Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Happy Recovery Stories?

7 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

Just wondering if there was a thread or blog I could refer to for positive recovery stories. People in my life are worried about me and I'd like to speak to them with a more upbeat perspective. I know it's not all rainbows and butterflies but it would be helpful to have stories from the veterans who are experiencing improvements.

If anyone has already shared a recovery story on here, if you could post a link, I'd be grateful :-)

Thanks!

Cali

Ads by Google:

All I can say Cali is that I was a classic Celiac.....skinny and malnourished.  I weighed 94 pounds at time of diagnosis.  I also have 3 other autoimmune diseases besides Celiac. It took 3 years for all the Celiac symptoms to resolve but I got slowly better all the time.  Fast forward 8 years gluten-free and I am the healthiest I have ever been in my life.  I am no spring chicken, either.  I am 54 years old.  I go to the gym and do weight training and cardio, feel good about 99% of the time and have zero stomach issues these days.  I rarely take a hit anymore.  My other 3 AI diseases are much better also.  The most powerful piece of advice I can give is eat a strict gluten-free diet and stay positive that you will heal.  It just takes time....too much time it seems, but you didn't get sick overnight and you aren't going to heal overnight.

I see you have many intolerances and that is certainly daunting but you can get better with some work and patience.  Who knows?  You may be able to eat some of those forbidden foods again, once you heal.  Good luck!

I was pretty asymptomatic - except for bone loss and some weight loss. 

After six months on the diet my anti-bodies were near normal and my endoscopy showed complete healing!

Check out the blog Gluten Free Girl and the Chef. Shauna, the author, has an AMAZING upbeat attitude about life with Celiac. Whenever I hit a rough spot, I go read her blog. It's also full of good recipes. 

As for good recovery stories... I'm doing pretty well with mine. I started this whole process in February where I had just accepted I was going to be sick and never fully grow out of my ADD. Then I finally got tested. Ever since I started going gluten free after my endoscopy, I am such a happier person. I can remember things more easily, my anxiety and insecurity has almost disappeared, I don't have to use my ADD meds any more and I feel great. 

One of my favorite things about Celiac is that we don't need medication or anything like that. We can heal ourselves just by eating all these amazing foods that most people are never exposed to. My best advice for helping this process be more "rainbows and butterflies" is to keep an open mind and positive attitude about what you're going through. And allow yourself to feel everything. By that I mean don't try to shut down the sadness or frustration when you can't eat something you used to love. It helps it not boil up into resentment. I also tell people not to pity me when they find out that I can't eat XYZ. Finding out I have Celiac changed my life in a really positive way. 

Hope that helps and makes sense :P

Before diagnosis:  I felt like I carried 100lb  weight on my back all day everyday for 30 years.  Today that burden is mostly gone.  Compared to life before the diet; Living without gluten is a piece of cake!  It has been quite a walk to get here with many twists and bumps, I also have a ways to go, but Thank God the weight is off my back!

I remember starting a recovery thread..http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/95498-symptoms-that-improved-on-supplements-and-gluten-free-diet/

Here is another I found.  http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/96200-the-100-positive-thread/?hl=getting+better

I think I may have seen yet another recovery thread since beginning last May.

D

Cali,

Gotta Ski (Lisa) started a thread about her amazing recovery here and I piped in too---as did others.

Hope this adds more "healing stories" to your collection

Hugs,

IH

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/101113-what-a-difference-a-year-well-four-years-makes/?hl=+what%20+difference%20+year%20+makes

I think it will be a bit tough to find success stories around here because most of us are here for support because we are still healing.  I'm guessing those who are well don't need us as much....which is good. :)

I'm a happy recovery story in progress. i was diagnosed a year ago. Actually, I self diagnosed a year ago and took a home Biocard tTG IgA test to confirm it, and then I went to the doctor and he ran another tTG and an EMA on me and agreed. I am almost certain that I have had it my whole life but when I trustingly went to the doctor as a young child for my "tummy aches" the doctor told us that I was 'one of those people who had a stomach ache every time she ate'. Helpful. Thanks. :rolleyes:

At diagnosis I also requested my thyroid be rechecked because i knew there was a link between celiac disease and hypothyroidism. I had been checked a few times over the last 15 years for hypothyroidism because of my symptoms but my TSH was always near normal or within range so the doctors said I was normal (this was back when I trusted doctors completely - ignorance is not bliss). Anyway, my TSH happened to be high enough that they believed me and I began thyroid treatment too.

Within the first few months, many of my GI symptoms improved greatly. Multiple stomach aches a day and bloating went away first. I didn't expect eating gluten-free to take away my migraines but it mostly did; I had 2-5 days of migraines a month instead of 2-3 weeks worth.... much nicer. My hair starting thickening up pretty quickly and I stopped getting leg cramps in the night.

I do have a lot of symptoms that have lingered. Some are due to undertreated hypothyroidism but I am hopeful that more of those will resolve as time goes by. Some are due to celiac disease - I ate gluten for 38 years so I imagine it won't completely get back to where it should be if I had been gluten-free from birth. I'm better than I was 6 months ago though.

I still have joint pain but it is quite a bit better. I can open jars again and I can shoot hoops with my kids with a full range of motion (even if i do fatigue early and hurt for a while afterwards). My hair is thicker but is still affected by my thyroid.  After given up my precious diet Pepsi, my migraines are only down to a 1 day of pms. I get stomach aches about once a day - they aren't gluten related and they are pretty random. I actually have a mild one right now after having 2 slices of bacon and some coffee, neither of which is usually a problem for me.  It seems pretty random.

