This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sam's Club

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I have been thinking of joining Sam's club because I go through so much fruit and rice etc. Is this a good value? Is it cheaper than Walmart? I have a problem shelling out the 50 bucks to join. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I have been thinking of joining Sam's club because I go through so much fruit and rice etc. Is this a good value? Is it cheaper than Walmart? I have a problem shelling out the 50 bucks to join. Any thoughts?

There is a thread in the archives about what people buy at Sam's Club.

kareng Grand Master

See if you can have a guest pass to look around. Then mark down the prices on the stuff you would buy. When you get home, figure out how much cheaper it was from where you usually get it. And how often you would purchase it. Do you save the $50 over a year?

For example, if you buy watermelon at SAMs and it's $1 cheaper than P.C. And you will eat 1 per week for watermelon season( not the whole year) that's maybe 10 weeks. There's $10 right there.

I find I go to Costco often because it's less than 2 miles from my house. It's not a big deal to pop in to get just 1 thing. If its too far, you might not use it.

Jestgar Rising Star

I know people that share a Costco membership (no Sam's here). They shop together (save on gas) and purchase separately (just hand the card to the next person). If you know anyone you like well enough to spend three or four hours with once a month or so, it might be worth it.

kareng Grand Master

I know people that share a Costco membership (no Sam's here). They shop together (save on gas) and purchase separately (just hand the card to the next person). If you know anyone you like well enough to spend three or four hours with once a month or so, it might be worth it.

Really? Thats great! Ours doesn't let you do that exactly. I can bring a friend, but I pay for her stuff. I can even get her stuff on a separate receipt. But the money or credit card has to be from me. Basically the same thing. Just a technical maneuver. ;)

Jestgar Rising Star

The self checkout doesn't care, but you might have to use an amex card. I have one that I only use for Costco.

Mom23boys Contributor

You don't need to join to check prices, just go online. Do keep in mind the online list doesn't show everything but it does give a good idea of the "stable stock".

For us, it is cheaper. I buy their huge bags of rice and popcorn to grind. We also get fruit/veggies that don't come through our CSA. Paper goods are great too.

IMO it is a great savings unless you are some extreme couponer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbuster Explorer

We have a membership - luckily, my work pays $15 toward it.

But things we buy there:

chips, paper towels, TP, sandwich baggies, laundry detergent

gum, M&Ms (giant bag), mixed nuts

Crunchmaster crackers

Hormel pre-cooked bacon, shredded cheese, canned tuna

Some baking supplies (chocolate chips, brown sugar, Pam spray)

Some fresh fruits and veggies

A few frozen items (mixed veggies, shrimp)

We have one very near our home - if it was far, would not use it as much. Also, they typically have gas for 2-8 cents per gallon cheaper than anywhere else.

MelW11 Newbie

My work helps too so I did not have to pay $50, but I have saved enough just on the gas to more than pay for my membership!

I buy paper goods and alcohol from there as well as other food items. I also bought my iPad there and iTunes cards; they are slightly cheapter and every little bit adds up!

I do not have a Costco near me, but I have heard other people say they love them.

Carebear Apprentice

I go to Costco, and it saves my boyfriend and I a ton of money! They have really good quality fish and meat in bulk, as well as fruits and vegetables. I'm a super sensitive celiac, so I don't eat any processed foods other than olive oil and salt, but I know the processed things are a lot cheaper too. Rice and beans are another good item to get in bulk!

lovegrov Collaborator

We saved enough on tires (three vehicles) to pay for several years worth of fees.

richard

GFreeMO Proficient

Thanks everyone. We are going to go look around this weekend. It does sounds like a pretty good deal. I never thought about paper products and tires. Those would be an extra bonus. :)

kareng Grand Master

We probably get our $50 back on Gatorade & Sunny D savings! Partially, we have the membership for entertainment perposes. My hub can wander and be happy for an hour in there. Also, Costco sometimes has stuff you can't find at regular stores.

Costco has great prices on nice dog beds. I have taken a dog rescue lady there so she could get some. Weird stuff like that. SAMs seems similar.

Mom23boys Contributor

Our savings on gasoline pay for our membership.

I love the Click and Pull too. I sit at home and order online. The nice gentleman at our store pulls my items and puts them on a flatbed. I get an email. Hubby picks up my groceries on his way home from work. That means I get exactly what I order and hubby isn't calling me for every_single_item to see if it's the right one.

bbuster Explorer

We saved enough on tires (three vehicles) to pay for several years worth of fees.

richard

We have bought tires there also - cheaper than anywhere else I have found.

jeanzdyn Apprentice

Just get a business membership, I believe that I paid $35 this year for the plain business membership. They don't check to see what your 'business' is, or verify it in any way that I am aware of. I have never been questioned on it in

4 years of membership at Sam's Club.

VydorScope Proficient

Just get a business membership, I believe that I paid $35 this year for the plain business membership. They don't check to see what your 'business' is, or verify it in any way that I am aware of. I have never been questioned on it in

4 years of membership at Sam's Club.

I have a college student membership, so not only do I pay $35, but they give me a $10 gift card when I renew. If you are connected to any groups, or organizations in your area it is worth looking into.

Mom23boys Contributor

I have a business membership and I had to provide my tax id number on the form.

Stubborn red head Apprentice

I LOVE SAM'S CLUB!!!!

My husband and I buy all kinds of stuff there.. from Raw meats and veggie to paper products and and snack foods!

I don't go a month without going in there and its just the two of us.

Archived