5 replies to this topic

#1 BarryC

BarryC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yesterday I had some chicken that I was told by the hostess had no gluten in the coating. My wife told me later she checked the box and wheat flour was an ingrediant. I did fel a mild reaction but next day felt great. I wonder if my system has healed to the point it can fight off the gluten to a point? Not that I can go back of course.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Pauliewog

Pauliewog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

In my case I intentionally ate gluten as a challenge. The following day I had a mild headache and thought I was in the clear. HOWEVER, 4 days after the gluten I began vomiting and did so for an entire day. I only ate gluten one day and really thought I was ok. It seems everyone is different and I hope you don't have any kind of delayed reaction like I did.

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hmm, depends on what you mean by fight-off Barry. Actually that is a good description of what happens, the antibodies to gluten attack it along with your intestines. If you mean it is being ignored the answer is. (drum roll here), no. You had some symptoms and that means something is going on right? Your gut may not be as inflamed and irritated right now but that doesn't mean it wont go back to being inflamed and irritated. Mild symptoms are not a good indicator of damage. Some people have no symptoms at all and they still have damage to their intestines. That condition is called silent celiac.

You'll get better at not trusting people after a while. most people don't even know what gluten is, let alone where it is found. So trusting people who say that a food gluten-free is taking a risk, unless you can verify their knowledge. You can find answers to many of those product type questions by doing a search on this forum. The same thing applies to products in a grocery store, you can't safely assume anything is a gluten-free product. You need to read the label every time to check ingredients.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

I had an experience where I ate gluten (like you completely by accident, served it after being told by the waitress that the chef would leave it out of a dish) and my reaction was very different. I did not have an immune reaction to the gluten. Instead, my body treated it as a toxin and worked to expel it (yes, bad diarrhea for the next four hours, but then nothing). This was after 1 and 1/2 years of being off of gluten and another year of being treated with acupuncture. Relating my experience on the board caused a lot of controversy, but I believe that my system has healed significantly and now processes gluten differently. That said, I am still as-strict-as-possible gluten-free. I wouldn't risk my health, when I know gluten is stressful for my body.

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

For me my reactions do correlate to how much I ingest. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you probably just got lucky that your symptoms were not severe. It does sound by your post that you did have some reaction though.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

It was just 2 weeks ago or less that you were still eating and drinking gluten so I doubt you are healed. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones & your reactions will not be too bad. That doesn't mean it is OK to keep eating breaded chicken and drinking beer. Even if you don't feel too bad, you are still damaging yourself.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: