This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Jeez, dunno if I wanna. . . . ....:unsure:... . ..

A condition where one "bleeds" tears -- instead of tears, blood comes from the eyes. .. . . . . .very unpsilly. . . . . . ......never heard of this before....... . . .

Ummmmm.....isn't that what vampires do? I would think that would be very en vogue right now ;)

No school today so I've got my kids and a friend's at the Kid's Club right now-along with every other child in the city... It's like a giant habitrail for kids. They'll be lost in there for a while. Wish I brought a book!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loey Rising Star

Saw BE briefly last night (we're both tired). Since his contract is ending they've got him doing some rush rush job and he's working long hours. He works at a major software company in Redmond, and this morning he put on new jeans and told me he had to dress a little nicer 'cause he never knew when a different department might call him in for an interview. :blink::unsure:

Will send positive energy his way!

I FINALLY have my ulcer biopsy tomorrow. I'm a little nervous but I'm sure that they won't find anything serious (more positive thinking). It's just whenever they do a procedure the authorization form makes it sounds scary.

Klark is taking the day off to take me and then wait on me. biggrin.gif

We also had a death in the family (not unexpected, a cousin in law who has suffered from MS for decades). It still hurts regardless of how long they were sick. it will be a chance to se Rob's cousins and Aunt in Connecticut. I'm already trying to figure out what gluten-free food I'll bring since I doubt I'll be able to eat anything they have there (but

yum - it's spanish and will smell so good!!!).

Loey unsure.gif (about tomorrow)

elye Community Regular

I'm sorry about your cousin, Low-eee :( ... . . . . .

Gads, even when it's imminent, the death of someone close always feels so sudden. .... . ...and sad.. ...it's always sudden!

Good luck wif the scope! Think happy thoughts -- think about being in a big, silent, peaceful float tank with Rah-shyellle. Well.. . . .not with Rahshyellle, actually.. . . ... . you'd be crowded out by her six-footedness.... <_<:rolleyes:

Jestgar Rising Star
kareng Grand Master

Loey - Sorry about the cousin.

You'll do great tomorrow. It will be nice to get it done and movd on.

Jess- I saw that on FB and wonders where it came from :P

Loey Rising Star

Gads, even when it's imminent, the death of someone close always feels so sudden. .... . ...and sad.. ...it's always sudden!

Good luck wif the scope! Think happy thoughts -- think about being in a big, silent, peaceful float tank with Rah-shyellle. Well.. . . .not with Rahshyellle, actually.. . . ... . you'd be crowded out by her six-footedness.... <_<:rolleyes:

Thanks Emily. I will think of Rahshyelle and her peaceful float tank - I'm 4'11" so I probably could fit in there if it was wide enough (tee-hee). I'll probably pfeel like that with the anesthesia or just not pfeel. Right now they just plan on the biopsies but the authorization forms included a lot of other procedures just in case. Might as well get it all done once, right?

I'm guessing I'll be offline tomorrow. My hubby is taking the day off (and now Monday for the funeral) and said he'd take care of me (that translates into us watching what he wants to - though we usually agree).

Hugs & wub.gif

Loey

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh Loughey, I'm so sorry for your loss :( Em's right, even if it's not completely unexpected it's still a shock when it happens. My best to your family.

Good luck with your procedure!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Most excellent! :D

Loey Rising Star

Oh Loughey, I'm so sorry for your loss :( Em's right, even if it's not completely unexpected it's still a shock when it happens. My best to your family.

Good luck with your procedure!

Thanks everyone!!!! You're all the best. I'm blessed that Karraanng brought me to this thread.

It's a cousin on Klark's side of the family but they have always been favorites of mine. One positive thing is that we get to see everyone. They only live an hour and a half away but with everyone's different work schedules it's hard to get together. The cousin that died was Klark's cousin-in-law. His wife is his cousin and she virtually spent every waking hour either taking care of him or at her job (an RN). She still sounded shell shocked when I called her last night. She was on vacation this week or he might have been home alone.

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Loey

elye Community Regular

Oh Ma GAAAAWD. . . ..!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jestgar Rising Star

Hugs Loey. We're all with you there, in spirit, if you need us. :)

Loey Rising Star

Hugs Loey. We're all with you there, in spirit, if you need us. :)

Thanks Jess!!! I do pfeel the love.

Read up on my procedure and if they have to do anything in addition to the biopsy they do it right through the scope. Medicine has sure come a long way since leeches (or has it). I remember my grandmother doing something called "cupping" when she had an asthma attack. She would put a cotton ball with alcohol on it into a shot glass and light it on fire. After it cooled down a bit she would put it on her chest and it would act like a suction cup. Then she would repeat it over the remainder of her chest. I probably would have just drank the shots (though I think she used rubbing alcohol). She was the same grandmother who also made us wear scarves when we went to the refrigerator after showering biggrin.gif.

We're going to stay over at one of Klark's cousins' houses Sunday night so that will give us extra time to visit and make our trip easier the morning of the funeral. I imagine they'll be a lot of wine and reminiscing. I already have my food ready to travel.

Hope to be back online on Saturday!

Hugs,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down..........can NEVER get THAT out of my head.

Are we starting to come up with ads that we get stuck in our head now? Count me in!!!

Just got back from the biopsy and thought I'd fill you all in before I go rest for the day (or let Klark spoil me).

I actually think I might like my GI now. Feeling pain where they took the biopsies. Will spend the day on the catch either watching movies or Heroes with Rob. What he found today was:

Esophageal Hiatal Hernia

Scalloped Folds and absence of villi in the duodenal

Ulcer in the pre-pyloric region

I'll be taking Omeprazole once a day for a month and then have to have the procedure repeated. The entire process was less than an hour. My longest wait was for the lab technician to come an draw blood to check for H-pylori.

They treated me very well. At one point I had 4 different nurses and the anesthesiologist all doing stuff. Maybe a small hospital isn't that bad after all.

Should be back online tomorrow. Until then I will miss my psillies!!!

Loey wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

jerseyangel Proficient

Glad yer back home safe and sound, Lough. Sounds like they are on top of everything and taking good care of you :)

Get some rest, young lady! :D

kareng Grand Master

Are we starting to come up with ads that we get stuck in our head now? Count me in!!!

Just got back from the biopsy and thought I'd fill you all in before I go rest for the day (or let Klark spoil me).

I actually think I might like my GI now. Feeling pain where they took the biopsies. Will spend the day on the catch either watching movies or Heroes with Rob. What he found today was:

Esophageal Hiatal Hernia

Scalloped Folds and absence of villi in the duodenal

Ulcer in the pre-pyloric region

I'll be taking Omeprazole once a day for a month and then have to have the procedure repeated. The entire process was less than an hour. My longest wait was for the lab technician to come an draw blood to check for H-pylori.

They treated me very well. At one point I had 4 different nurses and the anesthesiologist all doing stuff. Maybe a small hospital isn't that bad after all.

Should be back online tomorrow. Until then I will miss my psillies!!!

Loey wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

TOLD YA! Told you you would do fine. Rest to get the anesthesia out of your system. It showed just what you thought it would - Celiac & ulcers

kareng Grand Master

I could probably put this out on another thread and get lots of ideas but ...Phfft! Why do that?

Here's the story:

Hub wants to have a little Xmas party for his employees/people he works with and spouses if they are so inclined. About 30 people. Trying to make this as easy as possible since most of it falls on me. We have decided to do a wine, cheese, chocolate type thing. Will have beer and soft drinks, too. gluten-free crackers, fruit...

I'm going to go heavy on cheese like cheddar from Costco but will get a few odder things. gluten-free crackers so I don't have to worry.

J & M make great fudge and toffee. J makes great PB truffles. I can make them, too, if they don't have time. Also, I have made some coffee/choc and amaretto truffles. I think I can make these ahead & freeze.

Here's the questions for my wise and experienced partiers:

Sound OK? Enough food?

Have to roll truffles in things. Can't use graham crackers unless I use a gluten-free kind. Use crushed peanuts and those little chocolate jummy sprinkle things. If I could get red & green ones, are they gluten-free? Will have to look.

Something else I could serve?

What do I do if someone brings glutinous cookies? I don't want to worry about the crumbs in my left overs. Hub maybe can tell them not to, they all know I have Celiac.

Thanks!

Yes, I'm quite a beast :P

Sorry about your cousin Lo-Lo

Have to roll truffles in things. Can't use graham crackers unless I use a gluten-free kind. Use crushed peanuts and those little chocolate jummy sprinkle things. If I could get red & green ones, are they gluten-free? Will have to look.

Something else I could serve?

What do I do if someone brings glutinous cookies? I don't want to worry about the crumbs in my left overs. Hub maybe can tell them not to, they all know I have Celiac.

Thanks!

You can get those Wilton candy melts and dip the truffles in those. They have vanilla, chocolate, dark chocolate and PB. I roll mine into balls and stick in the freezer until ready to dip. Makes it easier and less messy. If other people bring gluten stuff to our house and there's leftovers, I usually toss the leftover stuff, or just keep it away from the kids. If people ask if they can bring anything, I usually say no thanks, but if they insist, then I ask for gluten-free things like a fruit or veggie tray, tortilla chips with salsa or guac. Or wine, cuz you can't have too much of that :P

Wish I was there to help you. I LOVE doing parties!!!

kareng Grand Master

Yes, I'm quite a beast :P

Sorry about your cousin Lo-Lo

You can get those Wilton candy melts and dip the truffles in those. They have vanilla, chocolate, dark chocolate and PB. I roll mine into balls and stick in the freezer until ready to dip. Makes it easier and less messy. If other people bring gluten stuff to our house and there's leftovers, I usually toss the leftover stuff, or just keep it away from the kids. If people ask if they can bring anything, I usually say no thanks, but if they insist, then I ask for gluten-free things like a fruit or veggie tray, tortilla chips with salsa or guac. Or wine, cuz you can't have too much of that :P

Wish I was there to help you. I LOVE doing parties!!!

I was trying to make it as easy as possible by not dipping. ;) Do you know if sprinkles are gluten-free? Its pouring rain so I'm to lazy to go to the store to check.

I don't want to have leftover cheese and crackers and chocolate I can't eat! That really bothers me!

(I'm acting like a spoiled brat, today)

I was trying to make it as easy as possible by not dipping. ;) Do you know if sprinkles are gluten-free? Its pouring rain so I'm to lazy to go to the store to check.

I don't want to have leftover cheese and crackers and chocolate I can't eat! That really bothers me!

(I'm acting like a spoiled brat, today)

That's OK, you're entitled :) What brand of sprinkles?

kareng Grand Master

That's OK, you're entitled :) What brand of sprinkles?

Is there a brand I should look for? Does this sound like enough food? I usually practically serve dinner but that's hard right now.

Can you come live with me? :ph34r:

Jestgar Rising Star

I would like to have some veggies to cut all the heavy food. No dip necessary for me. :)

kareng Grand Master

I would like to have some veggies to cut all the heavy food. No dip necessary for me. :)

Good point. I was going to do some fruit. Any elegant way to do veggies besides carrot sticks & sliced red pepper?

Jestgar Rising Star

slice cucumber as thick rounds, scoop out the center and scoop in some salsa.

Do mini shishkabobs by sticking a toothpick through peppers, zucchini, maybe a pearl onion or a bit of leek.

use a pastry bag to fill kalamata olives with hummus.

jicama slices - thin so you can actually bite them mixed with carrots sliced on the diagonal so they look like chips as well. People could eat these with cheese if they wanted.

kareng Grand Master

slice cucumber as thick rounds, scoop out the center and scoop in some salsa.

Do mini shishkabobs by sticking a toothpick through peppers, zucchini, maybe a pearl onion or a bit of leek.

use a pastry bag to fill kalamata olives with hummus.

jicama slices - thin so you can actually bite them mixed with carrots sliced on the diagonal so they look like chips as well. People could eat these with cheese if they wanted.

I love the little shish kabobs. Everything is more fun on a stick. When you do the cukes, if you scoop out the seed middle, how do you keep the salsa from falling out? I'm missing something here.

I love the jicama & carrot chip idea. I've never used jicama. Will get one to experiment with.

Jestgar Rising Star

slice them really thick, like an inch and a half, and leave a quarter inch or so when you scoop them. It's like making little cups. These work well with a fresh salsa that's not so spicy. The mango salsa from Costco works well if you don't want to make your own.

Archived