This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

High Prices For Gluten-Free Foods In Stores...

Hawaii78

Hawaii78 Newbie

Why do you think the prices are so high for gluten-free foods in grocery stores? You'd think that by putting in far less ingredients, they would charge less. Trader Joe's does not have much for me (I need to stay away from nuts, too), so I found out Whole Foods Market has plenty of Gluten/wheat-free foods. Some are reasonably priced. I tried the donuts from their freezer which were about $4 for a 6-pack and they were really good. Whole Foods also has their own bakery where they make gluten/wheat-free items, and they had a small (1-person-size) baked apple pie for $10.99! Their brownies were $7.99 for a 4-pack! Cookies were $6.99 for about 6! I have been about 2 months into this and I am trying to find the best away around my problem. But until I get a chance to try my hand at more baking, I'm stuck with the stores for snacks. Wouldn't you think they would charge less for less ingredients?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Wheat and corn are cheap. They are used for filler in almost everything, it seems.

mamaw Community Regular

I Agree with you the price of gluten-free goodies is awful. If one can do just meat, veggies, & fruits then its not expensive but for us we want the best of the best & a wide variety. I just can't wrap my head or mouth around a muffin becoming a hamburger bun, next time it becomes garlic bread & so on..

Several years ago when other than celiac started using the gluten-free foods we were hoping they would get cheaper but as you know that has not happened. So for us who need gluten-free food I guess you have to pay big bucks for quality gluten-free foods...

If we protest, we starve so I guess we are in a catch 22....

blessings

mamaw

Erin Elberson Newbie

Try to head toward naturally gluten free snacks-fruit, nuts, veggies, string cheese if you can do dairy. Food that is naturally gluten free tends to be less expensive.

mndtrp Newbie

Several years ago when other than celiac started using the gluten-free foods we were hoping they would get cheaper but as you know that has not happened. So for us who need gluten-free food I guess you have to pay big bucks for quality gluten-free foods...

There seems to be more options for gluten free food, which is a start. As there becomes more demand, more awareness, and more use of these foods, there should become more companies that offer gluten free food. Hopefully, that will increase competition, which should help to drive down prices.

kenlove Rising Star

YOu sort of hit the nail on the head -- I dont see the government subsidizing the sorghum and millet growers (^_^)-- Fruit growers would be nice though...

Wheat and corn are cheap. They are used for filler in almost everything, it seems.

buffettbride Enthusiast

I remember the days of thinking a loaf of bread for $2.99 was expensive--for "the good stuff". I shell out $4.95 a loaf for two *tiny* Udi's loaves a week. Good golly, that's insane.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

I remember the days of thinking a loaf of bread for $2.99 was expensive--for "the good stuff". I shell out $4.95 a loaf for two *tiny* Udi's loaves a week. Good golly, that's insane.

Wow...that's actually a good deal. I pay $5.73 for one tiny loaf, which is cheaper than buying online...I would happily pay $4.95 for 2 loaves :P Our local stores really take advantage of people needing to buy gluten free foods and mark them up EXTREMELY high. Quite sad, really.

ETA: Okay, I see you're in Denver, CO, which is where Udi's is located. Maybe they will franchise someday :)

buffettbride Enthusiast

Wow...that's actually a good deal. I pay $5.73 for one tiny loaf, which is cheaper than buying online...I would happily pay $4.95 for 2 loaves :P Our local stores really take advantage of people needing to buy gluten free foods and mark them up EXTREMELY high. Quite sad, really.

ETA: Okay, I see you're in Denver, CO, which is where Udi's is located. Maybe they will franchise someday :)

The $4.95 is for each loaf, but yes--it's the UDIs which is cheaper here in Denver.

mamaw Community Regular

I hear the mark up on gluten-free foods is over ,well over 200%. To me that is sad but nothing we can do about it. More companies come on board everyday but that has not stopped the pricing game!One would think competition would bring prices down but it hasn't &I don't believe after this amount of time it will. There is money to be made in the gluten-free market. again we need the food to survive & they know it.......

I know if we want to deny our cravings for certain things then yes, we could just not buy the gluten-free stuff..but again I don't foresee that helping prices become lower.

Baking at home is the best way to curb the pricing but not everyone has the time or energy to do that.

blessings

mamaw

kenlove Rising Star

Never saw Udi's in Kona where the other frozen and Glutino breads are well over $7.00

That gluten-free black bread is $8.95!!!

kayo Explorer

As gluten-free products become more popular and more mainstream companies produce gluten-free items the cost will go down. Right now the companies making gluten-free items tend to be small which adds to the cost. Think of it like a boutique item rather than something you can grab at a big box store.

Also, they're specialty items and stores only carry a small amount which takes up precious space in the market so you're paying for that markup too.

You can get better prices if you buy directly from the manufacturer or from someplace like Amazon and take advantage of free shipping.

For example I love Pamela's gluten-free bread mix. It's $5.50 for a single bag at Whole Foods but I can buy a case of 6 from Amazon and pay just over $4 a bag. Making my own fresh made loaf then is just $4 plus the cost of a couple of eggs and oil, and my time (or my bread machine's time!).

MindytheOrganist Enthusiast

Here in Iowa, we have a grocery store chain called HyVee. Their website has a 50+ page document listing their brands that are gluten-free. HyVee store brands are generally cheaper than name brands, with not much difference in quality. You might want to check with your local grocery store chain and see if they have (or will) publish a gluten-free list.

Having traveled to Kentucky, I've noticed Kroger and Mejers (sp?) have published gluten-free food lists.

I'm blessed and pray a prayer of thanksgiving every day that the higher cost of gluten-free foods only irritates us.

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

You might want to check with your local grocery store chain and see if they have (or will) publish a gluten-free list.

I don't have a Hyvee close to me, but I do have stores that carry Kroger, Best Choice, and Always Save brands.

Here are the gluten free listing sites:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

The prices are MUCH lower than "name brands" and save us a lot of money in the long run!

Archived