48 replies to this topic

#46 Poca

Poca

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

It may sound harsh, but consider another option ......... with me, it went undiagnosed until I nearly died. My intestines are a total mess. They are incredibly sensitive to almost anything I eat now, and I am pretty much in constant pain. If it wasn't for pills to deal with the ulcers, I certainly would be dead. But what the heck! I am still alive. Harsh reality time. Please be thankful you are alive, and can lead a relatively normal life. If it were not for your diagnosis you would be a lot happier right now, but it wouldn't last. Believe me, you don't want to find out what happens if you keep eating gluten. Chin up solider! It could be worse. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 NoGlutenCooties

NoGlutenCooties

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Cooties, you have responded to a member who hasn't been active since December 2012. 

Colleen

Doh!  Darn it... that's twice now... gotta learn to look at the posting date.  Sorry... and thanks for the head's up! 

Positive Bloodtest: Oct 1, 2013

Gluten-free since: Oct 2, 2013

Celiac confirmed by Biopsy: Oct 29, 2013

#48 WestCoastGirl

WestCoastGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

I realize this is a very old thread (or the OP and original responses are old, anyway) but I personally don't mind at all that it was bumped up. I think the OP's dilemma, though old to him/her now, is one many of us face as gluten-free newbs, and the responses have been priceless, at least for me.

I have gone back to gluten-free and I am going to do less of the "substitutes" this time, as recommended by several replies to the thread. I too had the same gripes and groans, "gluten-free bread is so expensive," etc. But putting it in such simple terms - meat and veggies and rice aren't "abnormally" expensive, they're just naturally gluten-free items - makes so much sense, it gave me a lightbulb moment.

gluten-free needn't be "hard" or involve "weird" foods. There are so very many foods that just don't contain gluten, which are very commonly eaten, and in fact traditional, breakfast, lunch and dinner foods. I have been thinking, "ZOMG, what about my carbs?" Oh please, as several have stated here, it's just food.

Another thing that struck me about this post was that the OP's dilemma (wherever she is now) is so similar to mine...I feel like I'm not a mother to my children right now. I can barely function. I have to do it for them even more so than for me. All this time I've been thinking me, me, me, I feel so bad, I'm so sick, I, I, I. But it isn't just me that's being affected by this.

I'm grateful to have seen this thread.

- Determined gluten and dairy sensitivities via elimination diet
- DXd Hypothyroid December 2008 (Levothyroxine)
- Ongoing Vitamin D deficiency (rassessed every 3 months), DXd January 2010 (supplements)
- Gluten symptoms: mainly neurological, but some gastrointestinal (brain fog, depression, clumsiness, fatigue, D, bloating, DH)

~Getting my life back!~

#49 MGR

MGR

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

I find I have to do everything in the morning when I am most energetic - I have slow cooker and prepare some stew in it or even chicken with veg and potatoes, soup whilst making breakfast- so that I can take it easy and rest for the day. Also on an energetic day I often cook two meals at once and freeze one (something like bolognaise sauce- make a lot in one go and freeze a couple of portions) So I always have something for the family which is easy and effortless- bags of salad- precook, rice, quinoa, millet and keep them in bags in the freezer so that we c an add them to the salads, soups,etc

In any case, have faith and you must find your body's rhythm and go with it!! We're here to help if you need us!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: