This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Ate Mc Donalds :(

Skittles

Skittles Enthusiast

Hello everyone, Just here for a little rant...

I am newly diagnosed and I have been gluten free and lactose free for a month (which felt like much longer). I was doing everything right and doing so well. Last night I had a couple drinks at a party and on the way home we went to Mc donalds, and I ended up getting a burger (which obviously contains gluten). I wasn't that drunk, I knew I should't have done it at the time but I didn't care! I don't get extremely sick from eating gluten but I do get C and cramps. I feel like all of my hard work went out the window and I am back to square 1.. I am so disappointed in myself :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Everyone makes mistakes, hon. Don't beat yourself up over it. I'll spare you the lecture about why you should never do this, because you already know.

Just start again today!

And next time, just get the fries if you can't help yourself from eating fast food crap. Lots of people on here say they can eat those.

Seriously, though...I have to tease you, just a little and see if you can smile about all this....but if I were drunk and going to be that stupid and make myself sick, I would have chosen something waaaaay better than a MickeyD's burger :lol:

Maybe you should start carrying snacks in your bag?

mamaw Community Regular

I don't think McD's burgers themselves (no bun)contain gluten but the risk of CC is great as eating out at any place...And I agree if I were going to ever consider cheating I would choose something wonderful not a pink slime burger..

Crap happens & I hope you learned a great lesson DON"T CHEAT EVER>>>>>>> not worth hte price of being misable....

MitziG Enthusiast

Not square one, by any means! When you are new to the diet, it is so easy to talk yourself into cheating. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, whether it is sex or gluten, lol! So, next time you plan ondrinking, make a game plan ahead of time so you will be less likely to fall victim to the same thing. Carry some snacks, or worse case scenario, go bunless or try the fries. As the above poster said, some people do ok with them and it is a source of much debate!

The longer you are gluten-free, the mmore violent your reaction is likely to be. When gluten makes you spend the night puking your guts out and writhing in agony, you will be very disinclined to cheat, I assure you! ;)

rosetapper23 Explorer

If you'd chosen a lettuce-wrapped Star burger at Carl's Jr., you'd have been a lot safer. I've visited a number of Carl's Jr. while traveling, and I've never been glutened (even though I'm very sensitive). So, the next time you feel a little crazy, consider stopping there rather than McDonald's.

dani nero Community Regular

Don't feel bad about it and don't beat yourself up. I'm not saying eat gluten whenever you feel like it though.. A celiac eating gluten is equal to a healthy person eating spoiled food filled with germs.. The only difference is that the healthy person's antibodies will attack the germs, while our antibodies will attack us haha :-)

Just accept that you slipped and life goes on. One month is too short time for you to get used to the new lifestyle, and you'll get there eventually.

To most of us here going near gluten makes us so sick we never want to go near it again due to how lousy and crappy we feel for over a week, and I know that's where I'm getting my determination from.. It's not due to will-power or anything ;-) I just hate being moody, bloated, constipated, fatigued and god knows what else more than I hate the restrictions in my diet.

I actually started getting the occasional nightmares about me eating something with gluten in it ever since I started. I think I've had the nightmare three or four times already, and boy was I relieved when I woke up because it wasn't real lol.

Skittles Enthusiast

Everyone makes mistakes, hon. Don't beat yourself up over it. I'll spare you the lecture about why you should never do this, because you already know.

Just start again today!

And next time, just get the fries if you can't help yourself from eating fast food crap. Lots of people on here say they can eat those.

Seriously, though...I have to tease you, just a little and see if you can smile about all this....but if I were drunk and going to be that stupid and make myself sick, I would have chosen something waaaaay better than a MickeyD's burger :lol:

Maybe you should start carrying snacks in your bag?

hahah I know... Mcdonalds, of all things!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skittles Enthusiast

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I have learned a lesson and am back on track :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I have learned a lesson and am back on track :)

That's the spirit!!

No worries now. Move forward.

Drink a lot of water (drinking alcohol makes us dehydrated) and take probiotics and ....knock it off!! :lol:

You're "lucky" you do not get very sick on gluten. I'm a

"veteran" who knows better and I'm miserable and in muscle/bone pain here for 6 days now from a trace gluten CC issue. :blink: Happens to the best of us. I did not do a McD's run, but I trusted a customer service rep who assured me the gluten-free statement on the package was "cool". It wasn't ....BAH! :angry:

Sh*T happens, kiddo and then, we go back to living.

Rest today and tomorrow. Be well.

hugs, IH

Archived