Thanks richard for clicking in....long time no hear. :):)

Lisa

I definately got glutened from Kingsford charcoal before. That must have been the batch that used wheat!! I should add that my hubby generally is not patient enough to wait for the charcoal to burn as they said in the article, but I would not take the chance again. I prepared all the food, so there was nothing else that could have contaminated it.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

While a slightly elevated TTG IgA can be attributed to other autoimmune diseases, if it is very elevated, it is more likely due to celiac disease .   Do you have the lab range?  Each lab is different but the most common lab celiac disease posi...
    Hi everyone, Can you shed some light? Suddenly finding ourselves with celiac disease at the top of mind, and I am not sure how to interpret lab results. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 3. Now 10 (almost...
    Hi there.  Work on getting your Vitamin D levels up.  I found a daily dose raised my level faster than once a week.  Vitamin D will help with the depression, too, making it easier to wean off antidepressants.   Vitamin D will also...