This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sore Throat As A First Sign Of Glutening

Marz

Marz Enthusiast

So a few times in the last couple of weeks I've been getting adventurous with my food - trying new brands etc. When something didn't agree with me, the first sign I've noticed is a sore throat, like a mild burning sensation. This happened with :

* Gino Ginelli ice cream both times I had it ( Unilever brand, no wheat listed, no gluten warnings, only "modified starches" which should be non-wheat, and "glucose syrup")

* Nestle ice cream (Again no gluten mentioned, no warnings)

* Orgran gluten-free biscuits

After the sore throat is a sore stomach, and then d a few hours later, anxiety etc etc. Note I don't get this for other types of ice-cream, like store-bought no-name-brand chocolate ice-cream, or my own home-made biscuits so it's not lactose upsetting my stomach.

What I really hate is that these are supposedly "gluten free" items, no warnings listed. I can only guess there's some cross contamination with the product or in the original ingredients.

I thought the sore throat is interesting though, makes an early warning system for me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

So a few times in the last couple of weeks I've been getting adventurous with my food - trying new brands etc. When something didn't agree with me, the first sign I've noticed is a sore throat, like a mild burning sensation. This happened with :

* Gino Ginelli ice cream both times I had it ( Unilever brand, no wheat listed, no gluten warnings, only "modified starches" which should be non-wheat, and "glucose syrup")

* Nestle ice cream (Again no gluten mentioned, no warnings)

* Orgran gluten-free biscuits

After the sore throat is a sore stomach, and then d a few hours later, anxiety etc etc. Note I don't get this for other types of ice-cream, like store-bought no-name-brand chocolate ice-cream, or my own home-made biscuits so it's not lactose upsetting my stomach.

What I really hate is that these are supposedly "gluten free" items, no warnings listed. I can only guess there's some cross contamination with the product or in the original ingredients.

I thought the sore throat is interesting though, makes an early warning system for me.

Hi Marz!!

I have had a sore, scratchy throat and "burny" mouth/tongue for almost 2 years. Like all my other symptoms, no one could explain it to me :angry:

I definitely tie it to the gluten.Even drinking club soda hurt going down. :blink: At times, I felt like it would close right up.

It had started to subside, along with the D and anxiety, etc... (I am gluten-free 5 weeks) and then, last week, I was glutened somehow and until I read your post this morning I could not, for the life of me, figure it out as I am very careful.

I ate ORGRAN animal crackers!!

I have wondered if anyone else had this burny throat symptom. Sorry you get it, because it is uncomfortable, but glad to know I am not alone and that someday, it will subside for good as I remain gluten-free.

Thanks a million for posting this! It was a mystery that had me sick for several days and completely discouraged and baffled.

And, the Orgran crackers are in the trash.... ;) they weren't that tasty anyway. :P

Looking for answers Contributor

Yes, I get this too. I also get it with dairy items though. Have you considered a secondary intolerance or food allergy?

Marlie Apprentice

We're eating gluten free for our teen, and last night my husband ordered veal piccata. He hasn't eaten any wheat for two months and his throat became very sore and his nose completely congested. Anyway he won't be doing that again.

cassP Contributor

i never had the burning- but wheat & gluten & SUGAR always make me feel like im about to be getting a sore throat. wheat always gave me post nasal drip... (always congested me more than dairy)... and sugar always gave me that "im getting sick" feeling... many times i would be like: am i REALLY getting sick? or is it just too much sugar?

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

Yes i also get a dry feeling in my nose and throat,lower back pain and tirednesss.I myself am strict gluten free but venturing out trying other brands as long as it dosen't have any gluten ingridients its safe to eat.At first i was worried about eating this n that and if it didnt say gluten free right on the package i wouldnt eat it. But i now am just following the diet guidlines if gluten isnt in the ingriedients you can have it, i also follow sanitary guidlines to try to prevent cc.But i def dont worry about cc as much as i used to im trying to enjoy life as much as possible and almost all of my stomach troubles have went totally away which is a GREAT THING!

adab8ca Enthusiast

ohmygosh!

i had a sore throat for months and a burning tongue and just realized right now that my tongue feels normal and my throat doesn't hurt!

i am just over 5 months gluten-free...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marz Enthusiast

Yes, I get this too. I also get it with dairy items though. Have you considered a secondary intolerance or food allergy?

I know I'm sensitive to dairy - in that if I eat a lot I'm going to feel a bit ill :P But if I eat small amounts of no-name brand ice cream I feel fine. It might also be the combination of lots of sugar + dairy, the Gino Ginelli was *very* rich.

Marz Enthusiast

I definitely tie it to the gluten.Even drinking club soda hurt going down. :blink: At times, I felt like it would close right up.

Yup, have had that feeling before :P

I ate ORGRAN animal crackers!!

I'm glad I helped solve the mystery for you! :D The biscuits for me was definitely not pleasant. Times like these I wish I had gluten test strips, so I could check it, and send to them with a big angry letter of complaint. As it is, I'm just guessing, but my gut tells me I'm right ;)

And, the Orgran crackers are in the trash.... ;) they weren't that tasty anyway. :P

Hehe, they aren't that great and they cost a fortune! :P Strangely enough, the Orgran gluten-free flour (white flour) seems to be ok - I've made biscuits from them before and I was fine. What ingredients do those crackers have - does it include Sorghum or pea flour? I think their plain rice/corn/potato starch flour mix is OK, but the other flours might have small amounts of CC from when it's originally harvested/milled.

Marz Enthusiast

wheat always gave me post nasal drip... (always congested me more than dairy)...

Both my dad and I suffer from post nasal drip. It's become a *lot* better gluten-free. I also used to get that "I'm getting sick" feeling from eating lots of chocolate, but it might have been gluten-containing chocolate, so maybe the dairy + gluten combination was killing me. I used to think the post nasal drip was worse after eating dairy, but now it seems to be fine after 6 months gluten-free :)

ohmygosh!

i had a sore throat for months and a burning tongue and just realized right now that my tongue feels normal and my throat doesn't hurt!

Nice!! I used to get frequent "throat infections", sinus infections, mild sore throats with no explanation. I also didn't realise they were gone until now when I noticed the sudden sore throat.

Thanks for all the responses! :)

T.H. Community Regular

Times like these I wish I had gluten test strips, so I could check it, and send to them with a big angry letter of complaint. As it is, I'm just guessing, but my gut tells me I'm right ;)

I keep meaning to buy them now, too.

Open Original Shared Link

Wish they were cheaper!

IrishHeart Veteran

Yes! I had the IgG food panel done last year. Showed SOY as "severe". That was the only food that registered as a problem. I do not eat any dairy either as my doctor suggested I remove it when I went gluten-free.

If something else is bothering me, I'll be darned if I can figure it out. Some have suggested I wait a while as I am only gluten-free 5 weeks and see what resolves in time. I don't know. I am tired of feeling sick and in a "histamine"- type response all the time. I had ELISA testing and environmental allergy testing...NEGATIVE for everything! so, I am very confused by this continued ill feeling.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

IrishHeart Veteran

ohmygosh!

i am just over 5 months gluten-free...

WOW!! that's great!!THIS GIVES ME enormous HOPE!! Thank you for sharing this. mY mouth, tongue and throat have been burning since July '09 and it makes me cry.

Every time I read a post by someone on here who had my symptoms and they WENT AWAY, I am encouraged more and more...!! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

What ingredients do those ORGRAN crackers have - does it include Sorghum or pea flour?

I don't know. I got so mad, I threw out the package :lol:

Archived