20 replies to this topic

#16 alwaysafter8

alwaysafter8

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

I am thinking about trying this out. I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid, but it seems like any grain I eat I react to (pregnant-esque bloat, gurgly stomach..). I believe I have a leaky gut & I'd rather go grain-free now than develop more food intolerances.. hard though, because I am such a carb/baked goods kinda girl. Well, I was, I guess.

Glad to hear we can use coconut & nut flours! Guess I'm going to have to get back into baking.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Coryad

Coryad

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

I too am going to try grain free. I have been gluten free for about 6 months now. I was doing very well but tended to lean on rice and corn. I've started feeling horrible again... fatigued, major D, achy joints, eyesight going wonky... So after doing some reading I'm beginning to suspect I need to just stay away from all grains. I'm so tired of being tired :D

Cory
Cory

Diagnosed Celiac 4/12 due to DH
Eliminated food molds 1/12

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

I have been grain free about 6 months. I did go through withdrawl symptoms all over again after going from classic gluten free to grain free. I am enjoying the food I eat. I use buckwheat and bean flours besides what you mention above. I hope it will help you. I am going with the idea that I should cut out as much suspicious things as possible at first. I hope to get some back later.

#19 hanumandrea

hanumandrea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I've been grain/dairy/legumes/sugar/alcohol free too. Felt really great and was never hungry. But sfter losing 14kg/30lbs, I had to stop, can't afford to lose any more weight.

Does anyone know a way to be on this diet and not lose weight? I really would love to go back on it.

Hi there, I lost weight too (20lbs in 4 months) on the paleo diet. Bananas were about the only thing that helped (large amounts of sesame oil, bacon, etc had no effect on my weight). After about 6 months I slowly added in some dairy (ice cream is suppsed to be more easily digestible, for some reason), potatoes, and finally gluten free grains. I think being off that stuff let my body heal so it could absorb it again. Cultured butter might be useful - not paleo but easy to digest.
Major symptoms: food sensitivities, hypoglycemia, muscle weakness
Celiac disease diagnosed (endoscopy) March 14, 2011
Gluten free Feb. 18, 2011, eczema stopped
Food sensitivities worsened December 2010
Fall 2010: applied kinesiology revealed wheat-soy-peanut-dairy allergy
Osteoporosis 2008 (age 27)
No periods 2005-2008
Eczema since age 12

#20 RuskitD

RuskitD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

If I may update? I posted in June. I have been gluten-free since early February 2012, grain free since March. I have not been accidently glutened onceI But by corn, yes, many times. I also gain about 10 lbs (of fluid and inflammation) within a few days of corn exposure (and it can be as teeny of an amount as in a vitamin pill).

I hadn't lost weight in June, but since then, I have lost 34 lbs.
Grain free, dairy free.
I eat lots of coconut oil and eggs. I sometimes don't feel hungry, and I know I am way below the calories I should eat in a day, so I will add extra coconut oil to make up my calories.
It has seemed to work!
I just wanted to feel better, even though I needed to lose weight, I'd given up trying. Yet it just melted away. I am normal range body fat for the first time since I was 26! (I'm 51)
I won't ever even try to add them back to my diet. I see no need ....

#21 srall

srall

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

To the OP: I still need to read everyone's responses, but here are my reasons. I went paleo (grain free) because I knew I could still feel a little bit better. I've really learned to listen to my body as a result of being sick for so long, then healing myself with my diet. Personally I found that I do better with some white rice and white potatoes because very low carb was extremely hard on my body. But I know there are other ways to get carbs if that's an issue and you want to stay paleo. For me: arthritis=gone, I have more energy, NO stomach issues, clearer head. It took about 18 months to realize that I cannot handle any cereal grains. I just feel so much better now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: