This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free For A Couple Months - Still Diarrhea!

L13

L13 Rookie

Ok - I have been on the diet and eliminated most dairy too but still have bad diarrhea. It is embarrassing and annoying. My doctor said to take Prilosec - but that was for heart burn (stomach acid)!???

How long does it take for NORMAL BMs - it is so lame to be asking this but where else can you ask other people!?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jststric Contributor

I can only speak of my experience with this. When all my problems started I had diarrhrea all the time. I was altready dairy-intolerant but it got alot worse. I couldn't get doctors to find a reason for anything so I did my own research and decided Iust have a 'leaky gut' which needed to be healed before I would see results from any elimination diet I was trying. My doc did say that I needed to replace the good bacteria in my intestines by eating yogurt. Being dairy-intolerant, that wasn't possible. I finally stumbled onto a vitamin and supplement company that has a very large segment of products that are allergen-free. See www.kirkmanlabs.com. I got some lactobassilus acidolphilus pills and took a double dose for 2 weeks and could really see an improvement in my stools. I still take 1 a day and if I feel like I've poisoned myself in some way I double up again for a few days. You could also have an allergy or intolerance to other food groups you haven't discovered yet. Start a journal and see if you could find other reasons.

Lisa Mentor

Consider doing a food diary and document all foods, lotions, lip treatments, meds, vitamins, etc.... are all gluten free, or perhaps other food intolerances....as already mentioned.

Prilosec is as odd RX. Too much can give you bathroom issues too.

GottaSki Mentor

I agree Prilosec sounds like an odd solution. Best to start with the food log -- don't forget vitamins/supplements. Too much Magnesium gives me some issues.

Also, not sure how long you've been gluten-free -- it can take some time for everything to become more regular -- for years my problem was more C than D - think it took at least 3 months for me to begin to be more regular.

Good Luck!

Lynayah Enthusiast

Take a look at the Carbohydrate Specific Diet at Open Original Shared Link

The information there may help you (it helped me).

• 2 weeks later...
jackay Enthusiast

I've been taking probiotics for a long time. Doubled my dose and when that didn't work, doubled the double dose. I still am not seeing much of an improvement. Some days it is a little better and I think the worse is over but then it starts in again.

I've eliminated nuts, soy, dairy and eggs and still have diarrhea. I'm guessing it is from gluten contamination. If it's not the wheat, it has to be some other food(s). I keep a food diary and can never pinpoint what other foods are bothering me.

I did try kefir a few times as my doctor thought I could possibly handle dairy that way since it has so many good strains of probioitics. My system is definitely not ready for that. It sure was delicious though. I definitely miss dairy more than I miss wheat. I do hope my dairy days can come back.

tunibell Rookie

You might want to ask your doctor about testing for microscopic colitis. It's another autoimmune disease that can often occur in tandem with celiac disease. It requires a colonoscopy to diagnose (fun, I know), but it is very treatable.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I've been taking a probiotic since May and it eliminated my problem with D altogether. However, when I went gluten free in October, I thought I'd wait a bit and see if I could stop taking the probiotic, since I was off gluten. I stopped taking my probiotic 10 weeks after going gluten free and within 48 hours, was having D again, just like before I'd started the probiotic.

For me, my probiotic has been a lifesaver. Apparently my body needs them, and when I stop taking them, I get pretty sick with D. I would suggest trying a probiotic and see what happens. Also look at other foods that may be causing a reaction, like soy or eggs. Good luck!

Janie

• 1 month later...
SaraLynnMusic Newbie

I don't think it's lame to ask that question. I have the same question. I've been on the gluten-free diet for 2 months now. I am EXTREMELY cautious about cross contamination and what is in the ingredients of anything I ingest right down to my toothpaste and the shampoo I use. I'm taking the soluble fibre stuff that a lot of IBS people take in the hopes that will help. So far still have the D. It's difficult for me to leave my house, to go to work etc. Because of that I'm experiencing extreme anxiety when I do leave the house.

Will the D ever stop? Could it be that my body is still healing after 2 months of being gluten free or is it more likely there is something else going on? Did it take anyone else this long to get rid of their D and then their BM's finally became normal again?

Tanya4444 Newbie

Ok - I have been on the diet and eliminated most dairy too but still have bad diarrhea. It is embarrassing and annoying. My doctor said to take Prilosec - but that was for heart burn (stomach acid)!???

How long does it take for NORMAL BMs - it is so lame to be asking this but where else can you ask other people!?

Thanks

Tanya4444 Newbie

Hi there! I have been gluten-free for about six months and it was not until two months ago that I finally felt normal in the BM department. It had been initially really good for about a month following gluten elimination and then off and on again with the diarrhea for the next three months. So....don't despair--I think it takes varying lengths of time for the vilii to repair from the damage. I have felt great for two months now and I haven't been able to say that in years and years!!!!

T.H. Community Regular

re: the prilosec.

After having an allergic reaction to a food that landed me in the ER, I was given prilosec, too.

I was told that on top of the antacid properties, prilosec also acts as an anti-inflammatory in the gut, so it can help calm things down in that area of the body, for some people. I'm assuming maybe that's what they were thinking of?

Thanks

Archived