This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Come And Rant!

fisharefriendsnotfood

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Oh, and it would be nice if they could make a gluten free beer that didn't explode (and was available in California/Nevada

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gluten free beer explodes??? :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smunkeemom Enthusiast
It would be nice to be able to have good (heavily breaded) fried chicken without spending 2 hours of preparation and 1 hour of clean up...

I have a great recipe, but its is such a pain when you get home from work....

Oh, and it would be nice if they could make a gluten free beer that didn't explode (and was available in California/Nevada)

Ok, I'm done..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a really good easy gluten-free fried chicken recipe if you want it.....

bonless chicken breast

Bob's red mill gluten-free flour

1 stick butter

paprika

milk

egg

1 preheat oven to 350 and put a 9x13x2 in it with stick of butter sliced (let the butter melt

2 make flour, salt, pepper,paprika mix to taste and whip together egg and milk

3 coat chicken in flour and then in the milk mixture and then in the flour again (makes the breading really crispy)

4 cook chicken at 350 in your 9x13x2 make sure that the melted butter comes at least 1/2 way up on the chicken cook for 30 min and then flip over cook for 25 more min.

it is my husband's favorite fried chicken ever. :)

btw does gluten-free beer taste good? which brand is best? I don't drink beer but my husband might if we found a good gluten-free beer, he is going gluten-free to support my daughter and I think a beer after a difficult day would be nice :D

cornbread Explorer

My rant: Why is it so hard to talk my relatives into getting tested for gluten intolerance / celiac??! Don't they see how much healthier I am now? Don't they believe my tales of misery when I've been glutened? I find it really offensive, it's as if they think I'm overreacting either about my symptoms or about the dangers of them having the same thing and being undiagnosed. Do they think I'm making the whole thing up?! :huh:

Claire Collaborator
This is a head's up for people who order pop at bars.

My friends and I sometimes go to the on-campus bar after a long days work. I sometimes get a pepsi and have noticed that once in awhile, I got a little gasy and sick afterwards. Anyway, yesterday I just noticed that the beer and pepsi are attached to the same nosel  :o  which would mean that I got cross contamination  :angry:  :angry: I know it is stupid of me for not investigating this earlier, but everyone makes mistakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And a good heads up it is. This is such a great example of how little gluten it takes to effect a reactive individual. Hopefully this will be read by everyone on the forum who tends to be of the 'just a little bit' persuasion. Claire

paw Apprentice
if you could post the ingredients I may be able to help.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! Equate Antibacterial Liquid Hand Soap Refill (Wal Mart)

Triclosan, Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidoopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantion, Glycerine, Tetrasodium EDTA, Cocamide MEA, Polyquarternium-7, Silk Peptide, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, FD&C Red No. 40, FD&C No. Yellow No 5, D&C Red No 33.

I have several of the 64 oz refill bottles of this soap, (it compares to either softsoap naturals antibacterial handsoap) and if it is loaded with bad things I should know. The "Customer Service" number was useless. :angry: Why put it on and then not answer questions? 1-888-593-0593

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Thanks!  Equate Antibacterial Liquid Hand Soap Refill (Wal Mart)

Triclosan, Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidoopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantion, Glycerine, Tetrasodium EDTA, Cocamide MEA, Polyquarternium-7, Silk Peptide, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, FD&C Red No. 40, FD&C No. Yellow No 5, D&C Red No 33.

I have several of the 64 oz refill bottles of this soap, (it compares to either softsoap naturals antibacterial handsoap) and if it is loaded with bad things I should know.  The "Customer Service" number was useless.  :angry:  Why put it on and then not answer questions?  1-888-593-0593

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it looks fine to me. :D I didn't see anything questionable even.

paw Apprentice
it looks fine to me. :D I didn't see anything questionable even.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you. I was more upset with the Customer Service person for refusing to tell me than I would be to know the soap is not good for me to use. I don't know what all those ingredients really are. I never had to think about these things before.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Those ingredients look gluten-free :)

Paul-Bunyon Newbie

Gosh durnit. I'm really hacked off. :P:D

jcgirl Apprentice

I love this thread.

My birthday was 2 weeks ago and my son made me a Namaste gluten-free brownie (cake). He made it in 2 layers, added choc chips, choc frosting and crumpled up butterfinger on top. It was to die for. The entire family,) there are 7 of us here, my hubby, my son and four stepchildred) got a piece and everybody loved it.

Well here is the ranting part, I get home from work and go to get one of the last two pieces that were saved just for me, the birthday mom that can't eat gluten. Well low and behold someone got into it and picked at both pieces leaving only the ends. They actually positioned the plate so it would look like a full piece. I was so upset I started to cray :( When I asked the 4 kids that were home, you know the ones that can eat anything in site, nobody seemed to know what the heck I was talking about :angry:

So not only am I limited with what I can eat, when I finally find a good treat for myself I have to beware of the GLUTEN FREE BOOGY MAN :o

skoki-mom Explorer

One of the peds residents just finished her rotation in our unit and left 3 big boxes of cookies in the staff room for the nurses. Then, because it's Sunday and Dr. Hasan was on, there was a big box of Tim Horton's donuts in the staff room too. Need I say more???

jpsych Newbie

Two thumbs down to all the commercials on tv constantly reminding me of what i can't eat (Pizza Hut, KFC). :angry:

davo76 Newbie

Well I fancy a rant today. The other day I got a letter from my employer saying that I have to attend a disciplinary meeting because of my prolonged absence from work (Doctors note covered I might add) which may mean I lose my job. I mean wtf, discipline me for being ill, dont make me laugh, they really think I have a choice in the matter :lol:.

I'd be upset if it wasnt for the fact i'm past caring about what they say.

gabby Enthusiast

I can't bear that withering look coupled with those rolling eyeballs I get from certain family/friends when they 'forget' about my celiac and try to serve me something that's not gluten-free...and I have to politely remind them.

I also am very tired of the lengthy conversation that always follows about 'so-what-can-you-eat-isn't-that-a-shame' and then we spend an hour talking in depth about stuff I can't eat now or ever again. It is sort of like taking someone who is a recovering alcoholic, taking them to a bar, and then spending an hour listing off all the stuff they can't drink..... "you can't have beer? or wine? or tequila? or shots? or champagne? or whiskey......"

And one more quick thing. I've lost 40 pounds since going gluten-free and lots of people think I'm pretending to have celiac...but that I'm really just on an exotic diet and I eat this way just to stay thin! Bah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Smunkeemom- thanks for the recipe - I have a similar one -- I just hate the preparation/cooking/clean-up/etc of making Fried Chicken. I'd love to be able to go down the street and pick up a "bucket" of the Colonel's Recipe and go to town :) without cleaning anything besides my fingers/face :)

Rachel,

Bards Beer is a very tasty gluten free beer. Unfortunately, they made a few bad batches and the bottles have the tendency to "foam up" and you lose half your beer upon opening or the bottles "combust/explode" without warning..

Apparently, they are working on the project -- though they never replied to my or my friend's e-mails........

AND NOW.....

Time for my rant for this week..

Does anybody else get "Ticked off" when your roommates/family eat your food?? I try to be a good person and "share and share alike", but its pretty agravating when they can eat all of your food, but you can't touch their food....I guess this just bugs me....then I feel bad for making a fuss over food (afterall there is more to life than my Lays Stax"

:)

tarnalberry Community Regular
Bards Beer is a very tasty gluten free beer. Unfortunately, they made a few bad batches and the bottles have the tendency to "foam up" and you lose half your beer upon opening or the bottles "combust/explode" without warning..

Apparently, they are working on the project -- though they never replied to my or my friend's e-mails........

AND NOW.....

Does anybody else get "Ticked off" when your roommates/family eat your food?? I try to be a good person and "share and share alike", but its pretty agravating when they can eat all of your food, but you can't touch  their food....I guess this just bugs me....then I feel bad for making a fuss over food (afterall there is more to life than my Lays Stax"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently, on the beer, it was a secondary fermentation problem with the beer. They're moving to a new plant, at the moment, and hope to be back in production by the end of the year.

I don't get ticked off by that, probably mostly because it rarely happens, and because it's just me and my husband. He's usually pretty good about not doing that, anyway.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
Smunkeemom- thanks for the recipe - I have a similar one -- I just hate the preparation/cooking/clean-up/etc of making Fried Chicken. I'd love to be able to go down the street and pick up a "bucket" of the Colonel's Recipe and go to town :) without cleaning anything besides my fingers/face :)

yeah that would be more convenient except for you would be sick :P This tastes better though. The clean up isn't too bad if you use paper plates/bowls for the breading and line the pan with foil. I would love to go pick up dinner, but it is more inconvenient now because I have to throw my "cross contamination fit" all the time so I have tried to get over it. <_<

Does anybody else get "Ticked off" when your roommates/family eat your food?? I try to be a good person and "share and share alike", but its pretty agravating when they can eat all of your food, but you can't touch  their food....I guess this just bugs me....then I feel bad for making a fuss over food (afterall there is more to life than my Lays Stax"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get annoyed when I buy gluten-free pudding for my girls and regular for others and they eat the gluten-free (it is more expensive and it leaves my girls with no pudding) I think it is very rude esp. since there are like 500 different treats that they could eat including regular snack packs and they herd over to my girls special food GRRR I feel your pain..... I am trying to find a more diplomatic way to whine about it, because what I am doing now

a) doesn't work

and

B) just makes people resent my kids

neither are working for me.

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paw Apprentice
ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope tomorrow is better for you :(

FaithInScienceToo Contributor
I hope tomorrow is better for you    :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL...actually, that was a long built up "ARGH!!!!", accumulated over almost 11 months time ;-)

...thanks for the supportive reply, though, PAW!

Gina

PS - I'll probably wait another 11 months before you see another ARGH! from me... not in my character...but, someone invited me to get it out, so... ;-)

dogear Rookie

I hate it that so many gluten-free products, have things about celiac written on them.

Do the makers of these products think that there's anything on these paragraphs, that diagnosed celiacs don't already know? Or do they think that writing these things on the labels will just end up educating random store browsers?

Frankly there's something a bit icky about it. As though this gluten-free stuff wasn't normal food and belongs behind the prescription drug counter or something!! It's a bit like the Dr. Bronner's soap labels, the ones where you want to buy a plain no additives soap, and end up reading all this weird stuff that company writes on the label.

And it makes me really uneasy as a gluten-free "voluntary". I almost feel like that by going up the cashier, I'm telling a sort of lie in a sense. As if, I'm giving the person a false impression about me or someone in my family, or as if I'm making some bid for sympathy, or the equivalent of a person who can walk find using a wheelchair. Or like, I'm illegally buying a prescription medicine I shouldn't have. I'm already more embarassed at buying explicitly gluten-free products, than I was at buying Tampons in my early teens.

(OK, OK, I know that part is my own personal issue, but still, I can't be the only one who finds this a bit icky.)

Why can't the labelers of gluten-free products just act like, the are selling a regular food item, and not some exotic medical treatment?

For cry it out load, even the makers of adult diapers, aren't so explicit!!

WRowland Newbie
OH I could go on for days about my ranting and raving! I am surronded by wheat eating individuals every day that just do not understand! My one roommate keeps eating my gluten-free crackers! I mean I am a poor college student who does not have the money to buy all the gluten-free foods I would like and even working full time I dont. She however has her mommy and daddy pay for every thing and yet she still does it. I finally said something one day after I got home from work and went to go grab my rice chips and they were gone. She was yea I got hungary sorry about that, those things are so good. Then she says oh I should make a pizza. Um one dont eat my food and two dont tell me how good my few gluten-free foods are and then tell me you are making some wheat filled pizza....must be rough!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WRowland Newbie

I have a suggestion for the college students with greedy roomates:

GET A LOCKING TOOLBOX to safeguard precious gluten-free treats.

