This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Kind Of Oil/s Do You Cook With Most?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I was cooking/browning some hash browns tonight and it got me thinking about oils. I use vegetable or olive oil. Mostly vegetable oil though. Does anyone cook with canola or corn oils? Most recipes call for vegetable oil. Can the others be substituted?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I was cooking/browning some hash browns tonight and it got me thinking about oils. I use vegetable or olive oil. Mostly vegetable oil though. Does anyone cook with canola or corn oils? Most recipes call for vegetable oil. Can the others be substituted?

Canola oil is my go-to oil and I also like olive oil. For hash browns, I use canola oil. Does your vegetable oil contain soy?

GFreeMO Proficient

I use Wesson vegetable oil. Yes, it is soybean oil. Thats safe for us unless of course you have a soy allergy right?

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't go out of my way to use products with soy in them but I don't purposely avoid them either. As far as I know, I don't have a problem with soy but others do.

mushroom Proficient

I use grapeseed (high flash point) and olive oil, some coconut.

GFreeMO Proficient

I don't go out of my way to use products with soy in them but I don't purposely avoid them either. As far as I know, I don't have a problem with soy but others do.

Hmmm..Whats wrong with soy products for celiacs? As far as I know, they are safe for celiacs from a gluten standpoint. Several gluten free products that I use like Coffeemate creamer and Betty Crocker frosting and all Wishbone salad dressings all have soybean oil in them.

sa1937 Community Regular

Hmmm..Whats wrong with soy products for celiacs? As far as I know, they are safe for celiacs from a gluten standpoint. Several gluten free products that I use like Coffeemate creamer and Betty Crocker frosting and all Wishbone salad dressings all have soybean oil in them.

Yes it's safe as soy is gluten-free. But for some people, they get deathly ill from soy and therefore avoid it like the plague.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Well, a lot of us do have problems with soy apart from the gluten issue. But if you don't, digestively, have a problem with it then the only consideration would be if your thryoid was okay. Soy mimics hormonal action and can have a negative effect on your thyroid.

GFreeMO Proficient

oh wow..I had no idea!

sa1937 Community Regular

My daughter has a thyroid problem and pretty much avoids soy (she also has celiac).

cahill Collaborator

Currently ,I only use olive oil.

I had some issues with coconut oil during my elimination diet and have not tried to reintroduce it again.

I do not consume Soy in any form.

GFreeMO Proficient

Almost all of the gluten free cookies and cake mixes etc. have soy flour in them. I don't see any problem with soy at all. Unless of course you are allergic. I am allergic to nuts so I avoid that at all costs. Almond flour is out for me so soy milk and soy flour products work for me. We are all different. :)

Cypressmyst Explorer

Olive oil and the occasional coconut oil. :)

Soy is...well...do some research on it if you really want to know. In my opinion it isn't food, at least not the way we process it. It ends up being more like a chemical.

mushroom Proficient

Almost all of the gluten free cookies and cake mixes etc. have soy flour in them.

Ain't that the truth!!! Limits the field considerably. :P:(

GFreeMO Proficient

Jeez.....Didn't mean to start something regarding soy. Like I said, we are all different. Coconut makes me very sick as well as all nuts.

Soybean oil is widely used oil and is commonly called

cahill Collaborator

Jeez.....Didn't mean to start something regarding soy. Like I said, we are all different. Coconut makes me very sick as well as all nuts.

Soybean oil is widely used oil and is commonly called ‘vegetable oil’. Soybean oil is a very healthy food ingredient despite the bad publicity regarding fats and oils in general. Soybean oil is very popular because it is cheap, healthful and has a high smoke point. Soybean oil does not contain much saturated fat. Like all other oils from vegetable origin, soybean oil contains no cholesterol. Saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart diseases and mainly found in products from animal origin such as milk, cheese and meat products.

So I don't really know what you are talking about saying that soy oil is not a food. Sounds pretty healthy to me. It's not like we are sitting around drinking soybean oil or something. Everything, unless allergic, in moderation. Right?!

For some soy is not an issue, but for some of us (me) it is a very serious issue . We are all different :)

GFreeMO Proficient

Amen! lol...Now back to the topic....I honestly did not mean to start a debate! I was just wondering about cooking and which was best to fry stuff in!

cahill Collaborator

Amen! lol...Now back to the topic....I honestly did not mean to start a debate! I was just wondering about cooking and which was best to fry stuff in!

If you can tolerate coconut oil , it is the best,IMO :)

mushroom Proficient

And I prefer grapeseed for frying (although I think it was Riceguy said he didn't like the flavor - I don't find it has any flavor that it imparts).

Takala Enthusiast

I use extra virgin olive oil the most. B)

shadowicewolf Proficient

I just use olive oil (extra virgin), its the only one that doesn't bug me.

mbrookes Community Regular

If by frying you mean deep frying (think french fries, fish, chicken) I use peanut oil. It has a very high smoke point and no discernable taste. It also filters well for reuse.

Gremom7 Newbie

I, too, use grapeseed oil and olive oil. I use coconut oil as well, but don't prefer the taste as much. But I do love coconut oil in baking.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Soy will have consequences if you use it long term.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Just a few points to consider.

I used it for years. Now I have thyroid problems, nodules, Hashimoto's disease and a biopsy for cancer next week.

Soy oil has been well marketed because it is cheap and there was an overabundance of it so they had to do something with it. They decided to make profit from it instead of disposing of it as the toxic waste that it is.

You're right...we are all different, but I sure wish I had known about soy and the consequences of ingesting it years ago. just my two cents.

Coleslawcat Contributor

I use canola oil and extra virgin olive oil depending on the recipe. I use canola oil in baking recipes that call for oil and in cooking recipes where I don't want the olive oil taste. I use olive oil for the majority of my cooking. I never deep fry so I have no idea what a good oil for that would be.

Archived