33 replies to this topic

#16 becksss

becksss

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

You could try ciders.. They are delicious... Michelob makes one that is naturally gluten free!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

i was drinking redbridge, but recently tried bards and new planet.  my beer guy is going to hate me, i'm going to make him order bards and send back the redbridge.  

just another 'click' - the bards is nicer to my gut :)  and i like the taste better..   the new planet 'blonde' was absolutely delish but i can't find it around here.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 JoyMurphy

JoyMurphy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:54 AM

This is a late weigh in, but I used to only like bards..... My new love? Glutenberg blond ale...... Omg!!!!!! I was in love! They are out of Montreal and started to import this year

#19 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

Does Glutenberg blond ale use a dedicated facility?  I haven't heard of them.

#20 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

I've also never heard of Glutenberg beer. They claim to get 0ppm (as in zero) - that's quite a claim! According to their FAQ they are a gluten free facility: https://glutenberg.ca/usa/faq/

I'll have to see if we can get it in the Boston area.

This thread is timely for me because I was planning on resurrecting it too!

I just definitely reacted to Green's. Not a huge reaction, but definitely a reaction. I've been off gluten-free-beer all summer (cider is just more appealing to me when the weather is warm, btw I do fine with Crispin's cider). This week I decided to have a Green's. I've been ok with it in the past, but with some doubtful incidents. This time I was sure it was the Green's. I emailed the distributor who confirmed they test to 20ppm (not good enough for me) and are brewed in a regular brewery with other beers. So, sniff, I guess it's back to Bard's for me. 

I've also read a misconception on this forum (another thread) that Bard's is processed in a gluten-free-facility. It is not. I confirmed directly with them after the Green's incident. However, Bard's takes extra precautions to guard against cc with their raw ingredients and to super-clean their equipment. They also bypass the facility's grain handling system and test repeatedly to 10ppm. I've never noticed a problem with it, but it's been a while since I've had one.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

#21 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

I thought that Bards was from a gluten-free facility too.  How did you confirm that?  I can't find it on their webpage.  I believe that I have reacted to Greens too.  Bards was better, but still a bit hit and miss so I haven't had any beer for awhile.  I looked up Glutenberg too.  I clicked on their "view the chemical analysis report" and it says 0.00 ppm gluten.  The method that was used is R5 Elisa.  It doesn't say whether it was competitive or sandwich, only the former is useful for detecting hydrolyzed gluten.  I think that the detection limits are such that there a few too many significant figures present in the 0.00 figure.  I remember working hard to teach that concept to freshman chemistry students.  This gives some information about the tests: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22365676

I'm going to be in Montreal in the new year.  I think I'll look this up.

#22 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

I emailed Bards directly and they responded right away. 

The 10ppm I read somewhere else (I think on their site somewhere?) 

I'm ok with other gluten-free products in dedicated facilities that test to 10ppm (Udi's, Namaste). I don't love the shared facility part, but I'd be comfortable going to back to Bards and trying it again. I just don't love the taste, but it's ok.

#23 JoyMurphy

JoyMurphy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:41 AM

you can get glutenberg in boston.  New England def has it.  Other areas not so much yet.   Not a fan of the American Pale Ale, but I don't like IPA and the red...it;s an aquired taste....but the Blonde....YUM!!!!!!!  And a cool oil can too!

I drove from Plymouth to Stoneham the day they got it in and cleared them out.  Now a lot of places have it.  Some restaurants carry it too.  I know there is a restaurant in JP that had a tasting dinner one night.

#24 JoyMurphy

JoyMurphy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

daura is delicious but it gave me an instant headache...too many ppm.  

#25 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

JoyMurphy, I was posting to you in another thread where you said that you were on the Fasano diet.  I didn't think that it included alcoholic beverages.  I looked it up and it doesn't.  That may be another reason for ongoing symptoms.

#26 JoyMurphy

JoyMurphy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

Steph, unfortunately for me, I bought my truck load of glutenberg 2 weeks before they put me on the Fasano.  Sadly, it has all sat there in the fridge alone.   I came to the end of the Fasano a few months ago.  Since then I have been very careful about bringing things back.  I have though enjoyed a couple glutenbergs since then, with no problems.  Sadly for the Glutenberg folks, I tend to stick with red wine or tequila when I do have a drink.  

#27 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Green's beer is much, much stronger than most beers as it comes from Belgium.  Alcohol content is between 6-8.5%.  That could be why many people don't feel well after consuming it.

I am an extremely sensitive, diagnosed Celiac and, while I much prefer wine to beer, have had it with no issues.  BUT...I do not have any other intolerances other than dairy and that wouldn't come into play with beer.  Just because someone tests down to 20ppm's, does not mean there is that much in the beer.  I thought we had straightened that issue out but I guess many aren't listening.  I really hate it when people give negative reviews on a safe and delicious beer due to a lack of understanding on gluten level testing in a product.  <_<

#28 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm sorry, I thought this was the super-sensitive forum? Where we're "allowed" to react below 20ppm? I never said it had more than 20ppm. My body will happily oblige and react to less. You should read more carefully.

You're also saying I don't know the difference between too much alcohol and gluten exposure, and that I shouldn't report my experience because it's a "negative review". That's absolutely uncalled for. Just because you personally haven't reacted to a product doesn't mean you have the right to speak for others about their experiences. I had a classic gluten reaction, and unfortunately I've been at this for quite a while (not a newbie). I had strong neuro, gi and fatigue symptoms following the exposure and for several days afterwards (typical for me). One week later, I'm still unable to sleep. That should taper off shortly.

#29 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

I'm sorry, I thought this was the super-sensitive forum? Where we're "allowed" to react below 20ppm? I never said it had more than 20ppm. My body will happily oblige and react to less. You should read more carefully.

You're also saying I don't know the difference between too much alcohol and gluten exposure, and that I shouldn't report my experience because it's a "negative review". That's absolutely uncalled for. Just because you personally haven't reacted to a product doesn't mean you have the right to speak for others about their experiences. I had a classic gluten reaction, and unfortunately I've been at this for quite a while (not a newbie). I had strong neuro, gi and fatigue symptoms following the exposure and for several days afterwards (typical for me). One week later, I'm still unable to sleep. That should taper off shortly.

As mentioned above, I also had problems with Greens and as not mentioned, it also didn't have to do with the amount of alcohol consumed.  I can consume that amount from other sources.  I am sorry that you got hit and I hope that you continue to improve.  It would be nice to have more awareness of differences in sensitivity level and to have that made clear on a gluten-free label.  I think that the FDA threw the more sensitives under a bus when it decided to go with the 20 ppm limit.  This is especially so when their own hazard assessment report said that some react to lower levels.  They are clearly aware of that.

#30 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

Just a note on Green's - they used to make 3 kinds which were all from gluten free grains (blond, amber and dark - I think from buckwheat, sorghum and rice).  Apparently, they're still making these types, but they've also started making beers from 'de-glutinized' barley. I don't know whether these beers are being sold in the U.S. yet or if they're just in Europe - but thought I would throw it out there that people having a reaction to Green's may want to confirm that they're drinking the ones made from non-gluten grains rather than the ones that contain the de-glutinized barley.  Was disappointed to see that they're doing this, but so it goes.

The only 100% gluten-free brewery I've heard of in the U.S. is Harvester in Portland, OR - they do use certified gluten-free oats, though, so some may have a problem with that.  Supposedly, a 100% gluten-free brewery will be opening sometime in the next year in Madison, WI, too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: