3 replies to this topic

#1 EmiPark210

EmiPark210

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

So I was eating some lovely soy chocolate pudding that says "gluten free" on it in 6 languages and in 3 different places, and then I looked at the ingredients and it listed "wheat syrup" and "wheat starch" in the ingredients. And before we get on the "saying gluten free doesn't mean it" rants, I'm in Austria which has very very strict labeling laws. 

Are these things safe? I'm so confused....

IBS Diagnosis: 2010

Celiac blood results: 2/21/13 Positive

Biopsy: 4/19/13 - visually positive, 4/23/13 - positive

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

You can get wheat starch that has had all gluten removed from it, so that may explain it. I won't even touch foods that say that as I am very sensitive to wheat as well as having coeliac disease. Hope you are Okay!
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#3 seezee

seezee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

There was a product that had something called gluten-free wheat fiber in the gluten-free meal from American Airlines that I didn't eat. It was kid of gross anyway as was the whole meal. 

#4 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

If it says wheat... I wouldn't trust it, even if it does say it's gluten free. Anything where the gluten's been "removed" kind of freaks me out.

But if you don't end up getting ccd, then maybe you don't have a problem with it. Might be worth contacting the company to see what their testing standards are.

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: