arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

New Armour Thyroid And Synthroid Contain Gluten!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Angelnoir1111

Angelnoir1111

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

I have celiac disease and a sulfite allergy and have been on Thyroid medication for 15 yrs and was fine until my pharmacy gave me the generic Levoxyl (synthroid) a year and a half ago and I was also on Armour which has just been changed to a new formula. I started getting very very sick with celiac symptoms and had no idea why since I had been on these medications for so long. I stopped eating everything and my heart and lungs started becoming affected along with my liver and I knew I was getting gluten in something. I was taken off of my thyroid meds and my celiac symptoms went away but my thyroid was messed up so I went back on my thyroid meds and got my celiac symptoms back. I finally found information on hidden gluten in meds and here you go... http://celiacdisease...medications.htm

Ive checked levoxyl and my compounded sustained release T3 and those are fine.

I hope this will help those of you who can't figure out where your gluten is coming from!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Traveller

Traveller

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:58 AM

Are you sure that those products contain gluten? I've used Armour consistently for two years without problems, and the Armour web site says their product is gluten-free.

http://www.armourthy...m/con_faqs.aspx
Diagnosed 03/09
Gluten-free since 03/09 (and manic about it)
Looking forward to a better life since 03/09

#3 T.H.

T.H.

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

Armour web site says their product is gluten-free.

It's possible that the new change in formula has upped the gluten levels, even if they are still below the 20ppm threshold. So some who are more sensitive might have an issue.

However, the synthroid used to be listed as gluten free on www.glutenfreedrugs.com, and is now listed as 'can no longer guarantee gluten-free status'

So could be either, but the synthroid would worry me more, actually.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#4 beefree11

beefree11

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

It's possible that the new change in formula has upped the gluten levels, even if they are still below the 20ppm threshold. So some who are more sensitive might have an issue.

However, the synthroid used to be listed as gluten free on www.glutenfreedrugs.com, and is now listed as 'can no longer guarantee gluten-free status'

So could be either, but the synthroid would worry me more, actually.

Good to know.
"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them -- every day begin the task anew."

Saint Francis de Sales

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

"Can not guarantee gluten-free status" is generally a disclaimer given for legal reasons. It does not mean that the product contains gluten.

Any guarantee requires testing to back it up, and for cost reasons it is rarely done. If testing is done, there will be a qualifier applied, such as "tested to verify less than 20 ppm gluten." And again, less than 20 ppm can and often does mean 0 ppm. They can only guarantee what the test will cover.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 Angelnoir1111

Angelnoir1111

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Are you sure that those products contain gluten? I've used Armour consistently for two years without problems, and the Armour web site says their product is gluten-free.

http://www.armourthy...m/con_faqs.aspx

Actually, I just found out that what the pharmacies have been passing off as the "new Armour" is actually NP Thyroid and not made by the same company at all so
Armour made by Forest is still okay but NP Thyroid made by Acella DOES contain gluten. The 60mg tablets have an AP on one side of them and 330 on the other side and Real Armour only has an A stamped on it. Yes Synthroid does contain gluten now.

#7 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Are you sure about the synthroid?I was under the understanding that the 50mcg does not contain gluten ? (Abbott Pharmancy)
My insurance had me change to generic synthroid & I've been sick for two months with a swollen mouth , dry cracked lips,& a skin eruption on my forearm.....I just got back the synthroid from Abbott. I honestly think synthroid is crap & I'm in the process of going to natural forms. I hear ERFA is the best. Amour & nature-roid has been re-formulated & I hear it does not work like the old ones did. For me being thyroidless from RAI is scary....
blessings

mamaw

#8 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

I have celiac disease and a sulfite allergy and have been on Thyroid medication for 15 yrs and was fine until my pharmacy gave me the generic Levoxyl (synthroid) a year and a half ago and I was also on Armour which has just been changed to a new formula. I started getting very very sick with celiac symptoms and had no idea why since I had been on these medications for so long. I stopped eating everything and my heart and lungs started becoming affected along with my liver and I knew I was getting gluten in something. I was taken off of my thyroid meds and my celiac symptoms went away but my thyroid was messed up so I went back on my thyroid meds and got my celiac symptoms back. I finally found information on hidden gluten in meds and here you go... http://celiacdisease...medications.htm

Ive checked levoxyl and my compounded sustained release T3 and those are fine.

I hope this will help those of you who can't figure out where your gluten is coming from!

OK I am confused :unsure: my understand was that GENERIC synthyroid contains gluten but NAME BRAND Synthyroid is gluten free,,, can someone clarify this for me???
I take name brand Synthyroid daily

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

I just went to a gluten-free drug site & no synthroid is guarenteed to be gluten-free.... & I also found out Diovan can not be guarenteed gluten-free either.URRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.....diovan hct is gluten-free!

Probably why I'm having a sore tongue& lips........ Chill -----your doctor is not in my insurance plan! But thanks for the name! I'm getting off of synthyroid....
blessings

mamaw

#10 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

I just went to a gluten-free drug site & no synthroid is guarenteed to be gluten-free.... & I also found out Diovan can not be guarenteed gluten-free either.URRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.....diovan hct is gluten-free!

Probably why I'm having a sore tongue& lips........ Chill -----your doctor is not in my insurance plan! But thanks for the name! I'm getting off of synthyroid....
blessings

mamaw

Sorry she is not in your Insurance plan :( really upsets me that some times our health depends on what our insurance will or will not cover :angry:

I need suggestions for an alternative to synthyroid

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#11 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

chill

I sent you a PM....

mamaw

#12 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Actually, I just found out that what the pharmacies have been passing off as the "new Armour" is actually NP Thyroid and not made by the same company at all so
Armour made by Forest is still okay but NP Thyroid made by Acella DOES contain gluten. The 60mg tablets have an AP on one side of them and 330 on the other side and Real Armour only has an A stamped on it. Yes Synthroid does contain gluten now.

Where did you verify that Synthroid contains gluten? I haven't seen anything in this thread that suggests anyone has called the company to confirm.

Per Syntroid's website: http://www.rxabbott....f/Synthroid.pdf The ingredients are:
Acacia, confectioner's sugar (contains corn starch), lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#13 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:18 AM

Also, I don't see any gluten in NP Thyroid by Acella either:

http://dailymed.nlm....fo.cfm?id=37279

Inactive Ingredients: CALCIUM STEARATE, DEXTROSE MONOHYDRATE, MALTODEXTRIN, MINERAL OIL

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#14 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:58 AM

Whenever someone talks about Synthroid, I always have to share my story...

I know I was getting some CC of gluten from the brand name Synthroid (Abbott) last year. I was on Synthroid for my first three months of being gluten free and I didn't get any better at all. I called the Abbott company twice & they told me the same thing - "They didn't add gluten to the Synthroid and they didn't test for gluten, but they couldn't guarantee it was gluten free." When I got my new prescription for that third month, I suddenly felt worse. I started to suspect that it was the Synthroid since that was the only new item I added to my diet. I always keep a food journal. So, I called the Abbott company again & the rep. told me that "Synthroid was not marketed as a gluten free product." :ph34r: That statement really made me nervous. So, I started eating nothing but natural whole foods and I was still feeling worse everyday. I was starting to not being able to eat again. I get a horrible stomach fullness when I get a lot of gluten in my system, I was losing weight again and my acid reflux wasn't going away at all. So, I weeded out all of the processed foods. I was really worried that I was never going to get better- maybe I had other food allergies or even another disease. I was so sick and I was just getting worse. After two weeks of taking the new prescription of Synthriod, I knew it couldn't be anything else but that. It had to be that since I was eating all fresh, whole foods. I really didn't want to change my thyroid hormone med, but I called my doctor & told them how I was feeling. My Endo doctor called the Abbott company also & they told him the same thing, so they switched me to Levoxyl from King Pharmaceuticals.

I did some research on the King Pharm. company before I started taking the brand name Levoxyl. When I called King Pharm. last year, they told me they do guarantee that Levoxly is gluten free when it leaves their facility. My doctor totally agreed with me to change and didn't argue at all with me when I told him that I thought I was getting some gluten from the Synthriod.
Here's the Levoxyl link:

http://www.kingpharm...ducts/index.cfm

I noticed a difference as soon as I stopped the Synthroid and started taking the brand name Levoxyl. After just one day my stomach fullness went away and I was able to eat again. After about a week I gained about 4 lbs! And after a month I gained about 8 lbs! Before I was really struggling with keeping my weight up. I was 96 pounds at 5'2". So I really needed to gain weight.

I know I'll never take the brand name of Synthroid ever again or any other medicines from the Abbott company. I've been sticking with the brand name Levoxly and haven't had any problems since.

I hope this helps someone!
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

#15 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Lisa
Tigercat
did your internist from Oakland give this to you? I'm caaling to make my appt on Monday with him. I had to make sure he was under my insurance...
thanks mamaw...Maybe that will help meas well....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: