This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Morning Fatigue And Fog How Do You Cope?

cyoshimit

cyoshimit Apprentice

Hi,

I'm still learning about my diet, Iv been gluten free for almost 5 weeks. I'm wondering if others have to eat every 2 hours or so to keep up their energy. If i dont eat every couple of hours, fog, and behavioral changes start to set in and I get weak and shake.

How are your mornings? I have to keep some apple juice next to my bed and have it first thing when I wake up because my mood is affected, and I am weak when I dont eat for a while (ie sleeping) then I am sipping on the juice while I make my breakfast. I usually feel very tired when its time to wake up. I get about 8 hours of sleep a night or try to, I am some what coherent when I wake. Does any one else feel weak, fogged, depressed in the morning? If you do could you share your tips of how you deal first thing in the morning? Or if you have to eat every couple of hours because of feeling weak or getting fogged.

I eat mostly protien because i see that it helps my energy a lot. Steaks, bacon, shrimp, kale, buckwheat, quinoa, celery sticks, hummas thats the usual for a meal.

Does any one else experience high anxiety with Celiac?

~cherie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

I'd say your symptoms are pretty common for a lot of newly dx'd persons. It sounds to me like you're experiencing low blood sugar. That's how I feel when my blood sugar is low. I have to eat a lot of protein. Stuff like apple juice would just make me crash. I munch on a little ham while I make my breakfast or take my B12 then.

I don't get the anxiety but a lot of people do. They usually report that improves the longer they are gluten-free.

OliveBranch Apprentice

Hi Cherie,

I don't have much advice, but I wanted to let you know that I share your experience. Mornings are always my toughest times. Often I don't sleep well, which makes mornings particularly arduous, but even when I do sleep well I feel extra tired, achy, foggy, and depressed when I get up. Perhaps it is a blood sugar issue, as Ang1e suggests. My only coping mechanisms so far are taking my sublingual B12 right away (I'm not sure it gives me a noticeable difference, but at it least makes me think I'm doing something), drinking lots of water, and remembering that things often get better later on in the day.

I do experience anxiety as well, usually when I worry that I'm not seeing progress in my recovery, or when I can't fall asleep. I think this is milder since going gluten-free in July, but it's still around.

I hope you start seeing improvement soon, and that others will have good advice for us!

ranger Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm still learning about my diet, Iv been gluten free for almost 5 weeks. I'm wondering if others have to eat every 2 hours or so to keep up their energy. If i dont eat every couple of hours, fog, and behavioral changes start to set in and I get weak and shake.

How are your mornings? I have to keep some apple juice next to my bed and have it first thing when I wake up because my mood is affected, and I am weak when I dont eat for a while (ie sleeping) then I am sipping on the juice while I make my breakfast. I usually feel very tired when its time to wake up. I get about 8 hours of sleep a night or try to, I am some what coherent when I wake. Does any one else feel weak, fogged, depressed in the morning? If you do could you share your tips of how you deal first thing in the morning? Or if you have to eat every couple of hours because of feeling weak or getting fogged.

~cherie

Could be blood sugar issues. Eat some protien- The apple juice would spike you and then crash you. If you can , have your blood sugar checked. Also, I believe sublingual B-12 can help you with anxiety. And, more time on the gluten free diet should help.

cyoshimit Apprentice
I'd say your symptoms are pretty common for a lot of newly dx'd persons. It sounds to me like you're experiencing low blood sugar. That's how I feel when my blood sugar is low. I have to eat a lot of protein. Stuff like apple juice would just make me crash. I munch on a little ham while I make my breakfast or take my B12 then.

I don't get the anxiety but a lot of people do. They usually report that improves the longer they are gluten-free.

I have also noticed that protein helps me too. The ham you much on, do you make your own? or is it something you buy from the store?

cyoshimit Apprentice
Hi Cherie,

I don't have much advice, but I wanted to let you know that I share your experience. Mornings are always my toughest times. Often I don't sleep well, which makes mornings particularly arduous, but even when I do sleep well I feel extra tired, achy, foggy, and depressed when I get up. Perhaps it is a blood sugar issue, as Ang1e suggests. My only coping mechanisms so far are taking my sublingual B12 right away (I'm not sure it gives me a noticeable difference, but at it least makes me think I'm doing something), drinking lots of water, and remembering that things often get better later on in the day.

