14 replies to this topic

#1 silk

silk

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

Has anyone else tried Trader Joe's gluten-free Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies? They were recommended to me by an employee who does not have gluten issues but said he buys them because they taste so great. And they do! I am not a cookie fan at all but bought some for my daughter to try and I decided to taste them too. OMG! They taste as good as the real deal. I told my husband I don't think you could eat the regular cookie and this one and taste a difference. Even the texture is good and we all know that oftentimes it's the texture of the baked goods that give the gluten-free content it's reputation as being nasty. And at $2.69 a dozen, I did not think the price was so terrible either. BTW, their chewy, moist gluten-free snickerdoodles are good too.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Wow. Didn't know they had gluten-free cookies!

I have had mixed reactions from tj processed stuff. Maybe I'll work up nerve to try them.

I have great luck with the creme brle cups in chocolate. Yummy!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 silk

silk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Wow. Didn't know they had gluten-free cookies!

I have had mixed reactions from tj processed stuff. Maybe I'll work up nerve to try them.

I have great luck with the creme brle cups in chocolate. Yummy!

Chocolate creme brulee cups? Hmmmmmm....that sounds pretty tasty. Will give those a try! Thanks for the tip.

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

Yes, I like the chocolate creme brule cups, too! I haven't seen those particular cookies at my local TJ's, but I've tried their wonderful tasting gingersnap cookies. Unfortunately, though, they glutened me twice (yeah, I thought I'd try another bag, hoping that it had been something else that had glutened me). So...I got glutened twice out of four bags. That's a very bad batting average.

However, different manufacturers are involved with the products at TJs, and perhaps the maker of the cookies you like are a lot more careful than the makers of the gingersnap cookies. I'm only providing this info to warn everyone about TJ's gluten-free gingersnaps.

#5 silk

silk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

Yes, I like the chocolate creme brule cups, too! I haven't seen those particular cookies at my local TJ's, but I've tried their wonderful tasting gingersnap cookies. Unfortunately, though, they glutened me twice (yeah, I thought I'd try another bag, hoping that it had been something else that had glutened me). So...I got glutened twice out of four bags. That's a very bad batting average.

However, different manufacturers are involved with the products at TJs, and perhaps the maker of the cookies you like are a lot more careful than the makers of the gingersnap cookies. I'm only providing this info to warn everyone about TJ's gluten-free gingersnaps.

If you check out my post from yesterday regarding the CC issue at local grocery store under the 'coping with' thread, you might consider that the CC may have happened on the package rather that in it. I did notice that the gluten-free cookies at TJ's are all place together with toxic products right next to them.

That is one issue that I have with TJ's.They don't have a dedicated section for their gluten-free products, which makes it harder to find them and more difficult to trust in them as being safe. Hmmmmmmm...I think I feel another e-mail coming on......

#6 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

Is trader joe's expensive in general? We do not have any here in FL but they are building one 2 hrs away in Naples <_<

#7 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

Yes, I found your posting on cc very interesting. It's possible that the bags of gluten-free cookies have somehow touched products containing gluten. These particular cookies can be found at my local TJ's above the freezer and next to the chocolates and nuts, and I believe they do this to keep them separated from gluten-containing products (but, then, who knows their true purpose in doing so?).

#8 silk

silk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Yes, I found your posting on cc very interesting. It's possible that the bags of gluten-free cookies have somehow touched products containing gluten. These particular cookies can be found at my local TJ's above the freezer and next to the chocolates and nuts, and I believe they do this to keep them separated from gluten-containing products (but, then, who knows their true purpose in doing so?).

Ours are in the same place but there were toxic products right along with them. I had to very carefully read the packaging to find the little 'g' symbol for gluten free. When I am in a hurry, I don't have the time to sift through all of the merchandise to find things that are safe for me to eat so I don't shop at TJ's very often. Also, while they may be placed next to the chocolates, etc, that does not mean that they were shipped with the chocolates and other gluten-free stuff. Besides, it's almost always really busy and the aisles are narrow so I don't feel like I can take the time I want to read the labels carefully. It reminds me of a 70's bodega or little corner market. They have nice things, I just want a little more space and time to look them over. :rolleyes:

#9 giggleburger

giggleburger

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Is trader joe's expensive in general? We do not have any here in FL but they are building one 2 hrs away in Naples <_<

In general it's cheaper than a lot of natural food places. But it truly depends on what your buying, some items are better priced than others. But overall, good prices.

#10 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:42 AM

Lol. I just posted yesterday about these cookies. Without reading down the rest of the board. :P Sorry about that. I was just SO excited to find these cookies because they are so good. :)

#11 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

In general it's cheaper than a lot of natural food places. But it truly depends on what your buying, some items are better priced than others. But overall, good prices.

TJ's has great prices in Indy. Love that store.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#12 GF_Noob

GF_Noob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

I tried these yesterday and was extremely sick this morning. I didn't eat anything new yesterday, so I'm thinking it must be the cookies. Anyone else get sick from these?!

#13 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

I actually tried both last week. As far as I can tell, all was ok.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#14 amy8877

amy8877

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Just wanted to mention that I got glutened by these cookies. as soon as I ate one my tongue and lips got numb, sharp headache, warm all over, floating feeling, gurgly stomach, and diarhea. yup..glutened. 

#15 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Just wanted to mention that I got glutened by these cookies. as soon as I ate one my tongue and lips got numb, sharp headache, warm all over, floating feeling, gurgly stomach, and diarhea. yup..glutened. 

The numbness sounds more like an allergy :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: