This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free/soy Free Stir Fry

Jen H

Jen H Contributor

I'd love to make stir fry, but I'm not sure what kind of sauce to substitute for the wheat free soy. Anyone have a good recipe? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

La Choy is gluten free.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
La Choy is gluten free.

But it's not soy-free, and Jen is looking for a gluten-free and soy-free stir fry sauce.

Here's a good one:

If you're making chicken or beef, slice it very thin across the grain (freeze it for an hour before you slice it for the best results), and marinate it (even for 10 minutes is fine) in a combination of either rice wine or white wine (maybe 1/4 cup), a tablespoon of cornstarch, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Heat your wok or pan, add a tablespoon or 2 of peanut oil (or whatever oil you like except olive), let it heat for another 10-20 seconds or so, then add no more than 1/3 pound of the meat. Stir fry for 2 minutes, remove from pan, add 1 more spoonful of oil, and another batch of chicken. Keep cooking in batches until you've cooked all your meat (I have a large family, so I usually use at least a pound of meat), then add one more spoonful of oil and whatever veggies you want. When they're done to your liking, throw the meat backin the pan with them and add a little more white wine. You can also add a little chicken or beef broth for a deeper flavor.

Sorry I don't have exact amounts, I'm one of those annoying "just toss it in" kind of cooks--drives my husband batty.

lonewolf Collaborator

Just a hint - toasted sesame oil is good for stir-fry. Gives some more asian flavor. Use half sesame oil with your other oil.

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't do soy, either. When I make a stir fry, a few minutes before it's ready, I put in a small can of pineapple chunks with the juice. I stir it around until it comes to a boil, then thicken it with a little potato starch (you could use cornstarch) mixed with a bit of water.

Jen H Contributor

Wow, great ideas! Thanks for sharing your recipes. I'll try them next weekend.

Diosa Apprentice

I found a great sweet and sour chicken recipe online. It was so/gluten/dairy free. I made my own soy sauce as well. It's mostly beef broth with spices. It's not as dark as store bought, but it took no time to throw together.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor
I found a great sweet and sour chicken recipe online. It was so/gluten/dairy free. I made my own soy sauce as well. It's mostly beef broth with spices. It's not as dark as store bought, but it took no time to throw together.

Beth ~ would you share that recipe? This thread is really getting me in the mood for some chinese!!

Diosa Apprentice

Sure! I found this one off of Recipezaar, with my own modifications. I made sure to season the chicken with plenty of Vege-Sal and pepper. I also added a bit more vinegar than recommended, and made sure to use cider vinegar. For those who can't have vinegar, I bet a mix of lemon/lime juice would work really well. Also I de-glutened this by using cauliflower "rice".

Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe #141131

YUMMMMM!

1/2 head cauliflower, shredded

1 Tbsp oil

3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes (about 3/4 lbs.)

1 small green bell peppers, cut into strips

1 small red bell peppers, cut into strips

3 Tbsp vinegar

1 Tbsp cornstarch

3 Tbsp brown sugar

1/4 cup soy sauce substitute

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1 (8 oz) can chunk pineapple in juice

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1. For the rice, put the shredded cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and cover. Add a few tablespoons of water and microwave for 6 minutes or so.

2. Meanwhile, cook and stir chicken in hot oil in large skillet until brown. Add peppers; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Stir cornstarch and soy sauce in small bowl. Add soy sauce mixture, pineapple in juice, vinegar, sugar, ginger and garlic powder to skillet; bring to boil. Enjoy.

Soy Sauce substitute

2 cups low sodium beef broth

2 teaspoons cider vinegar (or lemon/lime juice)

1 teaspoon molasses

1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

1 dash black pepper

1 dash garlic powder

1 dash onion powder

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and boil uncover until reduced to 1/2 cup. Store in refrigerator. Stir/Shake before using. (2-4 servings)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thai kitchen has a lot of soy and gluten free recipes on their website.

Open Original Shared Link

I also have some gluten and soy free recipes on this thread: Open Original Shared Link

kabowman Explorer

Thank you VERY MUCH for the soy sauce replacement receipe!!!!

That was one of the few things I haven't tried to replace yet. Now I am dying for Chineese food too!

jerseyangel Proficient

I am going to try that soy sauce recipe! It look great, and I could never figure out what to use instead of soy sauce. Thank you so much :) I will be making some Chinese food this weekend--my husband will be thanking you, too :D

Diosa Apprentice
Thai kitchen has a lot of soy and gluten free recipes on their website.

I also have some gluten and soy free recipes on this thread: Open Original Shared Link

Those Thai Kitchen ones look great. I saw they had a Tom Yum soup on there. I haven't had hot and sour soup in ages.

Your recipes always rock. You really should consider a cookbook.

-----

You guys are welcome on the soy sauce recipe. :) It was the best one I've found as it tastes the closest to what I'm used to. If you use real beef broth, I'm sure it would really rock. I use these vegan cubes which work well enough. (I usually forget to buy beef stock. :) )

Cheri A Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Esp. for that soy sauce recipe!! I'm making some this weekend too!! Yummy! Going to check out the links that Carrie posted now too!!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Your recipes always rock. You really should consider a cookbook.
Thanks! I hope to make a cookbook someday! I love to cook!
jerseyangel Proficient

Carrie's recipes are great! I made her stuffing at Thanksgiving, and it was a hit with everyone. I've tried many of the stir fry ideas, too. And Carrie, if you see this--love the new picture :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Carrie's recipes are great! I made her stuffing at Thanksgiving, and it was a hit with everyone. I've tried many of the stir fry ideas, too. And Carrie, if you see this--love the new picture
Thank you :) My family and friends also like the stuffing recipe.
momandgirls Enthusiast

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for the soy sauce recipe. We're a gluten/soy/dairy free house and we've really missed soy sauce. Can't wait to try it! Thanks again.

