17 replies to this topic

#16 Ruby Rose

Ruby Rose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:23 PM

As one who was raised in the Catholic Church, including 8 years of Catholic school, I fully understand what receiving Holy Communion means to Catholics. I was taught that a miracle takes place when the Communion Host/Eucharistic bread is consecrated by the priest during Mass, which causes the Host to actually become the Body of Christ.

When I first learned that I could no longer eat wheat, I wondered if the consecrated Host would be safe, according to what I had learned and believed as a child, while preparing for my first Communion. If the miracle really takes place, why is it still dangerous for those living with celiac, to receive the wheat Host? Yes, this is a rhetorical question, but I think some may understand where I am coming from.

Also, I would like to share my perspective, as to why it may seem that many Catholics are very sensitive and/or defensive, when it comes to their faith. Traditionally, at the ages of around 11 - 12, Catholics receive the Sacrament of Confirmation, when the young Catholic promises to become a Soldier of Christ, vowing to defend the faith, whenever it is challenged.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Littlewolf

Littlewolf

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:40 AM

I am Catholic and not a Celiac. . however, at my church we do not dip the wafer into the wine (only the Eucharistic Ministers actually drink the wine). Perhaps you could just take a gluten-free wafer and not the wine if you think it might cause you pain and harm. You could always talk to your priest about it, I'm sure he would better be able to take into consideration your situation and the chuch. Maybe he can accomidate you (and maybe others).

If all else fails, you could try to be the first one up there everytime so no other wafer has touched the wine. ;)
[FONT=Courier] Like the shirt says: Someone I Care About ha Celiac Disease

#18 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 12:14 PM

I think that if we go back to the problem that the little girl in Brielle had, it was because the Archdiosese wouldn't allow the gluten-free host in the first place. As to the wine, the communicant would never know if they had sipped the wine before the hosts were place into the chalice. Sometimes the host is kept in the chalice and wine before Mass begins. Fragments of the communion host could be present in the wine after all the hosts are removed. This isn't a safe alternative either.

As to the miracle of the mass, it is an article of faith that the belief is that while the miracle happens, the bread and wine do not change in their appearance or basic ingredients.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: