Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Soap Causing Abdominal Pain

6 posts in this topic

I find every soap I have tried caused the same abdominal pains that I get from eating wheat. Has anyone else experienced this?

Ads by Google:

No, I can't say that soap has ever caused me abdominal pain. 

I am a soap maker.  I do not sell soap.  Many soap makers use wheat germ in their formulas.  I don't know if that could cause such pains, but I think some absorption takes place.  You might check a craft fair for homemade soap, or learn to make it yourself as I do.

My soap has:

Coconut oil

Olive oil

Palm oil

Lye (Be careful with this, gloves and goggles are important.

distilled water

essential oil if desired. Peppermint might be good for your tummy issues if you tolerate it.

I don't use anything besides my own soap these days.

Very few things are absorbed thru the skin. Gluten is a large molecule. If so many things were absorbed thru the skin....we would be absorbing all the salty ocean water or the smoke from the BBQ grill or the dirt in the garden.

Assuming you aren't outright eating the soap... You could get some in your mouth during a shower so you could make sure your soap has as few "natural" ingredients as possible that you could be allergic to.

What soaps have you tried and what are you doing with them?  How do you know that the soap is causing the pain?  How soon after using it are you having the pain?  I often notice glutening pain the next morning after I have eaten something with cc, and I can't tell what it is because it could have been anything I had during that day.  I need to spend long periods sometimes eliminating things one by one to figure out what it is.  

I use a soap made from the one olive oil that I can eat on my hands and body, but I use a "regular" dish soap and don't have noticeable problems with that.  Though I don't eat soap, I do bite my nails sometimes, though I try not to, so I think that I probably ingest a little whether I like it or not.

I have to wonder if it is from the soap and not something else. I had abdominal pains long after going gluten free and just recently found out about the link between vitamin B12 deficiency (which I have) and abdominal pain similar to IBS. The pain disipated within minutes of taking a B12 supplement (gluten-free, of course).

If you are showering and eating at similar times every day, I guess it could make sense that what appears to be related to a soap, could actually be your bowels responding to an earlier meal? 

I looked up gluten-free soap when I went gluten-free, and though I bought the gluten-free shampoos, didn't bother worrying about the soap because the information I found said it doesn't absorb through the skin and that only those with gluten-related skin problems should worry. That said, I already use artisan soaps that I don't suspect to contain gluten, or at least they don't seem to be causing problems.

I did have a face soap years ago, long before I knew that gluten was a problem for me, that I stopped using because it seemed to be causing or making worse sebhoratic dermatitis on my face. In hindsight, gluten was probably the root cause, though I'll never know if it was from ingestion or the soap. Perhaps it was both?

But I would suspect the soap more if you were experiencing skin problems rather than digestive. Any rashes, hives, or others sort of dermatitis?

How about going to a farmer's market type venue where the person who made the soap could possibly be the actual person selling it to you and quiz them on the ingredients before buying one to test out your soap suspicions? Else, I'd make my own in order to be certain.

FYI, when you look for soap recipes, those that have lots of glycerine are great for pulling moisture in the air to your skin.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Thank you cyclinglady! We'll just keep pushing forward and we'll get things figured out one way or another. You have been most helpful and informative and given me some great resources and things to consider. I really appreciate it! I definitely feel better as I've felt like a crazy mom lately thinking through the test results and everything. Even if it turns out to not be celiac or gluten related, at least I can say we did our due diligence and looked under every rock to find the source of his troubles. Thanks again!  Take care! 
    • Anxiety is quite a common symptom with undiagnosed celiacs. It should improve if not disappear when you go gluten free. Be sure to CONTINUE eating gluten until the endoscopy!   Welcome to the club!
    • Although serological tests are useful for identifying celiac disease, it is well known that a small minority of celiacs are seronegative, and show no blood markers for celiac disease. A team of researchers wanted to define the prevalence and features of seronegative compared to seropositive celiac disease, and to establish whether celiac disease is a common cause of seronegative villous atrophy. View the full article
    • This was absolutely me before diagnosis.  The worst of all of my Celiac symptoms occurred in the morning.  The anxiety was terrible in the mornings, I had horrible nausea, no appetite, felt light headed, dizzy and shaky, diarrhea, stomach cramps... the works.  Honestly, I don't know if it was the symptoms causing the anxiety, the anxiety making my symptoms worse, or a combination.  I almost dropped out of school because I felt so terrible every morning I didn't want to leave the house to go to class.  The first few doctors I saw insisted all of my symptoms were psychological and tried to give me anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds, but I knew there was something else wrong with me.  I had always been a bit "high-strung," but for the year I was really sick before diagnosis, the anxiety got out of control. I was diagnosed with celiac disease 6 months ago and have been gluten free ever since.  It took time, but everything is gradually improving.  The morning anxiety is much improved and some mornings, is completely gone.  I realized a month or two ago that I no longer spend the first hour after waking up gagging and dry-heaving, something I had done for so many years that I just thought it was normal for me.  I can brush my teeth and my tongue without feeling like I'm going to puke.  I eat breakfast now, which I have never done, because I was always too anxious and nauseous in the mornings to be hungry.  I am not "all better."  I still have bad days and even bad weeks.  If I get glutened the anxiety comes back full force.  If I'm super-stressed out or letting my health slide (not eating well, not sleeping enough) the AM anxiety seems to return.  But, it has been slowly improving over the last 6 months and has become so much more manageable.   Your anxiety could be a separate disorder from the celiac disease, but for me, it seems it was absolutely related and continues to get better.  Don't get discouraged if you don't see an immediate improvement or experience relapses after improving.  Often, I feel like it's a two-step-forward, one-step-back kind of thing, but it is getting better.
    • I have suffered with GERD for 20 years and accidently found out it was a gluten intolerance. I had gone on Atkins years ago and noticed that I had no GERD symptoms while on the diet. I didn't make the connection at that time. Then I went on the Mayo Diet back in the winter and once again, the constant was having no bread primarily. I had also noticed that I would have major attacks anytime I ate Italian food. I blamed it on the onions, the tomatoes, herbs...but I could tolerate all those foods separately. Then, like a lightning bolt...it hit me...the culprit was the "innocent" pasta. BINGO!!  I went gluten-free in March 2016 and I have had no GERD now in 5 months. I feel as if it is a gift to me.   
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    EJ653