Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Trapped Wind (Chest Pain) Constipation And Bloating?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 Kirstie

Kirstie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hey everyone,

I've been suffering from trapped wind for three days straight now, its been really painful (especially on Saturday) and wakes me up at night.

I am also really bloated and constipated. I'm not sure if the trapped wind is a result from constipation, or different entirely?

Has anyone else suffered from this. I've taken laxatives, fibre supplements, prune juice, smoothies, effervescent salts, linseed and flaxseed and generally just been healthy! Jogging, lots of water and juice, no fatty foods or alcohol. They haven't done much except give me mild cramping.

I'm trying to give up dairy and have been avoiding it fine, except for occasional problems with milk in unexpected places.

I'm just so tired of being ill! There is always something wrong with me! My constipation really improved after quitting gluten, but its been bad this past week.

Can anyone recommend food or other things to help constipation, bloating and my digestion in general? I'm getting really depressed about this :(

Thanks again everyone x

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

It sounds like you have been glutened. Thats how I feel when I have been. I also had to give up corn, corn syrup..especially in soda would make me feel like that for days. Anything with corn makes me horribly constipated.
I would drink lots of water to help get things moving and stick to a whole foods diet for a while. Maybe have some chicken with salt and some soft carrots. Things like that. Sometimes fruit makes things worse because it feels like it is fermenting in your guts and causes more gas and pain.
I hope you feel better soon!

#3 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

This is also how i feel when i am having issues with fat intolerance which seems to be something many of us get. Same side effect of too much probiotic, dairy (if you have issues), soy (if you have issues), starting fiber, some of the wheat alternatives (at least for me), and even gut bacteria being off.

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

A big can of salty sauerkraut has some chance of getting things moving. Don't drain it real well, the salt is what makes it work.

For gas in the stomach peppermint is good. Peppermint Altoids work well. Also Betaine HCL. Mastic gum may help too but you need to take it for a couple weeks several times day.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

I like prunes (I know I know) and strong coffee along with extra fibre supplements. I also always have Gas Rx or something like that, on hand to help get the gas going (wind bloat is the norm for glutening for me).

When desperate, standing on your head or, from your knees, bend your head to the ground in a prayer-like pose... the gas seems to rise and, ahem, leave more easily... do without a spouse around to mock you... trust me. ;)

Ibuprofin seems to help with the pain a tad... Best wishes, I know that bloat can hurt.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

I recently had trapped gas, which isn't a usual symptom for me and it was really painful, so I feel for you. Gas X usually works well occasionally when I need it. When constipation gets bad enough though, it's beyond fiber and dietary changes and you need to be more proactive: enemas work. It's not as bad as it sounds. I only use purified water enemas. I can give you more info if you like. Dulcolax suppositories work too, but cause irritation. Magnesium Citrate is another option but not too pleasant to use either.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

#7 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

This happens to me often. Even though you feel bloated, drinking water does help. Also, peppermint herbal tea really helps me!
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#8 justlisa

justlisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

My first question is: "Chest" pain?

Second question: How do you KNOW that the "chest pain"is "trapped wind"?

Third question: It's been a couple of weeks...how have you been doing?

#9 Keshavdas

Keshavdas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

Constipation and gas were my big indicators of Celiac disease. Haven't had it since going gluten free. Before going gluten-free - little things would set me off and couldn't move anything without stool softners for a month at a time.

Stool softeners don't work overnight like Dulcolax etc but they are gentler and the GI system doesn't seem to become as dependent on them as it does with strong stimulant-based laxatives.
I would take two with each meal until things started moving and then taper off as things would
get too loose.

Last time I was really desperate and nothing was helping I did a couple spoonfuls of coconut oil at night before bed. Castor oil is even stronger but not supposed to be so healthy to ingest - tho if the discomfort was severe enough I would use it. Lots of water of course as it's very easy to dehydrated when using any kind of laxative and as it's been pointed out numerous times here, not getting dehydrated is paramount for folks with Celiac issues.

In the end you need to figure out what is causing you to create so much gas, which is what is trapping everything in your bowel.

#10 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

My guess is that you have an intolerance to something which causes gluten like reactions in your digestive system.

I've been running into the same thing. First nuts, then powerade, then gatorade, then other gluten-free labeled processed items.

I'm down to a very limited selection of things that seem stable and safe. From there, I try to bring things in on an individual basis so that I know they are ok.

Kind of a pain in the butt, and often leads to poisonings, but at least I know for certain if it is ok.

I keep it in a log online, so I know dates and items and a timeline, etc.

#11 Lucy Lastic

Lucy Lastic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

I get that a lot. I have IBS in addition to my gluten issues. Any kind of vegetable or fruit that is insoluable fiber makes me very gassy so I try to avoid those.

Peppermint tea or Fennel tea helps me as does taking activate charcoal capsuals. Also, exercise helps me. I guess it forces the gas to move around until it comes out. Nothing is a cure all, though. I just have to wait it out several days until its gone. Hope you feel better.

#12 RockChalkChic

RockChalkChic

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Running or swimming help me. My daily probiotic (Culturelle) and my daily red wine intake :) seems to help most of the time. I used to get that "full up to my chin" feeling before going gluten-free and it was miserable. It was like I just wanted to let out one huge burp! gross! Sometimes eating a cup of brown rice seems to help me, too, or eating dried prunes. Good luck!

Oh, and watch the Altoid minis, they contain wheat!
Negative blood panel
Biopsy "compatible" with celiac sprue
Gluten-free December 2011, with positive dietary response
1st degree relative also with positive dietary response

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: