6 replies to this topic

#1 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

Hi everyone, I use to be on here almost everday for a long time but the crazyness of not knowing if I had Celiac or not and my SO not believing it I went back to eating gluten after being gluten free for several years, loosing weight and feeling lots better.

Well, since I been here I went back to being sick, gained back all the weight I had lost and have been dx'd with Lupus/Conective Tissue Disease, with Fibro type symptoms, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Rynauds Syndrome, Degenerative Disc Disease, Endometriosis, Chronic Anemia and the really big one Severe Erosive Gastritis.

Here a while back I kept getting sicker and sicker and I wound up in the hospital with a Lupus/Connective Tissue Disease flare and I had lost so much blood that I wound up needing a blood transfusion.

While I was in they wanted to track down the bleeding so my dr contacted the hospitals gastro dr and he came in to talk with me and since he was going to do a Endo and Colonosopy on me I asked him to take enough biopsies to check for Celiac disease. I told him that I definetly had symptoms of when I ate gluten but that none of the blood tests showed I had it, So he said he would check.

Well, this is what my official paperwork says.

Gastric Antral Biopsies:

Superficial fragments of gastric antral mucosa with severe hemorragic erosive gastritis and vascular congestion.

Negative for tumor, Immunohistochemical stain for Helicobater negative.

Several biopsies taken shows villi has slight blunting which is indicative of mild gluten sensitivity.

That's it. So, for the old timers here. SHould I consider this Celiac Disease? When I talked to the gastro dr he was like the villi wasn't destroyed so I don't consider you to have Ciliac. But until you get your gastritis under control I would avoid gluten if I were you. Arrggghhh!

Just frustrating but I guess I need to be gluten free no matter who gives me crap about it.

Guess I need to redo my signature post down below.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:08 AM

Some things to consider and maybe show the doctor

http://www.curecelia...they-eat-gluten

http://www.curecelia...-celiac-disease

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

Grrr, Kareng,

That just kind irritated me just a bit more. The first 1 seemed to go a good way towards being Celiac and the second just blew it out of the water because it could be something else. :wacko:  But the 1 thing that sticks out is my immune system. Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease, Rynauds and other stems from immune problems plus gastro problems.

Geeze Louise, I need to be gluten-free but it's gotten to be such a darn hassle plus my depression dosen't help matters as well as stressors on top of everything.

But do appreciate the help Karen.  Thank you.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

(hugs) You've dealt with a lot.  :(

I would advise you to go gluten-free. You "could" be a celiac, have symptoms, have other autoimmune problems so are more likely to have celiac, and many of the diseases you are dealing with tend to respond positively to a gluten-free diet even when the patient is not a celiac because it can reduce inflammation.

You might as well go gluten-free again. I know it's a hassle and can be difficult when you feel so poor, but it could help you feel better withing a few weeks or months.

Best wishes.

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi Txplowgirl,

Your improvement when gluten-free plus villi blunting sure seem like strong indicators of celiac to me.  Not having total villi destruction as a criteria for celiac is wrong.  The Marsh scale rates villi damage at various levels, and not just as the worst damage.  Your GI doc should be able to tell you your Marsh scale rating.  For that matter, he should give you a copy of the results for your records.  You may need them if you end up going to real gastroenterologist someday.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

.... slight villi blunting....

I love these doctors who won't diagnose officially, until you are at least 3/4 dead already.  <_<

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

I love these doctors who won't diagnose officially, until you are at least 3/4 dead already.  <_<

Me too.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: