24 replies to this topic

#16 agnostic

agnostic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:05 AM

thanks everybody, I never expected it would be that harm to eat small amounts of gluten food! this is really shocking!
I am from Syria , here gluten food is more spread than anywhere in the world, and here there's nothing called gluten-free foods or even whole food markets! no body knows about this disease - even doctors- , and those few people I told them about my disease were very shocked that I wont be able to eat bread! my brother sayed that even poeple with cancer can eat bread!!
bread is the most common food in the middle east, it's present in all meals of the day! in some local accents they call 'bread' with the same arabic word that means 'life'!
dropping this 'life' has been the most difficult to me until now besides the more time I spend on preparing food after excluding fastfoods.

anyway, thank you very much, glad to be with this non-bread community:)

I would like to ask also about the corn flakes is it safe enough??
there is a dressing pronounced "Kari", it's from east asia , colored yellow.
I dont know if it's common in your country , but anybody has an idea if it's gluten free or not?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:05 AM

so sorry you are really on your own in syria! i'm sure that gets lonely and discouraging at times! do you know any of the ingredients in kari? i have a friend from the middle east--maybe he would know what is in it.
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#18 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:10 PM

On this site is a section of the forum called "International".

If no-one has posted there about Syria yet, you are our pioneer! (Difficult)

There are general principles but in practice it depends what ingredients and products you can get in Syria.

In the UK there are several makes of corn flakes that use fruit juice, corn malt etc to sweeten them and not the usual barley malt. They are more expensive and not in most shops.

By kari do you mean curry - in the UK this is taken to mean a combination of spices, the ingredients can vary and sometimes flour is added.

So check the ingredients list, that may be difficult or impossible if you are buying them loose.

I like to add a little plain powdered cumin to some dishes, without any added flour. That I think is the most attractive component of the curry taste. The yellow colour will be from turmeric.

As far as bread is concerned, my friend showed me how to mix some chickpea (gram) flour with water and drop it in the frying pan - hey presto, a slice of bread whenever you need it. There are also many other marvellous kinds of flour and grain we may have, I don't know if you can get them near you but keep searching and researching and keep us updated on your news ...

:rolleyes:

#19 Guest_BellyTimber_*

Guest_BellyTimber_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:20 PM

I too find that the longer I am gluten-free, the more sensitive my digestive system seems to be.  The emotional symptoms (anxiety and mild depression) have gotten better but it does not take much to set off my stomach.  I was feeling better than I have in a long time for about 3 weeks :D but since Monday I've been having D on and off with bloating and a general feeling that my intestines are sore--almost like I've done 100 situps--and believe me I haven't!!  Has anyone else felt like this after a period of feeling better? 
How long does it generally take to get back on track?  I'm still kind of new at this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't feel much healthier after almost 3 years going as much gluten-free-WF as I possibly can.

Some people get better quicker. It's also possible we will refine the art in avoiding contamination better with the progress of time.

People do say I am more relaxed than before I went gluten-free-WF, and have had periods of communicating better.

After having a spell of bad innards it can take me days or weeks to get as much back on track as I would expect - usually days.

Best of wishes,

#20 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

welcome... I always carry an insulated bag with my own gluten-free goodies whenever I am invited somewhere...

you can find easy enough recipes for gluten-free breads that you could make from local gluten-free flours, I understand that the Middle East has been devoted to bread (the supposed staff of life) for longer than the rest of the world, so you do have your work cut out for you, but I'm a believer that it can be done!

Fresh fruits, veggies, rice, beans... these can all become your staples... can you mail order specialty products that you can't buy locally?

oh and yes even the tiniest amount of gluten is poison to someone with celiac, so no cheating ever... sorry.

#21 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:23 PM

Corn flakes usually contain malt, so unfortunately it's a no-no. The first meal I ate when I went gluten free was corn flakes. I was all proud of myself for finding a corn-based cereal and didn't realize until several days and hours of celiac disease research later that I'd messed up!

