This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cheeses

shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf Proficient

I have been considering trying some new types of cheese. I normally like cheddar (mild is okay, medium is my favorite, and sharp is okay), mozzarella, Parmesan, and American slice cheese. I do not like blue cheeses or goats cheeses.

Any suggestions for me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Do you like ricotta? I make my own. Easy peasy. Delicious in stuffed pastas, lasagne, etc. Have you tried applewood smoked cheddar? Swiss? Gouda? Emmenthal? Edam? Caerphilly from Wales is lovely. Wensleydale is awesome.

As you like mild, you may like havarti, Monterey Jack and English cheddar (much nicer than American IMHO). Provolone is a very mild melting cheese. If you have not tried true mozzarella, it will be a revelation. Buffalo milk mozzarella is hard to find as the real stuff is only made in one region in Italy but some specialty cheese shops have it. Have you had feta?

I also love romano, pecorino, Humboldt fog, truffle cheese, etc. My cheese loves list is verrrrry long.

I own several books on cheeses including encyclopedias!

IrishHeart Veteran

Love2travel and I are both big cheese lovers and I also enjoy a wide variety of them, but since it seems you prefer more mild cheeses,

maybe you could try some crumbled feta sprinkled on your salad. (and because you do not like goat's milk, make sure you select a cow's milk feta). I make a brown rice tortilla wrap with feta, diced cukes, marinated red peppers, red onion, kalamata olives and a dash of balsamic vinegar for lunch. Yum.  throw some diced chicken in there, if you like.

I know you're a college student and have a budget, so  some cheeses may be too pricey right now. Keeping that in mind, I'll suggest a splurge on one of these sometime:

A chunk of smoked gouda with apple slices or sesame crackers is really delicious.

Have you tried a melted brie? spread it on crackers and sprinkle with chopped almonds. Or, get a small jar of fig jam, spread the jam on the cracker, then spread on some brie. Very yum. 

I agree with the suggestion of trying some fresh mozzarella.  Get yourself a ball of it (it will be packed in water) slice it thin, add a slice of tomato and sprinkle with some basil, and a dash of balsamic vinegar and a slice of bread and you've got lunch.

mamaw Community Regular

if  you  have  a  Costco or  sam's  club  try  Dubliner........imported...

IrishHeart Veteran

if  you  have  a  Costco or  sam's  club  try  Dubliner........imported...

oh gosh, yes....That's in my fridge.  ;) that's some good stuff, right mama!!?? yum

kareng Grand Master

Was just in the Osceola cheese factory store! Those people will put most anything in cheese and then smoke it! We got a cheese with blueberries in it, a smoked Swiss, a ghost pepper cheese and something else got snuck in there I didn't see. Ghost pepper is supposed to be the hottest pepper around.

IrishHeart Veteran

cool! I've had blueberry goat cheese and it is yumsters!

ghost cheese....sounds scary....get it? scary. :mellow: how hot is it, K??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

cool! I've had blueberry goat cheese and it is yumsters! ghost cheese....sounds scary....get it? scary. :mellow: how hot is it, K??

I don't know. I'm not tasting it. It seems to be Ok in the cooler so far.

IrishHeart Veteran

I don't know. I'm not tasting it. It seems to be Ok in the cooler so far.

well, if it hasn't melted the ice....or the sides of the cooler...yet.....might be okay. lol 

bartfull Rising Star

Sounds like a great weapon. "DO AS I SAY, OR IT'S THE CHEESE FOR YOU!!!" :o  :lol: 

IrishHeart Veteran

:lol:  :lol:  better than the old bar of soap thinger

kareng Grand Master

My kids are the ones that want the cheese!

IrishHeart Veteran

My kids are the ones that want the cheese!

:lol:  well, they can use it for punishing mommy when she is bad then.

love2travel Mentor

cool! I've had blueberry goat cheese and it is yumsters!

ghost cheese....sounds scary....get it? scary. :mellow: how hot is it, K??

The hottest pepper thinger on the planet. Cannot recall how many Scoville units...
IrishHeart Veteran

The hottest pepper thinger on the planet. Cannot recall how many Scoville units...

holy crappers! Not sure I even want to try.. 

Moving-picture-dragon-breathing-fire-ani

jerseyangel Proficient

if you have a Costco or sam's club try Dubliner........imported...

Just bought some yesterday at Wegman's. yum-o!
mamaw Community Regular

we  fight in our  house  for the Dubliner......way  to good..........Lunch:  Dubliner, food  should  taste good  chips  &  grapes....

IrishHeart Veteran

Here is what I do with Dubliner cheddar

slice ultra thin

make a grilled cheese sammy (lots of Irish Gold butter spread on)

with tomato, sliced onion and ham ....or bacon !!

...yes, yes , yes!!

the Irish call that a "toasted" sandwich and I ate a bazillion of them the first time I traveled the countryside there. and again the 2nd, 3rd, 4th. time

(with a half pint o' Guinness...but those were the old days...sigh)  :D

shadowicewolf Proficient

Well you guys have given me some ideas to try out for sure. I didn't think this thread would be so popular lol

IrishHeart Veteran

Well you guys have given me some ideas to try out for sure. I didn't think this thread would be so popular lol

it's because we love you, honey ...and we love cheese. :D

kareng Grand Master

it's because we love you, honey ...and we love cheese. :D

And because some of us can turn any thread into " chat".

IrishHeart Veteran

And because some of us can turn any thread into " chat".

who you talkin 'bout, willis??

or

"It's a gift" :D

or

true dat, K

***choose your own ending

nvsmom Community Regular

Here is what I do with Dubliner cheddar

slice ultra thin

make a grilled cheese sammy (lots of Irish Gold butter spread on)

with tomato, sliced onion and ham ....or bacon !!

...yes, yes , yes!!

the Irish call that a "toasted" sandwich and I ate a bazillion of them the first time I traveled the countryside there. and again the 2nd, 3rd, 4th. time

(with a half pint o' Guinness...but those were the old days...sigh)  :D

Mmmmm, cheese and Guinness... Does anyone make a gluten-free gluten-free Guinness?  If not, they should get on that!!

kareng Grand Master

" Hotter than Hell " ghost pepper cheese was pretty darn hot!

tarnalberry Community Regular

I have been considering trying some new types of cheese. I normally like cheddar (mild is okay, medium is my favorite, and sharp is okay), mozzarella, Parmesan, and American slice cheese. I do not like blue cheeses or goats cheeses.

Any suggestions for me?

Gouda.

I personally like a Honey Goat Gouda that Trader Joe's has here in Washington, but there are a lot of varieties of Gouda.  It's a pretty smooth cheese, not too far from a more mild cheddar.

Archived