This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

kareng Grand Master

We head to one of the many islands that are state parks. First stop, Clark Island.

Glad you are having better weather. Just watch where you park that boat. Don't want to get it towed! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jestgar Rising Star

Day7&8.

We head to Sucia,the biggest of the park islands. Morning and afternoon hikes, a night in echo bay, then we head to the other side of the island and anchor in Fossil Bay.

This is a popular island, and a Canadian Yacht club is spending the weekend here. They have a 4 day holiday over Easter and I guess Sucia is the place to be. We walk around Fossil Bay, and then head over to Stuart Island.

There's and old lighthouse on the point, so we head out for that. Despite being only about 5 miles round trip, it's steep hills both ways. Difficult to get back into the dinghy to get back to the boat

Stuart Island is only part park,the rest is privately owned. The island has 15-20 permanent residents and quite a few summer only people. The old schoolhouse (on the way to the lighthouse) has a little museum in one of the old outbuildings. Class of 2010 - 2 students.

The Pirate takes the boat around to the other harbor to tie up at the dock for the night. The weather continues to be amazing and we both shower and collapse into bed.

Jestgar Rising Star

Glad you are having better weather. Just watch where you park that boat. Don't want to get it towed! B)

Or blown away. It's too early for any park rangers to be out yet, so nobody pays for moorage. 'Course that means the water isn't yet turned on either. Fine for us, but I hope other people plan ahead.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

GFinDC Veteran

Gee Eff, you oughta have your mouth washed out with soap! Gorton's fish sticks, indeed <_< What were you thinking? :rolleyes:

I think I'll pass on that diet idea. I prefer a less hairy look, myself. :P

Marfle, umopha, empfha. Hmm, can't talk good with a soapy mouse!

And to quote JNBunie1,

I think is a perfectly appropriate comment on the proceedings.. :D

Jestgar Rising Star

Day7&8.

We head to Sucia,the biggest of the park islands. Morning and afternoon hikes, a night in echo bay, then we head to the other side of the island and anchor in Fossil Bay.

This is a popular island, and a Canadian Yacht club is spending the weekend here. They have a 4 day holiday over Easter and I guess Sucia is the place to be. We walk around Fossil Bay, and then head over to Stuart Island.

There's and old lighthouse on the point, so we head out for that. Despite being only about 5 miles round trip, it's steep hills both ways. Difficult to get back into the dinghy to get back to the boat

Stuart Island is only part park,the rest is privately owned. The island has 15-20 permanent residents and quite a few summer only people. The old schoolhouse (on the way to the lighthouse) has a little museum in one of the old outbuildings. Class of 2010 - 2 students.

The Pirate takes the boat around to the other harbor to tie up at the dock for the night. The weather continues to be amazing and we both shower and collapse into bed.

I have no idea what day it really is anymore.

A short walk, and we meet the Canadian couple from the other side of the island. Walk over to see the boat his dad built (7 years!) and chat for a while. One of the local residents, a scruffy old man pulls up in a pink kayak and tells us stories about the island, like the bone year the neighbors cows didn't come back, and the island had a "wild" cow population for a few years. After 5 or 6 years, one day they wandered back into the field, the guy closed the gate, and there they've stayed, happy as prodigal cows.

A casual day. We lounge on the boat in the sun and collect firewood. An evening bonfire swapping stories and we say goodbye.

Another day.

We leave before low tide and motor into Roche Harbor. A very cute village (2 or 3 streets) with some fun stuff to see. A brief walk in the drizzle and back to the boat. Movies in the cabin while it rains.

Next Day.

Beautiful sunshine. We walk all the streets and take the trek through the old cemetery to the mausoleum. A wander through the old limestone quarries, then a slow drift with the tide down the west side of the island hoping for an early whale siting. No such luck. Towards evening we pull into a small harbor at Lopez island just as the rain starts. Dinner and a movie.

Jestgar Rising Star

Next day.

A morning walk. There's nothing here but houses, many of which look empty (summer homes). Lots of 'private - keep out' signs and it makes the whole island seem unfriendly. I imagine that they're overrun with tourists in the summer and are just trying to protect their stuff, but when we're the only ones there it doesn't sound nice.

We leave on the afternoon tide and sail to Port Townsend (back on the mainland). We watch the sailboats swirling around the harbor warming up for a race. Somehow it reminds me of antebellum ladies swirling across a dance floor showing off their dresses and their style.

It turns out that we're anchored right in the path of the first leg of the race - annoying, I'm sure - but it gives us a great view of the sailboats as they go by. The Pirate moves the boat after they've gone. A quick walk through town before the tide takes the dinghy and back home. I lost my footing getting back into the dinghy so a warm shower back at the boat is a good thing. The pirate drapes my wet clothes outside and I go to bed to warm up.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Another day.

Coffee in "The Boiler Room", a coffee shop run by volunteers to promote an alcohol free environment for young musicians. Plan for today: Farmer's Market and wander through the cute shops and old buildings in PT.

elye Community Regular

OMG, Jyesssss... . .. ..you are spending countless days with this one man, most often just the two of you, hour after hour -- wow, trial by fire... . . .you haven't killed him, yet, and he obviously hasn't bored you to tears. You'd better marry him.

:rolleyes:;)

kareng Grand Master

OMG, Jyesssss... . .. ..you are spending countless days with this one man, most often just the two of you, hour after hour -- wow, trial by fire... . . .you haven't killed him, yet, and he obviously hasn't bored you to tears. You'd better marry him.

:rolleyes:;)

I wasn't too sure about this guy's chances on the first few days of the journey! Jess was not sounding pleased! :)

I wasn't too sure about this guy's chances on the first few days of the journey! Jess was not sounding pleased! :)

Maybe he's getting better at 'warming her up'.....

kareng Grand Master

Maybe he's getting better at 'warming her up'.....

Hi Bunnie! Haven't seen your toes around lately!

I did notice she said something about hopping into bed to warm up. ;)

Hi Bunnie! Haven't seen your toes around lately!

I did notice she said something about hopping into bed to warm up. ;)

HAHAHA!!!

Totally forgot that picture of my feet was up there! Weren't we having a beautiful feet contest or something?

mushroom Proficient

HAHAHA!!!

Totally forgot that picture of my feet was up there! Weren't we having a beautiful feet contest or something?

Some of you were. My pheet were not entered....:rolleyes:

Some of you were. My pheet were not entered....:rolleyes:

Awww, I bet your foots are just bootiful!

mushroom Proficient

Awww, I bet your foots are just bootiful!

In the eye of the beholder??? Funny little stumpy toes, would have been good for a giggle :D

Jestgar Rising Star

I could maybe get some chicken feet pics to put up.

Another day.

Coffee in "The Boiler Room", a coffee shop run by volunteers to promote an alcohol free environment for young musicians. Plan for today: Farmer's Market and wander through the cute shops and old buildings in PT.

Spent all day wandering around PT. I was grouchy at the Pirate for much of it until he suggested I listen to the street musician while he rowed back to the boat and put away the groceries. When he returned I bought him an ice cream float and we walked up the eight flights of stairs to the farmers market. They were already taking it down so we wandered down the street to look at the cool houses, then forever in a monstrous antique shop.

We walked back to the dinghy and he saw his buddy]s (from Poulsbo) boat anchored out in the harbor. We rowed over and chatted for awhile then headed home. Sadly, one huge failing this man has is that he's a huge Will Ferrel fan. After a dinner of grilled steak and potatoes he puts on some ridiculous movie and I go to bed.

Some rough winds and a bit of soy (Mi-del cookies) keep me up most of the night.

mushroom Proficient

This neat shot by an astronaut 400 km above earh shows our little corner of the world: Open Original Shared Link

On the right lie the ruins of the city of Christchurch. Heading to your left you will see the harbour for the port "over the hill", and on the left side of the harbour, about mid-harbour, if you look really hard you will see an orange tile roof :lol: which is our house. As you can see, we are one big volcanic conglomerate :blink:

Jestgar Rising Star

Last day.

Weather report suggests unfavorable winds and increasing rain, so we leave on the tide.

A long motor home to the island. I am totally wiped out. We walk back to the house to discover that the cat sitter didn't feel the need to clean the litter boxes for the entire time he was here. yuck. I drive the Pirate back to the dock so he can move his boat to somewhere better for the night and I head to the store for cat litter and air freshener.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I'm baaaaaaack.. I think.. ;)

I will try to catch up reading over the next few days. We'll see how that goes. I missed you all SOOOOOOOO much!!!!!

:wub::wub::wub:

psawyer Proficient

Yay! Welcome back. We missed you, too.

kareng Grand Master

I will try to catch up reading over the next few days. We'll see how that goes. I missed you all SOOOOOOOO much!!!!!

:wub::wub::wub:

Hi Russell! Glad you're back!

Yay! Welcome back. We missed you, too.

Hi Russell! Glad you're back!

Thank you!! Me too!!!

elye Community Regular

YAAAAAY! Ra-shyellle is BACK! Loved yer latest pics on da Book, R.. . . . . . . :)

And Jyessss is back on land......what an adventure, girl! I think the second thing you need to do after grabbing cat litter and air freshener is calling your petsitter and giving 'im bloody hell. . . ....

Shrooomie! I forgot to get on your aerial link....will do this now, with Jack, as all he wants to do in his life is go to NZ..... B)

So how long has the pirate been in the picture? Sounds like a miserable blast! :lol: I would love to do something like that!

I shall save the heavy for the email updates. I think there may be some hell aboutst to happen. I shall come here for the comic relief.

On the brightest side... The vegetarian has found a hunter/fisherman to sink her teeth into... :o Crazy, I know! But they are having a really good time together :ph34r:

:lol::lol:

Archived