This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Almond And Rice Free Treat Recipe

Poppi

Poppi Enthusiast

There is a boy coming to my son's birthday party tomorrow. He is Celiac but also has dairy, soy, rice, almond and strawberry allergies. He can eat most of the snack food we have but I would really like to have a treat for him when the other kids have cake.

Any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

peanut butter cookies? Peanut butter, egg, sugar.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Someone else posted this as a 1 minute treat

slice" of chocolate cake

in a microwaveable cereal size bowl mix together:

1/4 cup ground flax meal

1/4 to 1/2 baking powder

1 packet of splenda (i use honey instead)

2 egg whites

1/2 t (heaping) cocoa powder

1/2 t cinnamon

chocolate chips (to taste ... i use 16 of the gheradelli 60% cacao baking chips)

mix and microwave for 1 min. dump on a plate. Top with ice cream or powdered sugar

oops ,dairy sorry try pbutter chips

Poppi Enthusiast

Thanks. Both great ideas but I don't have flax meal, dairy-free chocolate chips or soy-free peanut butter. :(

Poppi Enthusiast

I was planning on the peanut butter cookies but then I called the mom to check on the peanuts and she reminded me that my brand of PB has soy.

I could do dairy free or soy free chocolate chip cookies but I can't manage both. This is hard.

She says it's okay but I like to feed kids and I know how hard it is for my boys at parties.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

flourless chocolate cupcake? Open Original Shared Link

Note--she has a note that this will not work without eggs (vegan). However as long as he can have eggs I think this recipe would work with palm shortening or coconut oil in place of the butter. I have made several cakes (just not this specific recipe, sorry) using palm shortening afor the butter/margerine nd I cannot tell the difference once baked. If you can get that dairy free/soy free/gluten free Earth Balance spread that might be an option as well.

Oops, I just saw a similar suggestion was already made. Dairy free AND SOY free chocolate is hard to find. :( I use Enjoy Life brand but I only foudn it recently in one store here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Maybe some homemade pudding made with coconut milk? Try altering this recipe--

Orange cake:

Open Original Shared Link

I have no idea if this recipe works since there are no reviews. It seems like the flour is misisng from it or something but if I'm reading it right maybe not.

love2travel Mentor

How about meringues or individual pavlovas? Gives you license to be creative and fun to look at and eat.

Poppi Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. With all the other party prep I am just going to have to make sure he has a safe plate of fruit, candies, chips and veggies and trust his Mom that he'll be happy with a Cashew Lara bar for dessert.

mommida Enthusiast

I know I'm late posting but just in case it comes up again. Cotton candy! You can buy it different stores in little tubs. The other kids might just want to eat cotton candy too. Pixie sticks. Would have to check the label on these ~Smarties? Necco wafers?

When you start having a lot of food limitations start thinking just sugar.

Poppi Enthusiast

I know I'm late posting but just in case it comes up again. Cotton candy! You can buy it different stores in little tubs. The other kids might just want to eat cotton candy too. Pixie sticks. Would have to check the label on these ~Smarties? Necco wafers?

When you start having a lot of food limitations start thinking just sugar.

We have some pretty serious food colouring allergies in our home. My oldest son hallucinates and has suicidal thoughts if he eats something with food colouring. I'm not as bad but I definitely get twitchy and anxious. So things like cotton Candy, Smarties etc are off our list too. :(

Marilyn R Community Regular

Is watermelon in season where you live? You can carve some really cool things that aren't as difficult as they look, and are really fun!

Open Original Shared Link

Mizzo Enthusiast

How about meringues or individual pavlovas? Gives you license to be creative and fun to look at and eat.

This is a geat suggestion, I have had peppermint meringue cookies and they were fabulous. Don't have a recipe but google it.

You can make a meringue tower, like a cupcake tower.

love2travel Mentor

This is a geat suggestion, I have had peppermint meringue cookies and they were fabulous. Don't have a recipe but google it.

You can make a meringue tower, like a cupcake tower.

Yes - plus you can add so many things to the batter such as toasted slivered almonds, coconut, chocolate chunks, etc. I think meringues and pavlovas are underrated for something so simple and delicious (not to mention incredibly cheap).

mommida Enthusiast

When my daughter was off all top 8, gluten, peas, and food dyes we learned how to make hard candy. It isn't that hard, just find molds or make them with aluminun foil.

Really the childrens food allergy network was very helpful and search through "non-food" for "tubies"(feeding tube kids).

I really like the watermelon idea and I just remembered popsicles and very basic frozen sorbet.

GFinDC Veteran

kind of late I guess. But one treat you can make fairly easy is microwave peanut brittle. You don't have to use peanuts in it at all. You can use dried fruit, sunflower seeds, coconut shreds, pumkpin seeds, toasted sesame seeds etc. Follow the recipe and experiment. There are lots of recipees on the web. Spread it on a sheet of wax paper to cool. You can also sprinkle carob powder or cocnut on top. Then cut it in squares with a big knife.

domesticactivist Collaborator

This is late but I figure you'd still like ideas for next time. What about macaroons? I have a recipe on our blog:

They're even better with orange curd on top, but we haven't posted that recipe yet. You'll have to stay tuned till my partner gets around to writing it up!

Poppi Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.

I'm hoping to have this boy over to play with my son. I'd like to feed him well and eat myself so that means coming up with snacks without:

Gluten (both of us)

Rice (him)

Soy (him)

Dairy (him)

Almonds (him)

Food dyes (me and my kids)

Coconut (me)

Strawberries, Kiwi and Pineapple (him)

Can anyone think of milk and butter substitutes that are not dairy, rice soy or coconut? I can handle a little bit of coconut milk or oil but I prefer to avoid it because it makes my throat itch and my stomach hurt if I have very much, I can't handle it at all if it's raw. I made some great cinnamon buns today that would be a safe treat to share as long as I can replace 2 Tbsp of butter and 2/3 cup of milk.

I'll try some meringues too, that sounds great.

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks everyone.

I'm hoping to have this boy over to play with my son. I'd like to feed him well and eat myself so that means coming up with snacks without:

Gluten (both of us)

Rice (him)

Soy (him)

Dairy (him)

Almonds (him)

Coconut (me)

Can anyone think of milk and butter substitutes that are not dairy, rice soy or coconut? I can handle a little bit of coconut milk or oil but I prefer to avoid it because it makes my throat itch and my stomach hurt if I have very much, I can't handle it at all if it's raw. I made some great cinnamon buns today that would be a safe treat to share as long as I can replace 2 Tbsp of butter and 2/3 cup of milk.

Wow! That's a lot of things to avoid. For the butter, how about Earth Balance...they have a soy-free version. I don't know what it's made of. And as a milk substitute, some people use Vance's Dari-Free (I have no idea what the ingredients are though). Might be worth checking it out.

Thanks everyone.

Gluten (both of us)

Rice (him)

Soy (him)

Dairy (him)

Almonds (him)

Coconut (me)

For baking try Palm oil shortening. It's just like Crisco in texture and has pretty much no taste. I have used it for cakes and cookies with good results. And it's great for greasing pans too. I use extra LIGHT olive oil (NOT Extra virgin) for any baking calling for oil or even if it says melted butter you can usually use oil instead.

For spreading on toasts or sandwiches you can use mayo, avocado, jams or jelly, apple butter, pumpkin butter, sunflower butter, cashew butter, etc.

For a milk substitute you could try hemp milk--just make sure it is soy free and gluten free because they seem to put soy in a lot of milk subs.

I have also heard of hazelnut milk although I have not seen it anywhere.

Also, instead of straight coconut milk (the thick stuff from the can) have you tried the coconut milk "beverages" that come in half gallon cartons? It's not as "coconuty" flavor-wise and may not give you a stomach ache if just used in baking. You do have to read the label carefully to make sure it's soy free. I have seen coconut beverage by Silk and also by So Delicious. You might have different brands up there however. It's a good option for putting over cereal--if you can find any cereal he can have--maybe his mom can send some or you could do quinoa, gluten-free oats or buckwheat groats?

Is he only allergic/intolerant to cow's milk? Have you asked his mom if he can do goat or sheep's milk? When I was just lactose intolerant I could use goat's milk and goat's cheese without any trouble but once I became outright allergic to milk protein I started having reactions to goats milk too.

Another idea for anything that is savory instead of sweet you can just use broth instead of milk. Like for mashed potatoes, I use chicken broth. For some soups that call for a little milk I just use more broth instead and thicken it with potato flakes or corn starch.

Archived