Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Crohn's Disease And Gluten-Free Diets

• Please log in to reply

15 replies to this topic

#16 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

My mother had Crohn's disease, so I can't say I was totally surprised in 2008 when I was diagnosed with it as well after a colonoscopy. We never heard of celiac, or gluten back then. I lived on pasta, cereal and sandwiches. I was given medication to treat the disease.
In 2010, after a stint of antibiotic-associated colitis, I had developed the greatest food fear of my life because I had gotten so sick from everything I consumed. I went to a nutritionist.
She said I was gluten and dairy intolerant. I thought she was nuts, but in my desperation, I followed a gluten-free DF diet for one month before returning to her. In that time I was convinced - I had lost five pounds and symptoms overall were decreasing.
I have been gluten-free and DF ever since. In 2011, when I had my follow up colonoscopy, my doctor said the evidence of early stages Crohn's was gone. He would not credit the diet, but admitted that there was no way the medication could have reversed the effects.
I don't know if I have celiac and I was misdiagnosed. What's worse, is that I will never know if this diet could have helped my mother in all her years of suffering (she passed away in 2006).

It's good to hear the gluten-free diet is helping you Riverand. You might want to look at going soy-free also. Soy is one of the top 8 food allergens and is a problem for some celiacs. Isn't it great they put it in baby formula?

http://www.scienceda...41219153340.htm

Research Studies Effects Of Soy Baby Formula On Intestinal Development

Dec. 27, 2004 — URBANA, Ill. -- Two studies by University of Illinois food science and human nutrition professor Sharon Donovan show that the soy isoflavone genistein, in amounts present in commercial soy infant formulas, may inhibit intestinal cell growth in babies. So what are we to think about soy in a baby's diet?
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: