#1 Poppi

Poppi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:34 AM

Posted Image

So now we have 11 mouths to feed in our house. With some love and care though these little girls will be feeding us eggs next year. I can't wait! For now the kids are all thrilled to have 4 chickens living in the kitchen. I have to admit they are cute. The lady at the farm supply store looked at me like I was a crazy person when I asked if there was gluten free chick feed. I don't allow gluten foods in the upstairs kitchen where the chicks live though so it really was a reasonable question. :lol:

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

Sooo cute! Do they have names?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

Cute! Play with them as much as possible so they'll enjoy tolerate being played with when they're grown.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

They get played with a lot ... maybe even too much.

They do have names. Our 5 year old named one Chickie, our two older girls named one Fifi, I named one Bennie (mmmmm... eggs bennie) and our 15 year old son named one Killbot. Teenage boys are so weird. :blink:

Sara

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

#5 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

So cute! Killbot eh? My brother had a dog named CK. CK stood for chicken killer. She earned her name. Dun duh duh.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:43 AM

Looks like two of them are Rhode Island reds??? They are so sweet :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Looks like two of them are Rhode Island reds??? They are so sweet :D

Yup, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are 9 days old today and already escaping from the bin we have them in. Oh dear.

Chicken Killer is a good dog name. We had a rabbit named Stew who got eaten by a cougar but my Dad always threatened to have Rabbit Stew for dinner one night.

Sara

#8 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Those names sound a little 'prophetic'.... keep an eye on Killbot :blink: :o
Anemia and IBS through my life
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
After 5 days - insides began to move
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#9 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Those names sound a little 'prophetic'.... keep an eye on Killbot :blink: :o

My son insists he is going to train him to focus his energy enough to shoot lasers from his eyes.

Sara

#10 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

Cute! I so wish I could have chickens. I currently rent and I don't think my landlord would take to kindly to it. :blink:

Maybe someday.... ;)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#11 Poppi

Poppi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Cute! I so wish I could have chickens. I currently rent and I don't think my landlord would take to kindly to it. :blink:

Maybe someday.... ;)

Someday! I've wanted chickens for years but we were renting and then there were a few years after we bought this house that my husband was living and working 2 hours away and we weren't sure if we were still going to be here long term. As soon as his long-awaited transfer came through and we knew we were going to be living here permanently we ordered our chicks. They are so sweet... a bit cranky right now with the molting and everything but cute and fun for the kids to watch.

Sara

#12 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Someday! I've wanted chickens for years but we were renting and then there were a few years after we bought this house that my husband was living and working 2 hours away and we weren't sure if we were still going to be here long term. As soon as his long-awaited transfer came through and we knew we were going to be living here permanently we ordered our chicks. They are so sweet... a bit cranky right now with the molting and everything but cute and fun for the kids to watch.

We're going to be looking at buying in the next year or two (as soon as my hubby has been well established at his job and we know it is where we are staying for sure). So I'm sure it will come sooner or later...one of my criteria for a house has always been a big yard so I can have a garden (I currently have a container garden on my patio) and room for "pets". I hope we can find a place that will let us have chickens in the back yard but it's just a dream right now...
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#13 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

My son insists he is going to train him to focus his energy enough to shoot lasers from his eyes.

:lol: :lol: Your son would totally get along with my son...
2005 Joint pain, exhaustion, general feeling of not being well 2006 Beginning of testing for everything but Celiac 2008 Bloating, more muscle stiffness, feeling sicker, more exhausted-testing 'normal' 2010 March insides begin to shut down, cough that won't go away 2010 June Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, biopsy - all show no problems
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant - went gluten free. Within 3 days feeling better.
Now - feel better than I have felt for 15 years (except when I gluten myself.. which I'm good at)

#14 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

:lol: :lol: Your son would totally get along with my son...

My boys could help yours build a robot chicken with laser beam eyes that lays chocolate eggs.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 etta694

etta694

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

My boys could help yours build a robot chicken with laser beam eyes that lays chocolate eggs.

This would be worth the trip to make it happen!!! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: