arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Would You Eat Gluten-Free Baked Items From A Shared Bakery

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Would You Eat Gluten-Free Baked Items From A Shared Bakery (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you eat a gluten free baked good made in a shared bakery?

1. Yes (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

2. No (14 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

3. Possibly, after inquiring about and reviewing their processes (9 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

9 replies to this topic

#1 Haylsinator

Haylsinator

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:59 AM

I'm just curious how many users would eat something that was made with gluten free ingredients if it was made in a bakery where they use wheat flour; We have a cupcakery around here with gluten-free options but they specialize in regular cupcakes.
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by blood test: late November 2008

Consciously Gluten Free starting end of November 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tennisman

tennisman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:22 AM

I did the other day :) But the place I got it from has been around for ages and seems to understand about CC and making sure the cakes are 100 % gluten-free :)
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

#3 Lima Bean

Lima Bean

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

Maybe. I guess i would ask them about how they are made. & like, look at how they store them in the store. like are they on the same tray with gluten ones. I went to a coffee shop with some gluten-free pastries but they are wrapped in clear plastic to keep them safe.

#4 rdunbar

rdunbar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:29 AM

i was a baker for 4 years and a chef for over 20.
every few days, in a bakery, a thick layer of flour grows on every surface that you can write your name in w/ your finger. every shelf collects a layer of flour from just the airborne flour that settles.
it's everywhere. every time someone scoops some flour into a mixer, or fills a bin with flour, poof, a huge cloud of flour fills the room, and settles everywhere. if you want to eat something from that environment, good luck to you.

#5 Racer_J

Racer_J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

Absolutely not and, I don't even have a diagnosis. I won't anything out of a shared kitchen where flour isn't used much less where it is used. The only shared kitchen I would even consider would be BJ's or Outback because of how stringent they are when it comes to the issue of Celiac. However, I have a huge can't/won't eat list so that pretty much rules them out as well.

In my opinion, a shared bakery is just begging for trouble. I don't know how there wouldn't be a cross contamination situation.
Gluten free since 08/??/2010 due to father being diagnosed Celiac

"Diagnosed" since 05/19/2011 via EnteroLab's $99.00 panel

Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

#6 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:18 AM

Never. I don't care how careful they think they are, it's like the one person here said -- a layer of flour just collects everywhere. Think about how it was the last time you used regular flour. I remember letting it "poof" into the bowl too hard and a cloud of flour dust would rise up into the air. Now multiply that by umpteen cupcakes/cakes/whatever else made in a commercial bakery.... no way! :ph34r:

#7 Katrala

Katrala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

What scares me about seeing bakeries having "gluten-free options" is that I'm scared the staff really only thinks that using gluten-free flour is what makes something gluten-free.

I was talking with someone last week who owns a restaurant and she herself is gluten intolerant. She said that while she tries to educate her staff when it comes to preparing food for people who request gluten-free, she knows that they aren't always as careful as they should be and have made mistakes.
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

#8 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

No way, no how. I can't even enter Panera Bread without getting sick. No way I would trust baked goods made in a shared kitchen.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#9 BurningItOff

BurningItOff

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

I did once and NEVER AGAIN!!

#10 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

There is one local bakery where I can eat. We speculate that there must be a family member with allergies because they are very allergy conscious. (They make limited gluten-free items and a variety of egg/dairy/nut free items.)

However, another shop gets me sick. I know based on their practices that I should not even try to eat their gluten-free cookies, but they also make fruit bars that are segragated. They must have that layer of flour floating around, though, because that was a bad idea.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: