This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Personally Do To Gain Weight

Claire

Claire Collaborator

Help. I have posted here before one good solution for weight gain but I need more than one so I don't wat the same thing all the time. Claire

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skinnyminny Enthusiast

Are you trying to gain, I am too! I am currently eating lots of Peanut Butter! Lots of Chocolate! Boost Plus have a good amont of calories, gluten-free rolls, I like gillians, I eat like every few hours its helping some

rache Apprentice

FINALLY! other people who are trying to gain weight! im down to 88lbs... im in a wedding in june. i look like skeleton! my chest has gotten smaller, my clothes are all too big, i cant find anything that fits!! and im really getting sick of people saying "i wish i had celiac disease" b/c im so skinny. i need some advice on gaining weight also. i have been trying to eat junk food (gluten free of course) but thats getting me nowhere. im glad to know there are other people out there that are having the same problem as me. i was begining to feel as if i am the only person NOT trying to lose weight. its frustrating! i wish i had some advice to offer, but i dont- i need it also!!

flagbabyds Collaborator

I am too trying to gain, down to like 90 pounds and 15 year old girl... everyone thinks i am anorexic, except for the fact that i eat every waking hour of the day. right now eating straight out of the tub of sorbet. :) lots of ice cream!

Guest Robbin

I don't have the problem, but both of my sons do and we are trying to get their weight up too. One is 6'4 and weights about 155, and the other is 13 and 5'6 and weighs about 100. I never realized, having been battling weight gain for years, just how hard it can be for some people. My youngest is allergic to peanut butter and the oldest doesn't like it, neither one of them can have dairy, so we have been doing lots of potatoes and beef. I am at a loss too. I just try to make them remember their vitamins and pray they gain some soon. They both get the anorexic label too.

VydorScope Proficient

At one point in my life I was knocking on the door of 200 pounds, and I lost it, big time but when I dipped below 159 pounds I was like ACK! To low. So I simple reversed what I was doing to lose wieght and now am 170. Much better weight fro my large fram, and 5'11" hieght.

I lost the wight by cutting carbs, I gained it back by increasing carbs. Worked great for me, and my brother in law. Your millage may vary of course....

HTH! Good luck! :)

zip2play Apprentice

You are all in my thoughts. I can't imagine the difficulty. Mine has always been the opposite!

Eat just before going to bed. That is a HUGE no no if a person is trying to lose weight! GOOD LUCK

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

I don't think my problem is as bad as some people think. My mom and dad are horrified when they see me everytime and my grandmother had a fit at Christmas. I where a 0 petite and they fall off of me. I really don't know why. I am 5'2 inches and 100lbs. I am 31 years old. I think the problem for me though is that I always had a fuller rounder face when younger and then had three kids and my face kept getting skinnier and sunken in. I just look boney and have NO chest! I hate that part. Anyway, no matter what I do, I don't gain weight. I can eat whatever I want. Normally I would drink diet pepsi, but I have been eating ice cream, drinking mountain dew. I drink 2% milk. Just ate a donut. I think my problem lies in the fact that I am very active and I am a vegetarian. So I don't eat meat. I do eat a bit of cheese and I eat two eggs about 50% of the mornings. I am very active with three small boys and I exercise every day. I really think I would look better if I just gained like 5 or 6 pounds. I just get tired of my family harassing me! I also can't stand how my face looks when I am this skinny.

Rachel, It sounds like you have lost even more weight. WHat is your diet like?? I know for me, I sort of think I have been gluttened alot lately and that might be why or it is because of what I am eating.

WIsh I had some advice. I don't usually eat right before bed, because I don't sleep as well if I do.

Monica

par18 Apprentice
I don't think my problem is as bad as some people think. My mom and dad are horrified when they see me everytime and my grandmother had a fit at Christmas. I where a 0 petite and they fall off of me. I really don't know why. I am 5'2 inches and 100lbs. I am 31 years old. I think the problem for me though is that I always had a fuller rounder face when younger and then had three kids and my face kept getting skinnier and sunken in. I just look boney and have NO chest! I hate that part. Anyway, no matter what I do, I don't gain weight. I can eat whatever I want. Normally I would drink diet pepsi, but I have been eating ice cream, drinking mountain dew. I drink 2% milk. Just ate a donut. I think my problem lies in the fact that I am very active and I am a vegetarian. So I don't eat meat. I do eat a bit of cheese and I eat two eggs about 50% of the mornings. I am very active with three small boys and I exercise every day. I really think I would look better if I just gained like 5 or 6 pounds. I just get tired of my family harassing me! I also can't stand how my face looks when I am this skinny.

Rachel, It sounds like you have lost even more weight. WHat is your diet like?? I know for me, I sort of think I have been gluttened alot lately and that might be why or it is because of what I am eating.

WIsh I had some advice. I don't usually eat right before bed, because I don't sleep as well if I do.

Monica

Monica

How long have you been on gluten-free diet?

Tom

rache Apprentice

Monica

ive always been a small person. im 5'1". down to 88 lbs. my 00 petite pants are too big, all my clothes are too big, even my bras! my diet is completely gluten free, but i do eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, and meats. i try to throw in some fattening food for snacks (gluten free of course). im always picking up candy at the store. my meals are healthy and probably not very fattening, but my snacks are usually some type of junk food. i guess im thinking maybe these fattening snacks will help me gain a little weight. but i also chase after my 14 month old son all day. so maybe im burning some of it off? i would like to be able to fit into a 0 or a 2 like i used to before i was pregnant. its just weird cause i eat and eat, but im not sure where the food goes. i dont have frequent BMs, at all... but im not putting on any weight. i guess maybe im burning off the calories as fast as im taking them in. im not sure what the problem is. maybe i need to start mixing in some more fat with my meals instead.??

mart Contributor

If you can eat dairy, try Haagen Daaz (sp?) ice-cream. All ice-creams are definitely not created equal. Haagen Daaz has about twice the calories as other ice-creams and 2 - 3 times the fat. Try the vanilla bars covered in chocolate - like 30 grams of fat!).

I feed my son Boost Plus (also loaded with tons of vitamins and minerals) which has helped him gain 9 pounds in about 8 months. Also, I notice his cheeks are now rosy. My son doesn't like sweets, so we depend on the Boost Plus. Also Hershey's chocolate bar is extremely high in calories and fat. If you can handle the sweetness, try blending condensed milk into milk or coffee.

When I was young and skinny, my mom would make me a shake that went something like this: 1 or 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream, some whole milk, 1/2 banana and 2 Tablespoons for condensed milk. For variety, sometimes she's put in a tablespoon of peanutbutter. Sound disgusting? It was actually delicious. Needless to say, I am no longer skinny.

Good luck, the weight will come soon enough!

VydorScope Proficient

Monica

5'2" at 100 ponds is not bad.. assuming you have a petite frame. Its on the low end, but not bad.

Felidae Enthusiast

I find it very difficult to gain weight too. If I could eat dairy, I'm sure I would have no problems. I eat nuts, nut butters, beans, and legumes to try to gain.

key Contributor

Tom,

I have been gluten free for a year, but I tried eating oats for awhile and it made me sick, so I regressed. Also I have been gluttened several times the past few months. I am finally getting things completely under control. AT first going gluten free I felt great for four months. I am feeling better now, but I think I became even more sensitve to small amounts as time went on.

Vydorscope,

I don't think I am too skinny either, minus my face and my chest! I just used to way about 10 more pounds and so my family isn't used to me being so skinny. I used to actually diet, but now I just stay skinny no matter what. I actually really don't want to gain weight, because there is really only two places I need it and it won't go there I know! I am not off the charts as far as weight goes at all, but I am looking better just the past 3 weeks since I haven't been gluttened in awhile. Feeling SO much better finally too. HOping the trend continues.

I eat dairy, but don't gain weight, but I don't eat meat and I wouldn't say I eat alot of dairy. Just mainly a bit of cheese on a piece of pizza or Mexican dish. I don't always eat icecream, but I always eat chocolate, everyday!

I don't mind being thin, as long as I look and feel healthy!

CMCM Rising Star

To gain weight? Here's how I gain: It's easy....eat carbs....baked goods (go to the Kinnikinnick web site and order bagels, English muffins, donuts, brownies, the various breads, crackers, cookies. Put butter on them, also jelly or peanut butter. Develop a sweet tooth and be a junkaholic. If you can eat dairy....go for the ice cream. Make milkshakes. Eat lots of cheese. Chips with dips.

