This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Women, Can That Time Of The Month Set Off Your Celiac Disease?

Liveenjoylife

Liveenjoylife Apprentice

I am not sure if it is because my time of the month is due and it has or even can set off my c.d. but I have not been my self the past week. I was fine before hand. Besides the sick stomach from nausea, I have been dealing with severe bloating, painful stomach cramps and contstantly running to the bathroom. I have also been dealing with real bad acid reflux. Olive oil, chicken seem to not like me right now and I don't know if it is because my period is due this Friday. I have never had a prob with chicken or olive oil. I had stopped taking my vitamins for a while and started back on them two days ago and that through my digestive tack over the edge withevery thing else that has been going on. I feel most better when I don't eat anything, but I'm gonna have to eat any ways.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

I don't think I would attribute all of it to your monthly but I know I am less tolerant of fats the week before I start. I'll get sour stomach and gas. I think it's just because I overeat to comfort my pms. I also b***h at my bf, put the dogs outside and make the kids do extra chores! :blink:

Mrs. Smith Explorer

Umm....YES! I am pms-ing right now and all of my symptoms come back every month for the week before my period. Though every month they are less severe than the last. I feel like someone hit me with a truck. Keep taking your vitamins. Im sure its b/c our systems are trying to heal and are set back each month by the menstral cycle. It gets better. My hormonal problems are still resolving slowly and my OBGYN said they may be the last thing to resolve, but I have to heal before they can fully recover. I couldnt even get pregnant b/c of celiac! So any improvement to me is a blessing.

oceangirl Collaborator

Yes, yes yes- a glutening is always worse around that time of the month and I think symptoms can mimic some celiac symptoms although to a much lesser degree for me.

lisa

SGWhiskers Collaborator

THANK YOU for asking this question. It feels good to know I'm not imagining this. I couldn't imagine how I was getting celiac symptoms with no good sources of gluten to blame it on. I'm also glad to hear that starting/stopping vitamins can irritate the digestive track. I'm going through a rough spell physically and thus mentally right now, and this could explain a lot.

samcarter Contributor

YES. I never had problems around the time of my period when i was younger, but I am convinced that my third pregnancy triggered my celiac disease. Now, whenever I get my period, I also get intestinal cramps and diarrhea. I remember I had a friend in college who said this happened to her, and I thought, "Weird," but looking back, she was 100% Irish, and it's possible she had undiagnosed celiac disease.

I also have to avoid dairy like the plague before my period, or my cramps are much worse, and I get this very heavy feeling in my legs, like I can't even walk up stairs. If i avoid dairy, at least a week or more before my period, it's much better. So I'm cutting out dairy completely to see if that helps more.

• 1 month later...
ilikechaitea04 Newbie

I get severe constipation that mimics my Celiac symptoms the week before and during my period. At first when it started happeneing I didn't know and I became so paranoid I was ingesting gluten in some way. It's funny how hormones control so much in our bodies.

Also, if you are on birth control YAZ says not to take with a chronic inflammatory disease (aka celiac). It can cause more inflammation than necessary during that time of month. Upon finding this out, I have recently switched my birth control to NUVARING and have had less problems.

Best!

Melissa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pac Apprentice

Thank you so much for this post. I always feel 'glutened' few days before and the first day of my period.

Archived