I do experience anxiety as well, usually when I worry that I'm not seeing progress in my recovery, or when I can't fall asleep. I think this is milder since going gluten-free in July, but it's still around.

I hope you start seeing improvement soon, and that others will have good advice for us!

Thank you for letting me know that you have the same experiences. =) I can relate to the sleeping issue. Its such a stuggle to get up. Its good to know that with time the anxiety will subside little by little. Sometimes I dont remember waking up in the morning cuz of the fog. I hope you start to feel better too and know that you are improving =) thank you Hopeful =)

cyoshimit Apprentice
Could be blood sugar issues. Eat some protien- The apple juice would spike you and then crash you. If you can , have your blood sugar checked. Also, I believe sublingual B-12 can help you with anxiety. And, more time on the gluten free diet should help.

Thank you =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CMG Rookie

My naturopath has recommended 20 grams of protein within an hour of waking. She says that first hour sets your metabolism for the day and protein is important. As for the fatigue and fog, she says that's from overworked adrenal glands. As I understand it, the adrenals control your immune system, and the longer you were undiagnosed gluten intoleran/celiac, the more worn out your adrenals are from over work.

I'm still waiting for my blood work to come back on vitamin B, D and iron; but in the meantime, I'm taking adrenal support supplements that contain various herbs that should help the healing. There are various options in natural food stores.

cyoshimit Apprentice
My naturopath has recommended 20 grams of protein within an hour of waking. She says that first hour sets your metabolism for the day and protein is important. As for the fatigue and fog, she says that's from overworked adrenal glands. As I understand it, the adrenals control your immune system, and the longer you were undiagnosed gluten intoleran/celiac, the more worn out your adrenals are from over work.

I'm still waiting for my blood work to come back on vitamin B, D and iron; but in the meantime, I'm taking adrenal support supplements that contain various herbs that should help the healing. There are various options in natural food stores.

Thank you tht is extremely helpful =) So I am on the right path of eating protien in the morning. And I understand what you are saying about the adrenal Glands too. It makes lots of sense. I jump on a a trampoline 2 times aday for about 10 mins, it supposed to help the adrenal glands and thyroids with cleansing and stimulation. I am also taking various suppliments from my holistic dr.

ang1e0251 Contributor
I have also noticed that protein helps me too. The ham you much on, do you make your own? or is it something you buy from the store?

It's store bought. I use Hormel Naturals lunchmeat. It's the only kind with no added nitrites/ates which I seem to react to. I eat it every day with a high protein breakfast. I was reading on the last page of the SCD thread and one poster was mentioning how he was sleeping better without the complex carbs at dinner. He craved them but he could tell they gave him low blood sugar in the night. It would wake him. That's the way I understood his post. There might be a lesson there. For awhile I would often have to go back to the kitchen for some meat or I couldn't sleep. I do wake at night and I've been wondering if it's a low blood sugar thing. I eat protein at dinner but almost always have some pineapple after.

I would say when you go to class, take a pure protein snack or you will crash again. Cheese sticks would be good. I agree with the advice about upping your protein and good fats. Your body needs the good dietary fats and it will also level out your blood sugar lows.

cyoshimit Apprentice
It's store bought. I use Hormel Naturals lunchmeat. It's the only kind with no added nitrites/ates which I seem to react to. I eat it every day with a high protein breakfast. I was reading on the last page of the SCD thread and one poster was mentioning how he was sleeping better without the complex carbs at dinner. He craved them but he could tell they gave him low blood sugar in the night. It would wake him. That's the way I understood his post. There might be a lesson there. For awhile I would often have to go back to the kitchen for some meat or I couldn't sleep. I do wake at night and I've been wondering if it's a low blood sugar thing. I eat protein at dinner but almost always have some pineapple after.

I would say when you go to class, take a pure protein snack or you will crash again. Cheese sticks would be good. I agree with the advice about upping your protein and good fats. Your body needs the good dietary fats and it will also level out your blood sugar lows.

I will try the lunchmeat and see how that works for me, it would be great for snack like you mentioned especially in school. I will also be more aware of what I eat before I go to bed to see if there is a change. =) Thanks.

cyoshimit Apprentice

I will try the lunchmeat and see how that works for me, it would be great for snack like you mentioned especially in school. I will also be more aware of what I eat before I go to bed to see if there is a change. =) Was it difficult for you at first when learning about what you can and cant eat while keeping up with everyday life and responsabilites?Thank you for the tips too =).

no-more-muffins Apprentice

I don't know much about the protein thing first thing in the morning but I do have to say that I am definitely one who has difficult mornings too. It is hard to get up most of the time and I feel like it is going to be a horrible day. I try to remember that I usually feel pretty decent by around 10:00 but sometimes it is just so hard to make it through the mornings. I have been gluten-free for 3 months and I have had more good mornings the longer I am gluten free but I still have many where I just don't feel good when I wake up. In the mornings I often feel anxious, nauseated, discouraged and sad and "stuck" in this mystery illness. The progress can be so slow that sometimes it feels like you aren't progressing at all. When I have a hard time sleeping it makes me more anxious too. Overall though I am happy to say that my anxiety has decreased quite a bit. My sleeping has also improved so I just have to keep trying and hope that I'll keep feeling better.

It is nice to know that there are others who go through the same things. I have had a couple of bad nights and bad mornings the last few days and it is nice to know that this is common. It sucks, but at least I'm normal. It's hard to not give up because there are so many things to figure out with celiac. If it were just the gluten issue it would be so much easier but it seems like so many of us have other intolerances or health issues. It makes recovery so much harder when you still dont' know for sure what is contributing to the problem.

And thanks to the pp who posted about the Hormel Naturals lunchmeats. I will have to look for those because I am trying to avoid nitrates/ites.

chiroptera Apprentice

Hi, I too have horrible mornings :angry: Mean, tired, foggy, bone exhausted.........I do as much as I can the night before to start the day (in my case make gluten free, casein free and egg free school lunches and snacks for my daughters, get their clothes ironed, mommy stuff). I just changed my dogs feeding schedule and they now get fed when I start to feel better; usually around 10:00. I recently started trying to eat more protein, which I hate, but I know I get nowhere the needed daily amounts. I know my adrenals are burned out to the max and that is part, if not all of the reason I feel so bad.

I have had an especially difficult time feeling so bad in the mornings because I have always been a morning person and jumped out of bed before my alarm would even go off and get going. Now I awaken but my body doesn't want to move.

I guess my only advice is to do whatever you can the night before so you have less to do in the morning, no matter what stage of life you're in.

Shess0816 Apprentice
Hi,

I eat mostly protien because i see that it helps my energy a lot. Steaks, bacon, shrimp, kale, buckwheat, quinoa, celery sticks, hummas thats the usual for a meal.

~cherie

Hey! I eat 6 meals a day since being diagnosed. Now, that doesn't mean I eat 6 BIG meals a day -- I eat three healthy meals and then I have decent sized snacks in between. I have found that I HAVE TO EAT breakfast now. I never ate breakfast before my diagnosis, but I've noticed that now if I skip that I feel really out of it and weak by the time lunch rolls around and I usually don't feel well the rest of the day then. I try to get in a good breakfast -- eggs, bacon, gluten free waffles, or cereal. I eat my breakfast right after I get to work. Then a couple hours later I will have some popcorn or some veggies or a protein bar (gluten free of course). Then I eat my lunch -- I always try to have some protein with every single meal. Then when I get home from work I have a snack -- some veggies, some chips and salsa, a piece of ham heated up in a gluten free tortilla. Then I have my dinner -- usually chicken, pork, fish -- gluten free rice, potatoes, veggies, etc... We usually eat dinner around 7:30 -- so about 9:30 or 10, I will have another snack -- sometimes it's a real snack (ice cream) but most often its a can of fruit or an apple or something like that to give me a little energy while I sleep.

I've noticed eating that snack before bed has really helped my morning fog as you put it. That's funny you said it that way, because that was one of the first things I described to my doctors as the first thing I noticed being better when I started my gluten free diet. I felt like I could finally think again! I didn't realize how much of a fog I'd been in for that many years! Anyway, like I said, it helps me to eat something right before bed. Also, if I'm having a harder morning, I may eat an apple on the way to work, too.

Also, the other thing to think about with respect to the tiredness is, are you taking any vitamin supplements? With the way Celiac's affects your absorption of nutrients, it could just be that you have a vitamin deficiency making you more tired...

Hope that helps a little!

cyoshimit Apprentice
Hey! I eat 6 meals a day since being diagnosed.

Also, the other thing to think about with respect to the tiredness is, are you taking any vitamin supplements? With the way Celiac's affects your absorption of nutrients, it could just be that you have a vitamin deficiency making you more tired...

Hope that helps a little!

This helps alot. Yep Im on suppliments to help heal my body and to suppliment the nutrition loss. Last night I tried to eat every couple of hours as well. Woke up every 2 hours at first to eat but then I just wanted to sleep but in the morning my fog was not as bad =) It was a welcomed relief, i just have to manage the tiredness from not sleeping all the way through but thats totally managable.

Thank you for the tips and your schedule and the things that you eat.

GFinDC Veteran

I don't have any great solutions for you. I have had trouble sleeping for years and am just starting to feel like I am getting over it some. I try to eat a little protein in the morning also. Sometimes just a boiled egg with salt sprinkled on it. I also quit drinking coffee and tea some month ago. I was bouncing back and forth between being alert and crashing through the floor and kept going by drinking more and more coffee when I crashed. Kind of an endless cycle. My body seemed to like being caffeine free, and I felt more even throughout the day. I have drank a cup or so of tea few time recently to keep going when I didn't get much sleep. But I don't ever want to get hooked on it again.

I sometimes take Sudafed 12 hour non-drowsy to stay awake. Not something I recommend but sometimes I need to keep alert and it helps. Sometimes I eat just a little bit of dairy to wake up. Dairy has an affect of waking me up for some reason.

One thing that helped me was eliminating trace cc in vitamins. And also getting a thyroid supplement. I think a little protein before bed is good also.

CGally81 Enthusiast

That sounds like what I was like the first two weeks of going gluten free! Hungry ALL the time, getting weak and shaking if I didn't eat enough (and "enough" meant a lot of food), etc.

After having to eat like every hour or so, it got to the point where I had to eat like every 2, and but this time, I'm now at the point where I have to eat 6 medium to large meals to get through the day, but at least I can sleep now and wake up feeling normal. Plus, because I'm getting the food my body wants in a day (and it doesn't want as much), I now sleep better at night, rather than waking up at 4 or 6 AM, and feeling hungry by breakfast time (around 8).

I've been gluten free since August 6. It's been nearly 2 months, and I am seeing definite improvement. Then again, I'd only suffered overt symptoms for 5 months (I may have been asymptomic before that, or had "silent" symptoms, as I had actually developed a fructose and milk problem, both of which have gone away, or are mostly gone). So my recovery time may be faster than a lot of people's.

But still, I went through what you're going through now. In fact, I can tell you from experience, that it DOES get better, albeit slowly. My fasting blood sugar was found to be high when I got my blood tested, but all other possible signs of diabetes or pre-diabetes were negative. So I think you might be having blood sugar issues like I still am. And I also think that, like me, you'll get better over time. Just keep eating as much as your body needs. If your body wants A LOT of food, then give it A LOT of food. I was eating maybe 4000+ calories a day during those first two weeks. I don't count calories anymore. Why bother? I'm giving my body what it knows it wants, and I am seeing improvement. In fact, I put on a surprising amount of muscle and only a little fat, and minimal waist gain, so I know things are going right. (I'll reduce my waist when this has passed, by eating healthy and not undereating!)

Anyway, good luck! Hang in there - lots of people say it gets better even if it takes months and months (or for some, years) to do so. I'm actually seeing it get better in my own experience, and I think you will too. Oh yeah, and healthier foods help more than high GI foods. Take it from me. For instance, popcorn helps more than ice cream. I too have noticed that protein-containing foods seem to keep the hunger at bay longer.

cyoshimit Apprentice
That sounds like what I was like the first two weeks of going gluten free! Hungry ALL the time, getting weak and shaking if I didn't eat enough (and "enough" meant a lot of food), etc.

After having to eat like every hour or so, it got to the point where I had to eat like every 2, and but this time, I'm now at the point where I have to eat 6 medium to large meals to get through the day, but at least I can sleep now and wake up feeling normal. Plus, because I'm getting the food my body wants in a day (and it doesn't want as much), I now sleep better at night, rather than waking up at 4 or 6 AM, and feeling hungry by breakfast time (around 8).

thank you for sharing your story. I am eating like that as well, ever couple of hours. I hope that I start to improve soon like you did. Thank you =)

Archived