I like to think of celiac disease as being similar to a peanut allergy. People who are allergic to peanuts can die if they eat even the smallest amount. Luckily I won't die if I eat gluten, but I will get very, very sick. You are not being rude to not eat at other people's houses if they don't have gluten-free food. If you know you're going somewhere for dinner, you could call up and find out what's on the menu and offer to bring something gluten-free so you can eat least eat something. Your friends should understand.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#22 FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:03 PM

WOW, Agnostic - Syria...

Let's see...what can I say now to help?

...focus on what you CAN have....

Fresh fruits and veggies...raw, steamed...

PURE spices ONLY!
If they are bought 'ground,' you MUST make sure that wheat pwder wasn't added by the 'producer' to prevent 'caking (sticking together of the spice powder)...

Meats/poultry/fish - cooked in clean pans - and not on grills used to cook anything potentially marinaded in sauces with hidden gluten in them...

PURE yogurt - unflavored - which is normal for you, right?
or, with tiny pieces of cucumber and dill in it for flavor? to top certain dishes, or with lamb kabobs as a dip?

I did a QUICK Google search for URLs with the words "Syrian" and "Food"...

Looks like MANY of your recipes are naturally gluten-free, or can easily be adapted...that's lucky! Hummus, kebobs, etc...yummy stuff!

So...maybe you will BECOME A GREAT COOK of gluten-free Syrian foods?! ;-)

And, yes, be sure to get yourself a light-weight insulated cooler to carry foods with you!

Good luck in your gluten-free adventures...!!!! JUST STAY gluten-free & Be healthy!

Gina

#23 quantumsugar

quantumsugar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:53 PM

my brother sayed that even poeple with cancer can eat bread!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's one of the hardest things--dealing with family and friends that don't understand.

A good analogy for your brother might be that... if eating the bread caused cancer (in people with cancer) then they wouldn't be able to eat it either. Or you can describe it as being like an allergy to food, except one that causes your body to attack itself.

As for dealing with everyone else, being matter of fact about it and not cheating at all helps other people deal with it, too (as well as helping your own healing). If you cheat on the diet, people won't take your disease or your diet seriously.

Good luck!
Enterolab results: 14 October 2006

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)
(Yay!)

gluten-free since May 2005
Currently soy and dairy free !

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound"
--Psalm 4:7

#24 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:46 PM

Ok, maybe you know this already but the issue of cross-contamination is quite real and serious. From what I know here in the USA, mid-eastern food is typically eaten off shared plates. So if everyone has their bread and is dipping it in the hummus, you cannot eat the hummus (bread crumbs, even if you don't see them). :(

What you can do is get into the kitchen before anyone else and serve yourself up a plate that everyone else stays out of. (sigh...I LOVE mid-eastern food and used to work at a Moroccan/Tunisian restaurant...)

Merika

#25 toxemicfrog

toxemicfrog

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:51 PM

hi there
i, too, agree with the former comments....no gluten at all if you can help it....i get sicker than ever if i have it and i have only been gluten-free for a couple of months. I have days when i cant explain why im sick and i put that down to the slow healing of my stomach.
I live in australia...my dr says celiac disease is the most under diagnosed condition he knows of and subsequently i found it hard in the first couple of weeks because there was not much info in my area (thank god for the net and thank god for this site...could not have done without it).
what i have done is cut nearly all processed food out of my diet and am now on more fresh fruit and veges than ever b4. All in all I have have lost 15 kg and am still not gaining weight.
malabsorption is a huge problem so I try to make what goes into my belly really count...red meat and green vege to keep iron and protein levels up and lots of fresh fruit and salad for vitamins and minerals. I also figure the purer the food the less work my poor stressed out belly has to cope with.
I did find some yummy choc biscuits that i have when i need a treat...they are great but they really are a special treat.
I also find i can not drink very much alcohol these days so we just have the occasional glass of good red wine.
Hope this helps
have a great day
:D
Diagnosed celiac disease Aug 2005 (very positive bloods)
gluten-free since diagnosed
Epileptic
Epstein Barr Virus and CMV (both related to glandular fever and with you for life)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome since forever.

highly allergic to all types of grasses and grass seed (level is high at 6, mine was 69!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: