This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Kind Of Supplements Do You Take? Aloe? Antioxidents?

Donna F

Donna F Enthusiast

Hi everyone! Guess I've been away a while. Nice new look to the board!

I'm just curious what kinds of supplements people take that may be beneficial for Celiacs. I only take Calcium and Vitamin C and occasionally I drink 8 oz of Aloe a day (when I can afford to get it...).

Just curious what other people do. My main concern is with future possible cancer. I want to do everything I can to avoid it b/c I know I am often contaminated. I follow labels but some things still cause problems - often, I believe, b/c of contamination issues during processing. Sometimes it takes trial-and-error to determine just how gluten-free something is.

So, with that in mind, I am looking for supplements that would promote healing and discourage cancer. Maybe antioxidents? Maybe some other natural foods?

Thanks~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

I take a multivitamin, a probiotic (this helps immensely!) a supplement called Wobenzyme (helps with inflammation) and others not related to celiac.

I think the BEST thing you can do is avoid processed food since you feel like you're getting contaminated a lot. The more fresh fruit, veggies, meat and products that you make yourself, the better you'll feel!

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, a strong co-enzyme B-complex is a good idea. Also a multivitamin is generally helpful as well. And I'm always recommending B12 (methyl form), and magnesium too. These are important for so many things, the list seems endless. They both help strengthen the blood/brain barrier, which I'm sure reduces the risk of brain cancer.

Incidentally, calcium cannot make it into bone without magnesium. Vitamin D is also involved, as is zinc, and numerous other nutrients. Truly, the body needs all the essential nutrients to function at its best. The problem is, medical science has yet to identify most of them! That's why eating right is one of the best things you can do to stay healthy. A widely varied diet of all kinds of foods (vegetables, fruits, beans, grains, nuts, seeds, etc, etc) goes a long way towards a healthy body.

The spice turmeric has been getting a lot of attention in recent years, for its many health benefits. Other spices and herbs also possess healing/health sustaining properties.

What you don't eat is also important. I've read that sugar reduces antioxidant levels within the body, which would then raise cancer risk. Maybe that's why fruit often has antioxidants along with the sugars?

Last but not least, while what you feed the body is important, what you feed the mind is also important. Your mental/spiritual health shouldn't be overlooked. Having these in good order will help you in all things, including dealing with the stresses which seem to be so ever-present these days. The B vitamins (especially B12) is essential for the production of serotonin, melatonin, and more. It helps with sleep/wake cycles, mood, energy production, and many other aspects of neurological function. That'll help with more things than I can list.

kimis Collaborator

I have so much trouble with supps. They hurt my insides and constipate me, but I keep buying different brands just incase I find one that I can handle. I am a bit confused about iodine...I read I shouldn't have it because it will aggravate my Hashimoto's, but I read that some lady got off her thyroid meds completely by supplementing it.

I agree that your diet is most important...I also think buying organic foods should be a priority as well.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have so much trouble with supps. They hurt my insides and constipate me, but I keep buying different brands just incase I find one that I can handle. I am a bit confused about iodine...I read I shouldn't have it because it will aggravate my Hashimoto's, but I read that some lady got off her thyroid meds completely by supplementing it.

I agree that your diet is most important...I also think buying organic foods should be a priority as well.

I had the same problems. I spent a lot of money on supplements that ended up going to waste. I gave up on them for quite a while until I checked out the hypoallergenic line at Kirkman Labs. I use their Everyday Multi and Vitamin D with no problems at all. They offer trial sizes so you can try them out without a big investment.

Open Original Shared Link

Donna F Enthusiast

I take a multivitamin, a probiotic (this helps immensely!) a supplement called Wobenzyme (helps with inflammation) and others not related to celiac.

I think the BEST thing you can do is avoid processed food since you feel like you're getting contaminated a lot. The more fresh fruit, veggies, meat and products that you make yourself, the better you'll feel!

Mtndog, that is so true. I wish I had more time on my hands to do that. I miss convenience foods like canned soups and microwave meals. I need lots of protien too and I tend to eat a lot of lunchmeat, jerk and nuts between meals. Love tomato juice, but I think Campbells is not as good as V8. I get hungry between meals a lot (I have low-blood sugar issues...)so I fill between meals sometimes with chips and salad too - but salad dressing may be a problem too (I don't always use Kraft - sometimes I just check the label and hope for the best with like a generic brand).

I'll check out those supplements - thanks!

Donna F Enthusiast

Well, a strong co-enzyme B-complex is a good idea. Also a multivitamin is generally helpful as well. And I'm always recommending B12 (methyl form), and magnesium too. These are important for so many things, the list seems endless. They both help strengthen the blood/brain barrier, which I'm sure reduces the risk of brain cancer.

Incidentally, calcium cannot make it into bone without magnesium. Vitamin D is also involved, as is zinc, and numerous other nutrients. Truly, the body needs all the essential nutrients to function at its best. The problem is, medical science has yet to identify most of them! That's why eating right is one of the best things you can do to stay healthy. A widely varied diet of all kinds of foods (vegetables, fruits, beans, grains, nuts, seeds, etc, etc) goes a long way towards a healthy body.

I could definately add some variety to those things. I'm such a scheduled person - I like to have the same things every day, every week. Probably not healthy though.

The spice turmeric has been getting a lot of attention in recent years, for its many health benefits. Other spices and herbs also possess healing/health sustaining properties.

What is turmeric like? What do you use it on?

What you don't eat is also important. I've read that sugar reduces antioxidant levels within the body, which would then raise cancer risk. Maybe that's why fruit often has antioxidants along with the sugars?

I have to be careful about sugar b/c of my low-blood sugar problem. I pretty much avoid it aside from an occasional bit of fruit before a meal or 1 piece of chocolate after my supper.

Last but not least, while what you feed the body is important, what you feed the mind is also important. Your mental/spiritual health shouldn't be overlooked. Having these in good order will help you in all things, including dealing with the stresses which seem to be so ever-present these days. The B vitamins (especially B12) is essential for the production of serotonin, melatonin, and more. It helps with sleep/wake cycles, mood, energy production, and many other aspects of neurological function. That'll help with more things than I can list.

Things are fine in that department, thankfully! Thanks, Riceguy!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Donna F Enthusiast

Yeah, I haven't considered that enough (organic foods). I really ought to start doing that.

Donna F Enthusiast

I had the same problems. I spent a lot of money on supplements that ended up going to waste. I gave up on them for quite a while until I checked out the hypoallergenic line at Kirkman Labs. I use their Everyday Multi and Vitamin D with no problems at all. They offer trial sizes so you can try them out without a big investment.

Good to know, thanks, b/c the manufacturer of the multi I used to take went out of business.

jackay Enthusiast

I have a whole closet full of supplements that I react to. It really gets frustrating because I definitely cannnot afford them. I cringe every time my doctor wants me to try something else. Right now I see that my multivitamin contains citrus bioflavoniods. I tested positive to lemon and grapefruit intolerance so wonder if my multis are a problem for me. I am going to continue taking them until I see my doctor. I do hope the good nutrients in them far outway the bad.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I'm so careful about supplements. I made myself really sick overdoing it on them one time. My doc, who was very supportive of natural medicine and actually practiced acupuncture in addition to being an M.D., said that when you start self diagnosing and giving yourself a bunch of things, not only can you be reacting to them, but they can be reacting to each other or interacting with the medications you take. He said he had a woman who was so sick they weren't sure if she was going to make it. Her liver enzymes were through the roof and she had all sorts of crazy stuff going on. Finally it dawned on him to ask about supplements and she was taking so many different things that she was causing herself to be so sick.

I just have always remembered that as a cautionary tale. If you are going to try different things, I'd say do one thing at a time and take it for awhile to see if you react or if it makes you better. Then if that one is okay, a few weeks later add one more.

Multivitamins, extra calcium, D and B vitamins are pretty standard and that's what I'm taking for now. I'm seeing an acupuncturist so he has me on tons of herbs, but I never ever do herbs by myself. Way too dangerous IMHO. He is a 3rd generation acupuncturist and herbologist so I trust what he is doing and I take it exactly as directed just as I would a prescription medication from my doctor.

RiceGuy Collaborator

What is turmeric like? What do you use it on?

Open Original Shared Link is a popular spice in Indian cuisine. Some traditional curry powders include turmeric. It's difficult to describe, but if you like curries, I think you'd like turmeric. I'd put it in the same category along with paprika, red pepper, curry powder, and so forth. I'm not a big fan of it myself, but a lot of people seem to like it. Turmeric has a strong reddish/orange-ish sort of color to it, and is often used in food for its color.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Here are some articles about medicinal properties of just two spices. The more herbs I look up, the more I appreciate them. Even cinnamon has medicinal properties.

Archived