A quick search came up with great example of what I mean. Go to Amazon and search for "Rubbermaid Durabull Toolboxes". I'd consider the 16", 20", and 26" versions. About $10, $15, and $30 respectively. Great Christmas wishlist item.

These have a hasp to accept a padlock, combination or key, your choice. Personally, I'd go for the largest size I had space for, and I'd probably discard the tray. Try also Tyler Tool Company and Ames Hardware.

THEN REQUEST A MEETING FOR YOU AND YOUR ROOMATE WITH YOUR RESIDENT ADVISOR.

Explain the importance and limitations of the diet. Bring NHI papers and references. Restaurant cards are helpful. Many can be printed from the internet. Describe your behavior if your needs are not respected. Type up a contract descibing this behavior, and get it signed at this meeting by roomate and RA.

1. Any food that comes up missing will be reported to the RA.

2. If there is a second offense, insist on another meeting, and the food goes into the locked box from then on. It's not necessary to accuse her or get a confession, etc. Anything that goes missing a sceond time is a locked box item, period. Doesn't matter who's eating it. Obviously, someone in your environment is too selfish, immature, immoral, etc. to control themselves. So you will save them the temptation and control access.

3. If the locked box is breached,or comes up missing, this is not a rude, insensitive roomate. It is theft and will be reported to campus security.

Warning, revenge in other forms of mischief might appear. Include this in the first discussion and contract. Same deal, one warning, report the behavior if it is repeated.

One of the pluses about celiac, is that you may have no choice but to become assertive enough to insist on being respected. Assertive, not aggressive, which is very useful in the real world of work. It may make you more successful in you chosen career. It will also make you an effective parent. Telling a child, in clear unemotional manner, what the consequences will be and then consistently following thru, is the best way to nuture a child into a mature, responsible adult.

WRowland Newbie

Sorry, didn't mean to 'shout', just learning to use the buttons and preview.

Also, just read the comment about the roomate's eating disorder.

If you really love her, stop enabling her.

You've got more to talk about at that meeting than I thought. Maybe there should be a meeting with her counselor first. She's really got you where she wants you. You buy it and she eats it and you're guilty if you tell the truth about it. Every addict's dream. Except that's killing both of you. Your ignorance and her denial.

You are not responsible for her addiction or her failure to cope with it in a healthy way. The three C's apply here: You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. The longer you keep her from experiencing the consequences of her behavior the more you become entangled in her addiction. Consequences like your locked box reminding her that she is not controlling herself. Worse, you are helping her slowly kill herself ...... while you fail to take better care of yourself. That's called co-dependence. You will resent it more and more, and eventually you will have to abandon the relationship to save yourself.

So if you want to remain friends, CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR NOW.

And yes, it might get worse before it gets better. Making her experience consequences may aggrevate her behavior. It may also break her denial and force her to feel the pain that is driving the addiction. If her counselor is aware of this interaction and prepared for it, it might also save her life.

Pretty heavy stuff for your age, but life happens, like it or not. There is only one healthy way out. DETACH WITH LOVE. That is a principle shared by all 12-Step programs for the family and friends of addicts. It does not mean abandon your friend. It means that you will have to learn how to behavior in relationship to the addiction so that you encourage recovery instead of enabling a return to the addiction. This is REAL love, very difficult, and most of us need support to get it even half right-counselors, web-sites, on-line groups, etc. Plus they may help you find a compromise that really works for both of you. For instance, maybe the locked box shouldn't live in the kitchen or dorm room, although I'm generally suspicious of moving the consequence too far from the action.

(By the way, this is much like what we want from our loved ones and complain bitterly that we rarely receive. Maybe learning how to give it could teach us how to insist on receiving it.)

jmarie Newbie

Here's my rant:

Products that list "gluten-free" on the front of the package in big, friendly letters, prompting me to buy the product. Later, I notice little <i>tiny, tiny</i> letters that say "For those with food allergies, this product was manufactured in the same plant with products containing <i>wheat</i>. :angry:

When I was visiting my dad in rural NH, that little trick left me with virtually no food for a day and a half immediately after The Big Road Trip to the health food store an hour away.

Argh, indeed.

jmarie

Archived