And as you are increasing your carb intake, eat high-fat things. Kielbasa sausage, bacon, full fat yogurts, and so on.

Carbs will do it. Lots of carbs. Not the veggie carbs...but the fattening stuff with alternate grains.

To lose weight, lose the carbs and you'll reverse the process!

Remember that when you get older your metabolism may change and then you'll be asking how to lose weight! :lol::lol:

Lauren M Explorer

I have 2 suggestions to contribute, as I have struggled with this as well and recently was able to gain weight.

(1) You want to gain in a HEALTHY way. Sure, if you eat a ice cream, potato chips, and a bunch of junk all day, you'll gain weight, but there are far healthier ways to do it. Peanut butter is my friend. It has healthy fat, and, well, it's just so tasty that I can eat it every day!

(2) Volume of food (and beverage) is a big thing that I think some people overlook. I love veggies and fruit, but they fill me up too easily. I still eat them, but what's really helped me to put on weight is drinking supplements such as Boost or Ensure Plus in addition to my normal diet. As they are liquid, they don't take up so much "space" in your stomach, so you can have one with breakfast, and it doesn't make you feel overly full. In fact, I've even used supplements in place of milk in my cereal! (I have weird taste though). They also make a good snack.

Good luck, let me know if you need any other suggestions!

- Lauren

schuyler Apprentice
I have 2 suggestions to contribute, as I have struggled with this as well and recently was able to gain weight.

(1) You want to gain in a HEALTHY way. Sure, if you eat a ice cream, potato chips, and a bunch of junk all day, you'll gain weight, but there are far healthier ways to do it. Peanut butter is my friend. It has healthy fat, and, well, it's just so tasty that I can eat it every day!

(2) Volume of food (and beverage) is a big thing that I think some people overlook. I love veggies and fruit, but they fill me up too easily. I still eat them, but what's really helped me to put on weight is drinking supplements such as Boost or Ensure Plus in addition to my normal diet. As they are liquid, they don't take up so much "space" in your stomach, so you can have one with breakfast, and it doesn't make you feel overly full. In fact, I've even used supplements in place of milk in my cereal! (I have weird taste though). They also make a good snack.

Good luck, let me know if you need any other suggestions!

- Lauren

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to gain weight for a few months (I'm just under 5'9" and 110 lbs). I'll have to buy some Boost or Ensure and see how that works.

TCA Contributor

My wieght problem is the opposite of all of you, but i have to work like crazy to get my kids to gain. Avocado is wonderful. One avocado had 322 calories and 29 g fat. Eat it in guacolmole or just in a salad or whatever. It's helping my daughter. We give it to her through her feeding tube after pureeing it. We also tried something called MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Oil for her. It is 7 cal/g where most oils are 4 cal/g. She didn't handle it well, but she's only an infant. You have to have a Rx for it, but it's not hard to get with that. You can cook with it, use it in salad dressings, or just mix it with whatever you're eating. I think my other ideas have been mentioned.

Lauren M Explorer
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to gain weight for a few months (I'm just under 5'9" and 110 lbs). I'll have to buy some Boost or Ensure and see how that works.

Good luck! Seeing a nutrionist has really helped me (something you might want to think about), but what I wrote in my post is basically what I got out nutrionist appts as far as gaining weight. Also, it can be difficult to find a nutrionist that knows Celiac.

- Lauren

awesomeame Explorer

i was underweight and in my experience it's just a matter of calories. i burn 2300 calories per day just to live, so i eat around 2500 per day to maintain my weight. if i want to gain, need to eat more calories!

as was mentioned, i wouldn't really recommend veggies/fruits, as they fill you up, yet are low in calories. can't get more calories in you if you're too stuffed to eat!

my gluten and dairy free PIES were a fantastic weight gaining tool for me. pies are dense so you can eat a lot, loaded with calories, taste great, and are far cheaper/healthier then buying junk food!

veggies: if you want potatos, even beans, anything really, bake or fry them in olive oil at home to get some fat and control your salt intake. add some oregano for that restaurant taste. mcdonald's fries are loaded with calories too if you trust to eat there...570cals i think per large french fry. add chocolate syrup to your milk or soy, and don't forget to butter every breadslice-load it up-my favorite topping on bread is butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, jam, and honey. lots of calories there! escargot can be made high calorie too if you sop up all the butter from the plate, mmm,mmm!!

as for peanut butter, someone mentioned they're allergic? PEABUTTER is a great alternative. it's banned in the schools here because visually one can't tell the difference between it and the real stuff. it tastes pretty damn good too, i eat it all the time.

alcohol is also full of calories! 16 oz of white wine will get you about 320 calories, 16oz of rum will net you about 1027 calories, and feeling pretty good too. coolers are normally chock full of calories as well, in the 350-400 per bottle range.

--matt

schuyler Apprentice
Good luck! Seeing a nutrionist has really helped me (something you might want to think about), but what I wrote in my post is basically what I got out nutrionist appts as far as gaining weight. Also, it can be difficult to find a nutrionist that knows Celiac.

- Lauren

I actually just found out that a client where I work is a nutrionist and she knows alot about Celiac. I was so happy when she told me. I am going to start seeing her this week.

-Danielle

Lauren M Explorer
I actually just found out that a client where I work is a nutrionist and she knows alot about Celiac. I was so happy when she told me. I am going to start seeing her this week.

-Danielle

Danielle - that's awesome! Consider yourself very lucky. I now have a nutrionist that knows celiac disease and I'm quite happy :)

Keep us updated on how it goes for you.

- Lauren

• 2 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I've GAINED 7 LBS... :D

I'll share with you what I'm doing... Open Original Shared Link

I have been seeing my Chiropractor and he knows a little more about this then I do. He is bone crunching me 3-times-a-week. What he has me doing is having a big meal for breakfast. For me I can't do the peanut butter, ice cream or any of the ultra yummy things like that. I started off about 6 years ago when I came down with celiac disease and the seizures that came with it stared a few years before. I stopped the gluten and dairy cold-turkey no problem. Thought I was doing great and then S-T-R-E-S-S hit hard 4 hurricanes in 2 years and other drama. I thought I was doing good not cheating. I had been eating lots of RICE, CORN, NIGHT SHADE VEGGIES, LEGUMES, NUTS, & SOY lots of soy. It's in everything. Then I developed a major thyroid problem. And my life suddenly changed again... I thought celiac disease and these secondary food allergies, seem to pop up out of no-where-land. And got sicker and now 6 years later I can NOT eats CORN, NIGHT SHADE VEGGIES, LEGUMES, NUTS & SOY.

What my Chiropractor is doing is bone crunching and "resetting" my body as he puts it. What he has me doing is -- a big dinner type meal for breakfast and a carb-like veggie 3 times a week. For a snack after breakfast before lunch I make fresh fruit smoothes (3 bannana's, blackberries, raspberries). I can't miss lunch, and another snack of fruit or sqeezed fresh veggie juice. And then a healthy protein and veggie dinner without CARBS, rice, potatoes, you know starchy veggies like spaghetti squash. NOT at dinner time only in the early part of the day. And I had been exercising at night; he wants me to do it day time.

I have a hard time with rice & potatoes makes me feel kind-a- bla. I am only doing it 2 to 3 times a week in the MORNINGS ONLY. I don't get the night sweats if I do this.

I don't know if any of you have a Chiropractor you can "talk to" and understands celiac disease and digestive problems you might be able to realign your body to aid in the area of digestion and weight gain?

I can't consume Boost or Ensure Plus they are filled with: D Water, corn syrup, maltodextrin (corn), sodium and calcium caseinates, sugar (sucrose), canola oil, corn oil, high-oleic safflower oil, soy protein isolate, magnesium chloride, potassium citrate, calcium phosphate tribasic, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavor, potassium chloride, sodium citrate, magnesium phosphate dibasic, choline chloride, ascorbic acid, carrageenan, ferrous sulfate, alpha-tocopheryl acetate, zinc sulfate, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, chromium chloride, biotin, sodium molybdate, sodium selenate, potassium iodide, phylloquinone, vitamin D3 and cyanocobalamin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 weeks later...
sweetp Rookie
I've GAINED 7 LBS... :D

