This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Good Of Being Gluten-Free

majones

majones Newbie

Not being able to eat gluten kinda sucks. Having to take a lactate pill every time I want dairy sucks too. But doing all this has benefits. What are yours? Let's take a look at this from a "glass if half full" perspective... because it can't be all that bad.

I'll start.

First off, I'm eating all natural foods. Just doing this has made me "cleaner". I use to eat healthy anyway but now I'm more healthy and it's honestly a lot of fun to make all the food I eat. I always know what's going in me.

Second thing.... I FEEL BETTER. No more depression, anxiety, stomach pains, intestinal issues... nothing. I feel NORMAL for the first time in my life. I can remember things and my mind feels like my own. No more fogginess!

Third, I'm trying new things. I'd never shopped at places like Whole Foods or Hyvee frequently before but now I do and there are a lot of new foods out there I never thought of trying. Plus, who knew so many varieties of rice existed?!

Fourth of all, because I can't have gluten, when people offer me food, I have to decline. This plus the lack of being able to eat cookies and desserts at work adds to a much healthier and slimmer me.

So what about you? What are your benefits to the gluten-free (or other allergen-free) diet??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

Often being gluten- and soy-free forces me to buy organic. For example, finding canned tuna without soy broth is impossible! Except the organic/sustainably-caught whatever stuff with low mercury-content and no preservatives except salt... Also organic or "natural" nut butters with no soy oil (although a lot are soy contaminated :angry: ).

And yeah, it makes me cook for myself and think about my health. No more poptarts for meals, or candy bars (they all have soy <_<; although I get Skittles sometimes) at school. I try to get my protein and good fats in. More veg (even if I don't eat it as much as I SHOULD it's more than I was) and fresh fruits. And I'm taking vitamins now to make sure that I get all I need in the day.

And I feel real HUNGER like I haven't felt in over a year. My stomach is actually emptying out and asking me for more food. After forcing myself to eat for so long in order not to starve, feeling truly hungry is such a blessed feeling. Also, having whole days with no acid reflux, with more energy and less of a headache... my healing is a lot of ups and downs, feeling good one day, headachey and fatigued another, and it's hard because I feel good then bad then good then bad so I'm not "used" to feeling bad 24/7 anymore---but it's such a good sign! Even if it makes the slumps harder to handle.

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

... my healing is a lot of ups and downs, feeling good one day, headachey and fatigued another, and it's hard because I feel good then bad then good then bad so I'm not "used" to feeling bad 24/7 anymore---but it's such a good sign! Even if it makes the slumps harder to handle.

I'm right there with you on this. Now that I don't feel bad all the time feeling bad is much more frustrating than it was.

I feel so much better it's amazing. For years I thought my health issues were age and would only get worse. Since going gluten free my arthritis is gone, I only get migraines when I accidentally ingest gluten, no more brain fog, I can remember what I'm doing while I'm doing it, my night vision and I honestly believe my regular vision has improved, PMS is much less painful, I've lost all the bloat and excess weight I had gained, I could keep typing this list all day. :) I'm eating healthier than I've ever eaten in my life. I've never eaten a lot of fruit and veg until now. I ate fresh blueberries and strawberries for the first time ever last Sunday. I also ate asparagus for the first time. I'm trying new things and learning a lot. :D

Igg postive Rookie

Not being able to eat gluten kinda sucks. Having to take a lactate pill every time I want dairy sucks too. But doing all this has benefits. What are yours? Let's take a look at this from a "glass if half full" perspective... because it can't be all that bad.

I'll start.

First off, I'm eating all natural foods. Just doing this has made me "cleaner". I use to eat healthy anyway but now I'm more healthy and it's honestly a lot of fun to make all the food I eat. I always know what's going in me.

Second thing.... I FEEL BETTER. No more depression, anxiety, stomach pains, intestinal issues... nothing. I feel NORMAL for the first time in my life. I can remember things and my mind feels like my own. No more fogginess!

Third, I'm trying new things. I'd never shopped at places like Whole Foods or Hyvee frequently before but now I do and there are a lot of new foods out there I never thought of trying. Plus, who knew so many varieties of rice existed?!

Fourth of all, because I can't have gluten, when people offer me food, I have to decline. This plus the lack of being able to eat cookies and desserts at work adds to a much healthier and slimmer me.

So what about you? What are your benefits to the gluten-free (or other allergen-free) diet??

Since I have been on the gluten-free diet I have had less pain, indigestion and better BM movements. I am early on the diet and have ups and downs I have notice that I am still having bloating and pain around where my gallbladder use to be. It does take time for the symptoms to reverse. I keep telling myself this but sometimes I have doubts. That where you positive post helps. I have to keep the

hnybny91 Rookie

I no longer feel like I am dying and for the first time in years I have a daily bowel movement. I no longer have depression and I can keep going all day without having to lay down after even just walking upstairs. It has been really hard since I discovered I also can't eat any dairy or eggs, fish and yeast but I will gladly give them up to feel like a normal person again :)

aeraen Apprentice

I can't say that there is really anything GOOD about Celiac. But, I can say that Celiac is a better alternative than what it COULD be. I know someone who's infant was tested for all sorts of horrible diseases before they finally figured out she had celiac. Needless to say, by that time they were thrilled with the diagnosis. THAT, they could work with.

Like Fire Fairy, I just thought that my aching muscles were the result of arthritis, getting older and (in my case,only) being fat. The muscle pain is gone now, I'm finally getting the value out of my food, and I drive my active and fit husband crazy wanting to take longer and longer walks.

I have a wonderful DH and, although we have always enjoyed cooking together, this new challenge has send us in some new culinary directions we would never have contemplated before.

So, while I don't think celiac is all that great of shakes, I do feel that finding a way to eat that eliminates my health issues IS wonderful. Like the family I mentioned earlier... I can DEAL with this!

nerdolicious Rookie

I actually feel like having Celiac is a blessing in disguise for me. I was diagnosed just over 9 months ago and I am 24 years old. My whole life I have never paid any attention to nutrition and was always eating junk food or fast food. Now, I have done a ton of research on healthy eating and learned how to cook. Having Celiac has given me a reason to take care of my body and I am sure in the long run I will be healthier than if I would have never had it. I get glutened occasionally and I'm not going to lie, it really sucks, but I have accepted the fact that it may happen sometimes. My symptoms are like clockwork, so I can work around them and get anything accomplished that I need to. For a long time I felt sorry for myself and was so angry that this happened to me, but I chose to stop feeling that way and think on the positive side of things. Yeah, I missed processed and fried foods for awhile and it was quite the adjustment. Now I don't remember what fast food or junky food tastes like so I no longer crave it. I feel like after eliminating those foods that natural foods have more flavor and I actually enjoy eating a lot more than I used to!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zimmer Rookie

The best part is the healthful eating. I've always eaten healthfully, but with lots of lapses, especially for the sake of convenience. Like yesterday - doing errands with family, didn't go to the grocery store so not much at home to eat - before we probably would've gotten a pizza or something.

But not now - and honestly I had a few tears of frustration because of having to go shopping totally starving, with a hungry family, wondering what to fix that would be fast & easy. I ended up with shrimp & asparagus - thaw the shrimp in a few minutes in cold water; nuke the fresh asparagus for about 3 minutes - and it was delicious. That took the hunger edge off, and then for dessert I made yogurt parfaits with blackberries & peaches & gluten-free granola.

At the end of it all, I was glad for the celiac, because it MADE me feed me and my family a healthful dinner. The "my family" part is key - because their health will improve also with the better diet, and my children will learn good eating habits (our house is now gluten-free except for school lunch sandwich bread).

Thanks for the thread - I've been trying to focus on the positive and it feels good to talk about it! I'm an eternal optimist..... :)

Jenn624 Rookie

I am happier.

I feel so much better, that I smile more.

I don't run to the bathroom after a meal.

To me, it's all good!

Jenn

BaldurBen Newbie

Apart from feeling better and healthier overall, one very welcome benefit was the loss of about 15 pounds, right from the love handles/beer belt region. I used to love my beer, especially Newcastle Brown Ale, but since giving all that up I've gotten back down to my college weight, which is phenomenal. I'm now able to use several favorite pants again after having them in storage for years. B)

ciavyn Contributor

I concur. I used to cry in frustration over my addition to sweets and over-eating bread. But since going gluten-free, I can't have those things that used to trip me up. In many ways, this gluten free "thing" had saved me from some of my worst experiences: smelling bread/rolls/pastries -- unable to resist, I purchase just one, and swallow it so quickly, I barely taste it. I don't have that with gluten free foods, because most of the cravings are gone. In addition, because it's forced me to focus on eating better, I've investigated eating plans that not only are more in line with what our bodies were made to digest, but that also leave me leaner and more focused on being healthy. I love it. <3

Archived