This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Two Months...coping With...recent Gluten Binge

BOXCARCUT

BOXCARCUT Newbie

HI,

I'm a new member to this forum. I have never been diagnosed with Celiac but have struggled with stomach issues, bloating, etc when I've consumed gluten.

Two months ago, I made the choice to eat a gluten free diet. I have been very strict in my diet. I've noticed significant changes in my energy level, mood and stomach issues. Honestly, the stomach issues have really gone away completely. I'm 6'1 and have gone from 245 lbs to around 228 lbs.

The only thing that has been difficult for me is to stay away from is beer. I love beer. I have tried several gluten free beers and they are just awful. I have not had a regular beer since starting gluten free.

Well this past Friday, I went out with some friends and for whatever reason I had a few whiskeys drinks and 3 regular beers. I have been a mess this weekend. Agonizing stomach pian, bloating, constipation and tiredness. I slept alot this weekend. I had no energy at all. It is now Monday morning, I've improving slowly. Stomach issues are still there. In a "relapse" like this, how long should I expect to feel this way.

I won't make this mistake again. I am certain that I have a gluten sensitivity after this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

welcome to the forum :)  you're sure it's not just a hangover lolz just kidding!

if you are planning to get tested, you should still be eating gluten.  i guess you are correct in your suspicions, but you might want to rule out any other diseases that need different treatment.  there are other disorders/diseases that a gluten-free diet is considered beneficial but also need other extra 'help' - like thyroid or crohns.  also get checked for vitamin deficiencies.  have you seen a doctor at all about this?  i am constantly amazed by how much a gluten-free diet helps so many!

nvsmom Community Regular

Ouch! Green's beer isn't too bad... Like a good home brew.

Hope you feel better soon.

BOXCARCUT Newbie

welcome to the forum :)  you're sure it's not just a hangover lolz just kidding!

if you are planning to get tested, you should still be eating gluten.  i guess you are correct in your suspicions, but you might want to rule out any other diseases that need different treatment.  there are other disorders/diseases that a gluten-free diet is considered beneficial but also need other extra 'help' - like thyroid or crohns.  also get checked for vitamin deficiencies.  have you seen a doctor at all about this?  i am constantly amazed by how much a gluten-free diet helps so many!

I have had blood work done for Crohns and Thyroid issues. Both have come back negative. I am planning to get tested for Celiac but at this point I can't go back to eating a gluten diet.

kareng Grand Master

I have had blood work done for Crohns and Thyroid issues. Both have come back negative. I am planning to get tested for Celiac but at this point I can't go back to eating a gluten diet.

If you are not eating gluten, they can't test you for Celiac.  Something to consider.

AlwaysLearning Collaborator

So sorry to hear that one night out did so much damage.

I didn't like Greens' beer because the alcohol content was too high, but Redbridge wasn't bad for a pale and didn't mind the one Bard's that I tried. I was a Guiness girl before going gluten free so I definitely miss my stouts.

When it comes to liquors, you can still enjoy, just have to figure out which types and brands are safe and hope that the establishment isn't putting cheap versions into expensive bottles. I was never a big fan of drinking and now I know why, but there are options out there.

Also, if you can find a grocery store that specializes in organic or natural foods, they may also carry gluten-free beers that you can experiment with. And if your stores don't carry the brand's that get good reviews online, they may be able to order them for you by the case. I suppose if you end up not liking them, you could always have others over to help finish them off. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

My husband's been gluten-free for twelve years without the benefit of testing.  But for many it's really hard to stick the the gluten-free diet without testing.  I tested positive for celiac disease in March.  I found that I received more family support, which as a side benefit helped my husband ("are you sure he can't have gluten?")  Plus, I'm helping others in my family.  Slowly, they are getting tested!

I tried gluten-free beer and it was awful!  But, I was still new to the diet and I think I was having trouble with any alcohol (vodka).  But I successfully had one drink that past weekend -- a screwdriver.  I'm sure  the freshly squeezed OJ that made the drink!

I think my intestines are healing! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Green's

Bard's

New Planet

these are some good gluten-free beers.

Redbridge is not that good at all, IMHO, unless you like  stuff like Budweiser. (blech)

Don't let the beer issue get in the way of keeping you off the very thing that makes you feel so bad.

If you can stand a gluten challenge,  having a firm diagnosis has its benefits, but if you can't,  you can't. 

As Karen has pointed out, no celiac blood test will be accurate if you are already G F.

To answer your question, everyone's recovery from a gluten exposure varies. Some take days, some take weeks, but

all you can do is wait it out, I'm afraid. Sorry, there's no set answer.

Drink a lot of water. You'll be okay.

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

I used to love beer as well. I moved to Woodchuck or Apple Orchard hard ciders. The Woodchuck Amber is my favorite.

I hope you are feeling better!

notme Experienced

redbridge is easiest to get, and it was fine until i had some bard's  :lol: <which i can *get* but it's a pain.  i want new planet blonde which is my favorite so far, but i can't find it at all.  zip zilch nada....

Adalaide Mentor

I live in Utah and even I can get New Planet! You must live under a rock or something. :lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

redbridge is easiest to get, and it was fine until i had some bard's  :lol: <which i can *get* but it's a pain.  i want new planet blonde which is my favorite so far, but i can't find it at all.  zip zilch nada....

want me to ship you some, you poor thing?  :lol:

notme Experienced

want me to ship you some, you poor thing?  :lol:

nah, i'll just suffer  :lol:

they have it EVERYWHERE else - i tried it up in nj.  when i went online to look for the closest retailer, there *might* be one in nashville.  in the whole state!  the northeast is lousy with them.....  go figger.....

my 'guy' in town is trying to get me bard's a case at a time, so there's that (he's got till friday, then i'm on to plan b lolz) 

Archived