I'll share with you what I'm doing... Open Original Shared Link

I have been seeing my Chiropractor and he knows a little more about this then I do. He is bone crunching me 3-times-a-week. What he has me doing is having a big meal for breakfast. For me I can't do the peanut butter, ice cream or any of the ultra yummy things like that. I started off about 6 years ago when I came down with celiac disease and the seizures that came with it stared a few years before. I stopped the gluten and dairy cold-turkey no problem. Thought I was doing great and then S-T-R-E-S-S hit hard 4 hurricanes in 2 years and other drama. I thought I was doing good not cheating. I had been eating lots of RICE, CORN, NIGHT SHADE VEGGIES, LEGUMES, NUTS, & SOY lots of soy. It's in everything. Then I developed a major thyroid problem. And my life suddenly changed again... I thought celiac disease and these secondary food allergies, seem to pop up out of no-where-land. And got sicker and now 6 years later I can NOT eats CORN, NIGHT SHADE VEGGIES, LEGUMES, NUTS & SOY.

What my Chiropractor is doing is bone crunching and "resetting" my body as he puts it. What he has me doing is -- a big dinner type meal for breakfast and a carb-like veggie 3 times a week. For a snack after breakfast before lunch I make fresh fruit smoothes (3 bannana's, blackberries, raspberries). I can't miss lunch, and another snack of fruit or sqeezed fresh veggie juice. And then a healthy protein and veggie dinner without CARBS, rice, potatoes, you know starchy veggies like spaghetti squash. NOT at dinner time only in the early part of the day. And I had been exercising at night; he wants me to do it day time.

I have a hard time with rice & potatoes makes me feel kind-a- bla. I am only doing it 2 to 3 times a week in the MORNINGS ONLY. I don't get the night sweats if I do this.

I don't know if any of you have a Chiropractor you can "talk to" and understands celiac disease and digestive problems you might be able to realign your body to aid in the area of digestion and weight gain?

I can't consume Boost or Ensure Plus they are filled with: D Water, corn syrup, maltodextrin (corn), sodium and calcium caseinates, sugar (sucrose), canola oil, corn oil, high-oleic safflower oil, soy protein isolate, magnesium chloride, potassium citrate, calcium phosphate tribasic, soy lecithin, natural and artificial flavor, potassium chloride, sodium citrate, magnesium phosphate dibasic, choline chloride, ascorbic acid, carrageenan, ferrous sulfate, alpha-tocopheryl acetate, zinc sulfate, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, chromium chloride, biotin, sodium molybdate, sodium selenate, potassium iodide, phylloquinone, vitamin D3 and cyanocobalamin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was down to 85 pounds, and now i'm a healthy 103 :) i had to meet with a nutritionist because i was having so much trouble gaining weight. i ate really healthy and i love running so i didn't want to give those up. this is one thing my dr. had me do; make a protein shake every morning!

i put in a handful of strawberries, blueberries, a bananna, 2 tbs. of protein powder, 2 tbs flax seed oil, 1 tbs of ground flaxseed. i also took fish oil supplements as well as mCT (medium chain triglycride) oils. she had me snack on plenty of nuts, nut butters, avacado, and decrease the amount of miles i ran in the morning. to gain about twenty pounds the healthy way it took me about a year and a half. also, you can snack on gluten free protein-ish bars like lara and nectar before you go to bed, pop corn popped in olive oil, and homemade hummus with a generous amount of olive oil and tahinni

CarlaB Enthusiast

At one point in my life when I tried to lose weight, I would choose the lower calorie food, like salad with little dressing, fruit, veggies, etc. I would choose sorbet over ice cream, apples over bananas or avocadoes. I just reversed that philosophy to gain weight. And when I say I eat ice cream, I'll eat a whole pint of Haagen Dazs in one sitting!! I also carry food in my car so I constantly munch even when not at home. I eat very healthy, but found I just could not gain the weight if I didn't add potato chips and ice cream type foods.

Now I'm back up to where I look healthy, so the trick will be to maintain without gaining any more!! I'm finding that a difficult balance because it takes so much food to maintain!

Archived