Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Beware Archer Farms Gluten Free Fusili

21 posts in this topic

WARNING.

Archer Farms gluten free Fusili (target brand) says on the back of the bag: processed in a facility that uses wheat.

I got pretty sick. My own fault for not reading more carefully. Please learn from my mistake -don't get sick too!

Am in the process of writing to Archer Farms b/c I am PISSED.

Can anyone recommend another italian gluten free pasta?

Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I wouldn't be mad at the company. They DID write on the label that it was made in a facility that processes wheat. Lots of companies do that - say something is gluten-free because they use no gluten ingredients. There are even a lot of folks here who DON'T usually get sick from eating something made in facilities that process wheat. Some folks are more sensitive than others.

Learning to read EVERY label EVERY time is hard to get used to, but after a while you will do it without thinking. I'm sorry you're sick, but I think every one of us has had to learn the hard way.

As for other pastas, I can't help you. Most pastas I have seen have some form of corn in them so I can't eat them. Never been a big pasta fan anyway so it's no big deal to me. (I think it's because spaghetti was my Dad's favorite. Mom cooked it OFTEN and I got sick of it as a kid.)

Why are you mad at them? I love it when companies write the considerate message of processed in a facility that handles wheat. 

Taking it out on them even though they were considerate won't make your gluten-symptoms go away. 

Double probiotics and lots of water and rest. Get well soon

I truly appreciate that some companies have the decency to print warnings like that on their label. I can then choose to either contact them or not about their manufacturing processes and make a choice from there. But I never eat any of those products without checking. I understand being mad, but being mad at the company when they took every precaution they could in pointing out this could happen just seems pointless.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks I'm mad at the company. I put this post up as a warning so others don't miss the fine print on the bag.

I have not seen any Archer Farms gluten-free pasta at my Target.  I get Tinkyada at Target.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks I'm mad at the company. I put this post up as a warning so others don't miss the fine print on the bag.

Because you said this?  "Am in the process of writing to Archer Farms b/c I am PISSED." :lol: I guess we thought you were ticked off at THEM instead of yourself, but it looks like you ARE mad at yourself and are writing to them to find out about their other products and about their cleaning practices?

I also understood that you were writing them an angry email. I guess you weren't? :-) Thanks for the warning. I've learned from experience to read every last paragraph on the labels from every side of the package. This will come to you in time. Hang in there. 

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm mad at ME.

Don't take it heart, and think of it as an experience which will only benefit you the future. 

Thank you all!!

I can't believe I missed it. Sigh. I will continue to search for another gluten free pasta imported from Italy.

Yes, it is! I just checked their website and it's available at two stores near me! I will try it this week.

Thanks!

Thank you all!!

I can't believe I missed it. Sigh. I will continue to search for another gluten free pasta imported from Italy.

You know Archer Farms is Targets generic brand, right? I doubt its from Italy.

Yes, I'm aware, and it really is imported from Italy.

LOL, I know! I was shocked when I first saw it too.

Archer Farms also has imported gelato. Just sayin. (I will not be held responsible for how much money gets spent tomorrow at Target. :ph34r:) Some of their things are okay, others aren't, but they are really good about labeling for CC/shared facilities which I really appreciate. :)

Hope you're feeling a little better by now.

Finally feeling better. Thank you all for your support. I probably got a CC'd batch of the pasta - won't be buying again. Bought a bag of bionaturae so I'll be trying that one next, in a few weeks.

I was pissed when I went to cook it and saw that warning the first time and wanted to go back to the store and break every bag but I eventually actually looked the company up and on their website they claim to regularly test it and ensure it is below 20ppm (the standard for certified gluten free now from what I understand) to be fair I still haven't eaten it because I realized I'm having a difficult time with a lot of the pastas right now anyways.