pricklypear1971

Sourdough Bread Made From Wheat And Nontoxic Flours And Started With Selected Lactobacilli Is Tolerated In Celiac Sprue Patients

Rate this topic

The conclusion was.....

( the bread)..."is a novel tool for decreasing the level of human intolerance to a certain amount of wheat flour. Work is in progress to confirm these results with a long-term in vivo challenge."

It was published in 2003.

What happened after that?

I have no idea.

This was mentioned in a book I read today. I think there is a follow-up study mentioned. I'll have to find it and see.

Interesting...but, it still does not persuade me to try it :unsure:

Not enough evidence of PROLONGED ingestion or what will happen further down the road. Too risky. IMHO

(and this is just me, but I don't like sourdough bread anyway) :lol:

I think SOMEDAY maybe someone will find a way for celiacs to consume gluten foods again without damage to the body ( a vaccine maybe?), but I am not holding my breath. After what I have been through, I would be very fearful to try it. (shudder!)

I wouldn't try this at home. And I'd sure like lots of other people to be the lab rats:).

I'm not surprised they could do this, but am surprised we haven't heard more about it.

It seems like they were trying to "work out" the bad part of the flour, like fermenting milks into yogurt works out the lactose? It's an interesting concept..but I sure wouldn't want to one of the people being tested. :o