This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Accidental Gluten= Fatigue And Oversleep For Most Coeliacs?

UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

I slept a rocking 13 hours last night admittedly I was up 18hrs the day before but still this is not normal. I accidentally got gluten from lollies I wasn't aware of yesterday and Im positive it is what made sleep longer.

The day before I was gluten free and slept 6hrs and felt a lil groggy but then refreshed. I notice i naturally simply wake up earlier and feel more refreshed when I am totally gluten free is this a usual occurrence for coeliacs out there?

Oversleeping causes me massive problems, parents b%$@#ing at me (dont understand coeliacs) and I have uni and work and commitments and if I miss something fun like going out with friends because I was sleeping I feel very depressed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MNBeth Explorer

For me, getting "glutened" definitely causes extreme fatigue. I rarely have the option of actually sleeping any longer than normal, but I drag through my days feeling desperate for sleep until I recover.

maile Newbie

Fatigue yes, but I get a type of "buzzed fatigue" so I don't sleep well at all when glutened and end up dragging through the day :(

Treen Bean Apprentice

YES!!! It's like night of the living dead for me. All I want to do when I get glutened is curl up in bed in a pitch black room and sleep forever. I also feel lethargic for the next day or two.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Definitely, and even when I am up it takes me forever to accomplish anything. Hope you get better soon.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I can get up but it's like the Zombie for me. The brain fog with the fatigue along with mood swings can be like a horror movie for those around me. I generally start with a fair warning and also a request, "please look out for me today. If I'm doing stupid things, stop me. If I'm falling all over myself, tell me to slow down,...uh..thanks."

julirama723 Contributor

I'm a sleepy/fatigued gluten zombie, too. I've not been gluten-free for long, but man oh man, on the occasion that I accidentally ingest gluten, not only do I get the GI symptoms, I am EXHAUSTED. I can barely make it through work, I am incredibly lethargic, I have NO ENERGY to do anything remotely taxing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UnhappyCoeliac Enthusiast

I pretty much fall asleep and dont wake up.

before I was diagnosed I had had a big night on the beer went to bed at 4am and woke up at my friends at 6pm...

my friends literally thought i was dead and were nice enough to draw funny faces of me too lol

• 2 weeks later...
Kitt1027 Rookie

Yes, yes, yes it is very normal to get like that. Before I found out I had a gluten-intolerance (not officially diagnosed Celiac...) I just thought that I would get extremely lethargic and have brain fog only after heavy meals. But, then it was happening almost everyday and now I know it's because even though I was eating very light meals, I was making wraps with wheat tortillas!! Everyday!! Geez...makes so much sense now. I would be sitting on my computer at work and literally feel like my head was a million pounds, my eyes wouldn't stay open and I felt like if I put my head down on my desk I would just pass out immediately. I would just go get some caffeine, but it never fully helped and the fogginess lasted all day.

I got glutened twice in the past 2 weeks and both times I was ready to pass out 30 minutes after eating. My boyfriend knows about my gluten problem and now he can tell exactly when I've been glutened because I become lethargic, unmotivated, snippy and don't feel well. Sometimes it feels like I'm drunk or something. It's so weird. And now I know that when I'm completely off of gluten, I am free to be the real me! I'm so much more energetic and want to go out and do things and I'm always peppy.

So, that's a very long-winded way of saying you are not alone my dear!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
teemaree Apprentice

Gosh yes,,,,,

last night I got glutened.... I would normaly wake up at 7-30am when gluten-free, feel bright and sparky..

This morning was a whole other story... I awoke at 11am, with a headache, didn't want to move and get up, and could have gone back to bed. But I didn't, but for the rest of the day, I was wiped out..

feeling sick , couldn't eat, and ohh so lathargic and tired, and I just got home from work and I'm ready for bed. eyes are aching, and wanting to close.

Before finding out I was celiac and gluten-free, I had the opposite effect, I couldn't sleep , I would live on three hours sleep, I'd have headaches and feel yuck...but I just figured that was due to the lack of sleep, and being over active without sleep...

But since going gluten-free... my sleep is so much deeper and enjoyable, I awaken fresh and ready to take on the world, things don't stress me out like they use too...I awaken early!...

But accidental glutening, does knock me around badly,and I need to sleep, because I walk around around like a zombie,feeling sick and tired, and just want to curl up and sleep....

I honestly nearly fainted when I saw the time I had slept too, this morning. Thank goodness I had a late shift, because there is no way I could have functioned at work, the way I was feeling. And even with having the late shift it was very difficult to make it through.

• 2 months later...
Leper Messiah Apprentice

Yeah I totally need more sleep, I figure it's my gut trying to repair. I'm a full time worker who needs to study after work so can understand this is a major problem for some folk but even if you have the time off it's not ideal spending half the day in bed! Sometimes I find it hard to sleep, if say I get glutened in my evening meal for example, anyone else get that? I'll put my head down and my heart beat will be going mad even if I'm uber-relaxed.

@ Kitt1027 - this pretty much exactly what I experience, it's so hard to explain to other people that you feel drunk after eating a meal! I'm just starting a gluten-free diet, a month or so but I've def been glutened a few times unintentionally in this time. How long did it take you to start feeling you again after going gluten-free? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how long til you feel you again after getting an accidental glutening?

• 2 weeks later...
Voss Newbie

Yep, if I get glutened I stumble to a place to rest my head and not wake up for an hour of 12.

Archived