5 replies to this topic

#1 SteubensMom

SteubensMom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

I have been 100% gluten free since July 14, 2009. I think based upon what I have read I went through the withdrawls and feeling like a dead zombie but now, this week, my stomach will not stop bubbling. Does that mean I am unknowingly getting glutened?

Being new to the forum, joined last night, I am still trying to understand how and where to post comments. I posed this in the food arena and got great ideas for recipes, but still need help understanding my diagnosis as well as a DD and a DH and so forth.

I was diagnosed as celiac by my nutritionist after receiving my lab results by Kimball in July 2009. She said that since I carry the celiac gene and was having celiac related symptoms I should consider myself a celiac. I am not sure but would love to know which strand of my DNA, alpha or beta, tested positive. I also do not understand what the difference is between DQ2 and DQ8. How can you be gluten intolerant and not celiac? Here are my test results.

DQ2 (DQA1*05/DQB1*02 Positive
DQA1*0501 or *0505 Detected
DQB1*0201 or *0202 Detected
DQ8 (DQB1*0302): Negative
DQ1*0302 Not Detected

My daughters were put on a gluten-free diet in 9/05 due to celiac-like symptoms. I have been mostly gluten-free since then but earlier this year began struggling with fatigue and daily bowel issues. Finally scraped up enough to pay for the Kimball test in 07/09 for myself, out of pocket since Kaiser will only do a blood test, will test the children when finances allow.

I am in the learning curve and still stuck in a bit of denial right now.

Throw out cut plastic bowls and plates? Do not allow gluten in my home? Check ingredients in my make-up? Have a biopsy done to determine how bad the villi look and what stage of damage I am in?

Any help would be appreciated! :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:43 AM

For myself that burbling is a symtom that I have been glutened. The gluten free diet is not something that you can do 'sort of'. It needs to be strict otherwise the antibodies will remain active. You do need to check your all meds and supplements, both OTC and script, makeup, toiletries, be careful of cross contamination, replace any porous kitchen tools that have been used for gluten foods, have a dedicated gluten-free toaster etc. You have found a good place to learn about the gluten free life, welcome. Read as much as you can here and ask any questions you need to ask.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 jkr

jkr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

Yes, my stomach gurgles a lot lately. I'm trying to be gluten free but I believe I am getting cross contaminated. I think I have lots of other food allergies and would like to be tested.

#4 runningcrazy

runningcrazy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

Before I went gluten free by our own decision about a month ago, my stomach would be gurgling and popping and making freakish noises every night as i lay in bed. Sometimes we would put a microphone to my stomach to really amplify the weirdness. It was really funny.
But now im gluten free i havent noticed any of that, so my first guess is that you are getting gluten some how. In april i went glluten free, but my pediatrician told me i didnt need to. When I was gluten free then, i was using the same toaster, vitamins with oat fiber and barley grass, and eating lindor truffles which i didnt realize had malt in them.
So check everything and maybe stick to a bland diet where you know you wont be getting gluten.

Good luck-

And have you cut out dairy? I didnt cut it out the first time and i cut it out this time and i think it is making it easier.
'You can't start building a better tomorrow if you wait until tomorrow to start building'

#5 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

You may also experience that gurgling sound if you're eating something else you're intolerant of. Additional intolerances are not uncommon among us here. The gurgling and gas happens to me too if I eat peppers or eggplants or too much tomato. For some reason potatos don't bother me. The best way to figure out what is bothering you is to keep a log of everything you eat. By doing that you should be able to spot patterns.

It seems that once you remove gluten from your diet other intolerances and allergies become more pronounced, or perhaps just more noticable.
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#6 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

I vote for making your kitchen gluten free. Then keep a food (and brand name) diary. After a few day you should find out what food/foods are causing your problem.

If you write out everything you put in your mouth, your will figure it out. Remember things like gum and candy and soda all might contain hidden traces of gluten.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: