This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Other Allergies - Long Term Damage?

Nikki2777

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Hi - still relatively newly diagnosed (about two months).  For the last couple of years, about the same length of time I've had celiac symptoms, I've noticed that eating lots of pistachios gives me mild D.  However, I do still love them and hope to be able to keep having them -- am I doing similar type of damage to my villi or anything else by eating them occasionally?  I have no reason to think they're gluten cross contaminated (though I admit, I don't think I've read the packaging).  Usually Costco/Kirkland brand, if that helps.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

They could be cc'd. Most nuts, to my understanding, can be. There are some on here who have found certified gluten free ones online.

Gemini Experienced

Nuts are all fat and fats can be hard to digest in the newly diagnosed.  I would just make sure you don't overdo it...which can be hard to do because pistachios are good! 

Thanks to both of you - I think I'll check out the certified gluten-free pistachios.  If those make me sick, too, then I know it's not gluten.  And that's interesting about the fats.  I had a big (big!) helping of guacamole last night and had difficulty this morning -- Sounds like that could have been why.  And this would go away as I heal, right?  (because I'd hate to give up my pistachios and guac)

powerofpositivethinking Community Regular

I didn't have D, but I was having problems digesting nuts that were not CC, particularly almonds and in addition, coconut flakes.  My guess is that because of their high fat and fiber content, it was tearing up my system, so I decided it was best to lay off them for awhile, and I'll try reintroducing in a few months.  In the meantime, awhile back I was unintentionally not eating enough fat, so in order to avoid going down that road again, I have been adding olive, avocado and coconut oil into my diet.  Coconut oil seems to not cause a problem since it doesn't have the fiber component to it.  

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but leave them out for awhile, and then reintroduce them.

here's the link to a thread I started, so hopefully it'll give you more ideas!

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/100684-nuts-in-stoolnormal-or-not/

Deaminated Marcus Apprentice

My food intolerance test said I have an intolerance to pistachios but I didn't test them yet.

I agree with Gemini and powerofpositivethinking, it's likely the fat and fiber in them.

How about testing it with just a 1/2 cup a day?

Thanks, all - this is very helpful.  It's probably the fat content.  I've ordered some certified gluten-free pistachios and I'll see how I do with those.  Good or bad, looks like I need to lay off them for a while.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived