This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To gluten-free And Worried About Calories!

jo-marnes

jo-marnes Rookie

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have some gluten-free bread recipes that aren't high in calories? My 'normal' bread was around 120 cals per slice, yet gluten-free ones seem much higher than that. I don't eat a lot of bread anyway, but want to have it when I fancy it!

Also, cereal. Oh my God. I am struggling with breakfast time! Rice porridge is ok. But not for the rest of my life! Don't even get me started on the gluten-free muesli... yuk. I workout a lot so I need something that will fill me up, so rice pops/ krispies are out. I'd love to have cooked breakfast, but I have 3 boys under 7 to get ready for school/ kindy etc in the mornings - I don't have time to cook unless it's super quick. Suggestions please!

Also, can you get gluten-free sweet chilli sauce??

Thanks,

Jo xx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb2178 Enthusiast

I've pretty much just given up bread. I've made it once or twice, but honestly, the crackers are better and it would be very easy to just portion out fewer of them.

Breakfast:

corn tortilla w/ cheese/meat/beans: 1 minute in the microwave

quick cooking kasha or cream of buckwheat with nuts/fruit/milk or faux milk: soak overnight and you just pop it into the mircrowave for 2 minutes

homemade muffins or waffles are easier to make higher in protein and lower in sugar and freeze well

muffin tin crustless quiches (aka frittatas), also freeze fine if you don't use white potatoes

I really like eating leftovers. I'm pretty happy to finish off last night's soup or salad for breakfast when I have leftovers.

sb2178 Enthusiast

My concerns with bread are less just the calories per se than the lack of nutrients in the bread.

nerdolicious Rookie

For cereal, try out the brand Nature's Path. The crunchy vanilla and crunchy maple flavors are delicious! Open Original Shared Link

busymomof5 Newbie

I really like Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. It does take a few minutes to cook. One serving is only 150 calories, with 4 grams each of protein and fiber.

GlutenGladi8or Apprentice

I workout a lot so I need something that will fill me up,

I don't have time to cook unless it's super quick. Suggestions please!

Anything with protein is a good way to fill yourself up in the morning and add some anti-oxidant berries (blueberries or blackberries). If you opt for all natural or Greek yogurt (low fat or non fat), you'll get 20grams of protein per serving AND the antioxidants from the fruit.

It should take you 20 seconds to dollop a large spoonful into a bowl, another 20 seconds to add blueberries, and another 10 seconds to put everything away.

This should keep you full for a few hours.

ciavyn Contributor

If you workout, you should get more of a mix of protein and carbs in the morning. Check out Hungry Girl's breakfast egg cups (google her) and other ideas. Also, Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free oatmeal is pretty awesome cooked up. 10 minutes, and you don't have to stand there and watch it, or 2 minutes in the microwave.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have some gluten-free bread recipes that aren't high in calories? My 'normal' bread was around 120 cals per slice, yet gluten-free ones seem much higher than that. I don't eat a lot of bread anyway, but want to have it when I fancy it!

Also, cereal. Oh my God. I am struggling with breakfast time! Rice porridge is ok. But not for the rest of my life! Don't even get me started on the gluten-free muesli... yuk. I workout a lot so I need something that will fill me up, so rice pops/ krispies are out. I'd love to have cooked breakfast, but I have 3 boys under 7 to get ready for school/ kindy etc in the mornings - I don't have time to cook unless it's super quick. Suggestions please!

Also, can you get gluten-free sweet chilli sauce??

Thanks,

Jo xx

I have to be out the door by 6a.m. on weekdays. To make grabbing something easier I boil eggs the night before or several at a time to keep on hand. I toss the egg yolks. I also cook extra chicken to have on hand. To go along with this, I have extra fruit on hand or cut up in individual containers.

I have to be out the door by 6a.m. on weekdays. To make grabbing something easier I boil eggs the night before or several at a time to keep on hand. I toss the egg yolks. I also cook extra chicken to have on hand. To go along with this, I have extra fruit on hand or cut up in individual containers.

I love your thinking. It's been decades since I have been a Boy Scout, but the motto was "Be Prepared". When you think about your meals beforehand, it's makes nutritious meals/snacks easier and less stressful as well. The above is brilliant! And what a great medley of fruit, carbs, and healthy/lean protein.

(PS - How Nerdy am I that I have a flight this evening for a business trip and pre-boiled a dozen eggs to have in my hotel room? :blink: )

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I love your thinking. It's been decades since I have been a Boy Scout, but the motto was "Be Prepared". When you think about your meals beforehand, it's makes nutritious meals/snacks easier and less stressful as well. The above is brilliant! And what a great medley of fruit, carbs, and healthy/lean protein.

(PS - How Nerdy am I that I have a flight this evening for a business trip and pre-boiled a dozen eggs to have in my hotel room? :blink: )

I don't know if I would use the word brillant, but thanks :) I was once at work with nothing to eat for breakfast because I was running late. By lunch, I was starving! I'm dertermined that won't happen again. So, I cook extra for dinner everyday. I prep and pack everything up so it's easy to grab. I eat whole foods and do a lot of cooking. I like to eat a protien for breakfast and a good portion for lunch. I'm not as hungry in the afternoon and I'm not tempted to eat something full of sugar or fat. I love to grill thin cut chicken breast plain or with herbs. Slice it up, bag it and it's great for any meal or snack!

domesticactivist Collaborator

Rather than focusing on being low-calorie, I like to focus on being nutrient-dense. We also are completely grain-free and have a very high-veggie, high-protein and high-saturated fat diet which helps with fullness and energy AND weight management.

I've never been obese but in the past few years had accepted that my body was just going to be about 20 lbs more than it used to be. A couple months into our new way of eating I realized I'd dropped 15 lbs and I'm now maintaining that without thinking about calories at all.

Rather than trying to replace breakfast cereals, we just changed what breakfast means around here. Eggs are a good one, but we're just as likely to have beef stew for breakfast!

A favorite with the kids are GAPS-legal souflees we came up with. They're a lot like the Dutch Babies we used to enjoy. Like them, you can bake apples or other fruit in if you like :) Obviously, to use this recipe you need to have already baked some Open Original Shared Link, made some nut butter (there is a recipe on the same site), and clarified some butter (though butter works just as well - we just like to remove the casein)

Serves 4

1/4 c nut butter

1 c winter squash, cooked

8 eggs

4 T ghee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1 T ghee in each of four 1.5 c (or larger) oven safe dishes (mugs work well) and place in oven to melt. Blend nut butter and winter squash. Add eggs and mix well. Fill each dish no more than halfway with egg mixture. Bake 30 minutes, until puffy and cooked through. Serve immediately with honey and yogurt.

We also sometimes make pancakes out of the same basic ingredients.

Rather than focusing on being low-calorie, I like to focus on being nutrient-dense. We also are completely grain-free and have a very high-veggie, high-protein and high-saturated fat diet which helps with fullness and energy AND weight management.

Spot on advice! And your recipe is already printed off and I'm ready to make it this weekend. Thank you for sharing.

I love to grill thin cut chicken breast plain or with herbs. Slice it up, bag it and it's great for any meal or snack!

Try grilling a whole beef flank steak (trimmed of all fat) the night before on the grill. Use a dash of Montreal Steak Seasoning (it's gluten free). Once it's grilled, cut it into strips and refrigerate. The next day you'll have finger food or even something for a salad.

Don't get me wrong... I like chicken strips as a snack, but beef flank steak (cold) is a step above in my mind.

jo-marnes Rookie

Thanks for the replies.

Endoscopy today revealed fissures and scarring, although official results next week.

I don't think I'll ever get my head around beef stew for breakfast, LOL!! I will have to come up with some preprepared foods I guess... something I can freeze/ zap in the microwave. Fruit and yoghurt is ok, but not in winter. I'm not a big fan of eggs... I can eat them occasionally but only poached - a boiled egg is my idea of a nightmare LOL. Rice porridge it is until I figure something out.

domesticactivist Collaborator

I'm sorry your test results show damage - but YAY for knowing what the problem is, right? It sounds like you want something warm, sweet and mushy for breakfast :) We've cut all grains and grain like things, but if you are not doing that you might like buckwheat porridge. Make sure you soak it and rinse it before cooking.

I should mention for the recipe above that our eggs are medium sized, not the big ones!

cyberprof Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

Endoscopy today revealed fissures and scarring, although official results next week.

I don't think I'll ever get my head around beef stew for breakfast, LOL!! I will have to come up with some preprepared foods I guess... something I can freeze/ zap in the microwave. Fruit and yoghurt is ok, but not in winter. I'm not a big fan of eggs... I can eat them occasionally but only poached - a boiled egg is my idea of a nightmare LOL. Rice porridge it is until I figure something out.

Ok, I didn't notice that you wanted low cal, and not liking eggs is hard. How about a fritta made ahead. Leftover rice, eggs, veggies maybe some cheese. You can use some egg whites to lower the calorie count. Make ahead, put in individual servings.

Let me know if you want a recepie.

• 4 weeks later...
BurningItOff Newbie

OHHH Let me share with you my favoriate thing in the world!

2 eggs

4 egg whites

2 packets of truvia

Tons of cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract

Cook that like normal eggs and OMG! This keeps me full for hours in the morning.

You should see what I used to eat for breakfast. Ug! No wonder I've lost 65lbs already :)

I don't think I'll ever get my head around beef stew for breakfast, LOL!!

Have you tried chicken sausages for breakfast? Yes, I know they look like bratwurst and you would equate that with lunch, dinner, or a grill out. But, they have less than 10 grams of fat per BIG link, are gluten free, pre-cooked, and high in protein. If you buy the ones at Sam's Club, Costco or Trader Joe's they are even all natural.

Here's the trick in the morning. Pan sear them covered in a skillet on medium heat in about 1/8" of water for about 8 minutes (turning every 2 minutes). Take the lid off and let the water evaporate. Once all of the water is gone, add a table spoon of EVOO and turn the heat to medium/high. This browns them after the internal temperature has been heated).

Eat at breakfast with a knife and fork. I have one nearly every morning.

• 5 weeks later...
GlutenBurns Newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a big fan of Arrowhead Mill's Maple Buckwheat cereal - delicious and filling. I mostly eliminated gluten-free bread because of the high calories, though I'm a big fan of Udi's packaged (not frozen) bread and it's not too high in calories. Also, Trader Joe's makes some very tasty gluten-free english muffins (toasted with a little Parmesan cheese, which is low cal, is awesome in the morning) and gluten-free french rolls. Also, kinnikinnick's gluten-free muffins in the freezer are amazing. I love their carrot muffins. 30 seconds in the microwave and they're warm, perfect for the winter mornings and only 170 calories. Way fewer calories than most non-gluten-free muffins. They also have chocolate chip and blueberry.

GlutenBurns Newbie

Have you tried chicken sausages for breakfast? Yes, I know they look like bratwurst and you would equate that with lunch, dinner, or a grill out. But, they have less than 10 grams of fat per BIG link, are gluten free, pre-cooked, and high in protein. If you buy the ones at Sam's Club, Costco or Trader Joe's they are even all natural.

Here's the trick in the morning. Pan sear them covered in a skillet on medium heat in about 1/8" of water for about 8 minutes (turning every 2 minutes). Take the lid off and let the water evaporate. Once all of the water is gone, add a table spoon of EVOO and turn the heat to medium/high. This browns them after the internal temperature has been heated).

Eat at breakfast with a knife and fork. I have one nearly every morning.

I love chicken sausage! I actually just pan-sear them without the oil, to save calories, and they're still delicious! Whole Foods has delicious Apple Gouda sausages and the Al Fresco brand is also good.

Archived