Jen H Contributor

Mmmmm.....thanks for the soy substitution recipe. I checked all the bottles in the Asian food section of the supermarket and couldn't find anything that was both gluten-free and Soy free. I love that it's a homemade sauce! I"ll let you know how it goes!

Lynxear Rookie

If you wish stir-fries that are gluten and soy free then consider Thai cooking.

Only one or two sauces contain any soy sauce and they don't contain gluten unless there is soy sauce.

This is a good website that describes what Thai sauces contain if you make your own:

You can make the green curry sauce as described in the above link but if you go to a good Asian grocery or Asian supermarket you can find a suitable one on the shelf. I like one called Maejin brand which is a product of Thailand and imported into Canada by Chase Trading Group.

My favourite Thai curry is Green Curry Chicken

There are many recipes for on the internet but it really is not that complicated once you have the green curry sauce...This is my way of cooking this dish

ingredients

500 gms boneless skinless chicken cut up into cubes

3 tbsp Green Curry Sauce

2 cloves minced garlic

1 whole lime washed and quartered (leave the peel on)

3 stalks celery roughly chopped

1 - 6" to 8" japanese eggplant (long and thin....you can substitute zuchini if you have to)

1 large red bell pepper deseeded and roughly chopped

3-4 stalks bok choy or nappa choy chopped into large pieces

1½ tbsp fish sauce

1 tsp sugar

400 mls unsweetened coconut milk (I use the Aroy-D brand but any brand will do)

3 tbsp Olive oil

cooking

1. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp green curry paste and garlic to a wok on high heat, stirring until the garlic starts to "bubble".

2. Add chicken and stir fry until just cooked...then remove in a side dish (it will cook longer later)

3. Add the rest of the oil and curry paste then add the celery and stir fry for about 30 seconds

4. reduce heat to medium and add the eggplant, bell pepper and bok choy...mix for 30 seconds

5. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar and lime quarters

6. Mix well then add the previously cooked chicken and stir into the mixture

7. cover the wok and cook for about 7-10 minutes (the smell is wonderful as it cooks), stiring occassionally

8. with a large fork recover each lime quarter and squeeze the hot lime juice into the stir-fry (I put a spoon over the lime quarter and press the juice through the tines of the fork) discard the lime peels

9. Stir then ladel over steamed rice and serve

I think you will love this dish and encourage you to think more about Thai dishes.

Jim

Diosa Apprentice

Thank you so much for the recipe and the site! I love Thai food, and it gave me some wonderful ideas. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at some of those sauces and curries.

Lynxear Rookie
Thank you so much for the recipe and the site! I love Thai food, and it gave me some wonderful ideas. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at some of those sauces and curries.

I think you will have fun. The curries are sooo easy to make and very spicey so if you like "taste" in your asian food this is not bland.

I love Thai food...the only thing that bugs me in Canada is the price of dishes in Thai restaurants. A $15 meal here would cost me only about $3 there...Very cheap to eat there....so dear here.

here is another GREAT dish....Som Tam (green papaya salad)

You need a REALY large mortar to make this properly. In food courts in Thai malls there is usually one guy who does nothing but make this salad. His mortar is about 2 feet high and he has all the ingredients around him in separate bowls. He will never clean out the mortar between orders....no need since he makes only one dish. He just shovels the ingredients into the mortar and then pounds the b-jesus out of them and scoops them onto your plate.....It is a delicious...limey salad.

Here is another to-die-for-dish: Phad Thai

This is a rice noodle stir fry that is relatively easy to do. This recipe seems to be pretty close to what I remember it. I remember my first taste of this dish.....mmmmmmmm....it was soooo good I ate it 10-12 times in a row before I got tired of it. Very filling.... the Tamarind juice might be a problem for you but I don't think it is glutenous...you can leave it out if necessary.

enjoy

Diosa Apprentice

This is a rice noodle stir fry that is relatively easy to do. This recipe seems to be pretty close to what I remember it. I remember my first taste of this dish.....mmmmmmmm....it was soooo good I ate it 10-12 times in a row before I got tired of it. Very filling.... the Tamarind juice might be a problem for you but I don't think it is glutenous...you can leave it out if necessary.

enjoy

Actually the rice noodles would be the problem. I'm allergic to rice. But on the plus side, I found some tapioca noodles that can be used in place. Pad Thai was totally back in the cards when i found those. I will probably be giving that recipe a try before too much longer.

Thanks again. :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Phad Thai

What is the product name of the tamarind juice that you use? I know that Thai Kitchen has one, but I would have to order it online.
Lynxear Rookie
What is the product name of the tamarind juice that you use? I know that Thai Kitchen has one, but I would have to order it online.

Actually the few times I use Tamarind juice I make it from compressed blocks of the fruit. You can find this in any asian grocery store and also in most western supermarkets (asian section) section as well (Superstore in Canada has a prettry authentic section for asian ingredients.)

here is the method for producing the juice....you use so little juice this is easier and safer for you

In finding this proceedure I found another Phad Thai recipe. There is no definative recipe for Thai food...even though it has a name, every Thai cook makes it differently, probably "like mother used to make" :)

This recipe sounds very close to what I ate while living there.

Archived