Some symptomas don't seem to want to improve: fatigue has improved some but not a lot, and my memory/cognitive functions are not as sharp as they were and have appeared to get worse over the last few months. It is entirely possible that those symptoms aren't caused by celiac disease for me so I'm taking a wait and see approach.

So overall I am getting better. I still moan and complain about what hasn't improved, but I know that I am working towards better health now and I won't continue on the downhill slide that I was on. It's a mostly happy recovering story.  LOL ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Question on posting
      I made an informative video for Celiac Awareness Month that demonstrates how small 20ppm is. Am I allowed to post a vimeo link? Thanks!
    • Celiac Awareness on NBC Nightly News
      http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/celiac-disease-affecting-millions-of-americans-often-goes-undiagnosed-692131907739   This was on last Tuesday. So happy that a popular national news program is spreading good information!
    • The US Preventative Services Task Force needs our help - tell them why Celiac screening is important!
      I am so angry. I am all about universal screening for Celiac Disease. It is a tricky disease to diagnose. Your only symptoms may be joint pain, depression, or weak nails, which people will try to cure with medication or a good manicure. With roughly 80% of the Celiac population remaining undiagnosed, universal screening could save thousands of lives. This article popped up in my twitter feed regarding US physicians who are unsure whether universal screening would provide “health benefits” for those who exhibit no symptoms (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-celiac-screening-idUSKCN0XU2G6?utm_content=buffer3ed50&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer) First of all, no symptom is a symptom! There is something called “Silent Celiac Disease”, and I personally know several people who have it. They experience no outward symptoms caused by gluten consumption, but their insides are being torn apart. If they eat gluten, they may not feel it, but they are highly at risk for long term complications such as cancer, miscarriages, and osteoporosis, just to name a few. Also, let’s consider the non-GI related symptoms of Celiac. Doctors, how many times does someone walk into your office and say, “Gee, Doc, could you test me for Celiac Disease? I have (insert one of the following)”: asthma bladder infections dental problems dandruff high blood pressure headaches blurred vision leg cramps back pain pale skin brittle nails acne bad bread mood swings ADD Anxiety Depression a short temper night terrors panic attacks irrational anger sinus pressure Those are just a few of the symptoms that people don’t think to associate with Celiac Disease, and I’m sure that you, Mr. Doctor, will not test someone with Celiac Disease if they have dandruff. This is why so many people are undiagnosed! People do not recognize the symptoms and doctors won’t think to give them a blood test. This is why I always say – You cannot know that you do not have Celiac Disease until you get tested. “One concern with widespread screening is that biopsies aren’t risk-free and may confirm cases of celiac disease that weren’t causing problems for patients and didn’t necessarily require treatment, Krist noted.” WHAT?????? First of all, most Celiac screening starts with a gene test or a blood test. That aside, ALL confirmed cases of Celiac Disease require treatment!! Untreated Celiac Disease can cause many problems in the future. “Guidelines for gastroenterologists recommend celiac screening for people with a close relative with celiac and for diabetics who are at increased risk for the disease, Murray said by email.” I was the first person in my family to be diagnosed. 80% of Celiacs don’t know they have it. I would have never been diagnosed if my gastroenterologist said, “Well you don’t have diabetes and no one in your family has it….” No one in my family had heard about Celiac Disease, let alone had been tested for it. And we have all of the tradition GI symptoms. This is not a rare disease. About 1% of the population has Celiac Disease. Take a look at your facebook friends list – have 500 friends? Odds are that you know four or five friends with Celiac. MAYBE one of them will be diagnosed. Maybe. The others will be suffering in silence. “The USPSTF, a government-backed independent organization that reviews medical evidence, issues recommendations that are closely watched by doctors and insurers. This is the first time the USPSTF has weighed in on screening for celiac disease, and the task force will accept public comments until May 30 before releasing final guidelines.” This brought me to the USPSTF website. In their draft, here is what is listed as “Potential Harms” of screening in asymptomatic populations. I’ve included my response: False positive – there are rarely false positives Unnecessary serologic tests and biopsies – umm…only do a biopsy if you have a positive blood test. And what’s so bad about a blood test? Anxiety of complications from testing – I had much more anxiety in my pre-Celiac days, not knowing if I would poop my pants at work. “Some patients with positive serology who do not undergo histologic confirmation may embark on efforts to avoid dietary gluten, which can increase costs and burdens and may result in decreased quality of life” “– I’m glad that you think my life is so terrible. “Limited evidence from long-term followup studies have shown that some persons with biopsy-confirmed celiac disease may never develop symptoms or complications” – I’m not going to risk getting cancer, are you??? The USPSTF is taking public responses to their draft, all of which must be submitted by May 30th. I highly urge you to write in and explain why universal screening is important. My Celiac diagnosis saved my life. If universal screening can do the same for a huge portion of the population – I am all for it. This could be the most important thing you do for Celiac Awareness Month. Read the draft and write to the USPSTF here. http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/draft-recommendation-statement150/celiac-disease-screening
    • New to this--first gluttened exp. How to feel better?
      Just adding to what others have said.  It does take some time but it's likely you will start to feel better.  It took me about a year but now I feel great.  A good probiotic might help.  I use one from Synergy that my naturopathic doctor sells at her office.  I have gotten in the habit of emailing restaurants before I try them and have had very good luck.  One owner of a very popular restaurant in my area took the time to reply and said she had Celiac disease (she sent great detailed info about their food).  Many of the people responding will even tell you who to ask for when you come in.  Good luck and hoping you feel better soon.
    • How effective is HD skin biopsy after being gluten free for a year
      i am presuming that the boils were dx as acne inversa, which can have a relationship to celiac in some persons
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ladywolf