This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Ever Been Glutened By Ground Beef?

across

IrishHeart Veteran

My dad recently told me that contrary to popular belief, wood is best.  Quick search I saw this

Open Original Shared Link

and any other quick search will give you this opinion:

A wood cutting board is the best for prepping fruits and vegetables. Keep one on your counter and clean and oil it often. For preparing raw proteins, we recommend a plastic board, which should be washed often, preferably in a dish washer. If you like using a cutting board for carving cooked meats, you'll want to have a third cutting board, or you could do so safely on your vegetable board as well.

We also love Open Original Shared Link boards, a brand of cutting boards that are made out of a material originally created for skate park surfaces. The cutting boards are made from a combination of different recycled materials including wood and plastic. These boards are safe on knives, safe in dishwashers and are completely nonporous, meaning no bacteria.

Open Original Shared Link

I went with Epicurian. but honestly, I mostly use the old paper plate option for daily use when slicing and dicing...safe, economical and no worries. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michellec26 Newbie

Interesting. This was a sealed pack, and I believe the back of it was black.

You could have gotten cross contamination from seasonings in the flavored ones if they are processed/packaged on the same lines.

Nikki2777 Community Regular

I'll try and check on the name of the brand and post back.  I've always wondered how I got glutened by this, but if yours was the same that might explain it.

Ok - I was in the same store today and I see that the patties were Murray's brand.  I've bought other things from them before and not had a problem, so I can't say for sure it was them -- or, as someone else said, maybe it was the seasonings.

Was it the same ones?

across Contributor

Ok - I was in the same store today and I see that the patties were Murray's brand.  I've bought other things from them before and not had a problem, so I can't say for sure it was them -- or, as someone else said, maybe it was the seasonings.

Was it the same ones?

Nope. It was a pre-packaged (not made at the store) store brand. However, usually store brands are manufactured by someone else, so it's possible it could have come from the same place.

I bought another package of it, and I'm going to try it without the tomato sauce tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

michellec26 Newbie

Nope. It was a pre-packaged (not made at the store) store brand. However, usually store brands are manufactured by someone else, so it's possible it could have come from the same place.

I bought another package of it, and I'm going to try it without the tomato sauce tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

I was wondering if cross contamination could have occurred at the packaging plant. I would research all the brand names associated with that one and see if any of them make a pre-mixed meatloaf, or other thing that might have spices or even breadcrumbs in them. 

IrishHeart Veteran

I do not know where you are all getting this information, but let's just back up for a second.  :)

(1) meat is not cross contaminated "at the plant"

(2) supermarkets may mix up a meatloaf mix, sure...but they do not put breadcrumbs in it--it's just veal, pork, beef!

Unless they LABEL IT AS SUCH!

(3) all meats have a black bottomed stryo package

yes, you should not buy a "burger patty with seasoning and breadcrumbs" pre-packaged  from the case!!

but a sealed package of plain ground beef? is fine. 

kareng Grand Master

Only meat is killed, processed, etc at the meat factory.  Plain hamburger must be plain burger.  IF it is a mix of something, it has to say the ingredients.  Lots of stores/brands use a black bottom.  Some use a white one.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

michellec26 Newbie

I do not know where you are all getting this information, but let's just back up for a second.  :)

(1) meat is not cross contaminated "at the plant"

(2) supermarkets may mix up a meatloaf mix, sure...but they do not put breadcrumbs in it--it's just veal, pork, beef!

Unless they LABEL IT AS SUCH!

yes, you should not buy a "burger patty with seasoning and breadcrumbs" pre-packaged  from the case!!

but a sealed package of plain ground beef? is fine. 

Not true. My market has a pre-mixed meat loaf that DOES have bread crumbs in it.  They also make crab stuffed sole, which also has breadcrumbs in it. Of course that is labeled. If some ground beef accidentally came in contact with an allergen, it would NOT be labeled, it probably would have been unnoticed. MANY vacuum packed things ARE mixed and packaged at a plant. I do not think it is wise to make a blanket statement otherwise.  

kareng Grand Master

Not true. My market has a pre-mixed meat loaf that DOES have bread crumbs in it.  They also make crab stuffed sole, which also has breadcrumbs in it. Of course that is labeled. If some ground beef accidentally came in contact with an allergen, it would NOT be labeled, it probably would have been unnoticed. MANY vacuum packed things ARE mixed and packaged at a plant. I do not think it is wise to make a blanket statement otherwise.  

Why would a meat packing plant run all the meat through an extra process (the meat loaf mixing machine)?  I am just curious about that.  But, if you are worried about meat, you shouldn't eat it.  Or you can get it straight from a farmer that you can quiz about practices.  

IrishHeart Veteran

You are saying two different things here, hon.

(1) yes, meats and seafood can be mixed with bread crumbs at the store for sale

(2) these things are not packaged at a plant 

Anything that is, is labeled as "may contain"...fill in the blank.

(3) plain ground beef--is just that

Thanks to labeling laws, this is not that difficult.They have to declare allergens==it is the law.

michellec26 Newbie

You are saying two different things here, hon.

(1) yes, meats and seafood can be mixed with bread crumbs at the store for sale

(2) these things are not packaged at a plant 

Anything that is, is labeled as "may contain"...fill in the blank.

(3) plain ground beef--is just that

Thanks to labeling laws, this is not that difficult.They have to declare allergens==it is the law.

I answered two things that you mentioned in your reply to me. 1: that some stores DO have pre-mixed meat loaf containing breadcrumbs: you said that stores DO NOT. That is INCORRECT, because they have it at my local store. 2: I am fully aware of the practices at meat packaging plants. They process tons and tons of meat at one time and packaging things for ONE client COULD include more than one type of finished product. For example, ready made patties (containing fillers) and PLAIN ground beef. Wheat is a commonly found meat extender.  If the equipment used to grind and mix the meat is shared, and is not properly cleaned, cross contamination COULD occur. OR, if another client's products containing allergens were mixed before the plain ground beef, and the equipment wasn't properly cleaned, cross contamination could occur. For example: Organic Prairie, one of the largest retailers of pre-packaged grass fed beef,  has this disclaimer on their site < All of the products listed on this page are naturally gluten-free. However, this does not preclude the possibility of cross-contamination during the production process>.  I don't know if we can post links here, but I found it by searching <are all organic prairie products gluten free?> CC IS a possibility. I am not talking about a labeling issue, I am talking about a possible cross-contamination issue, and after living with celiac disease for almost 20 years now, I know better than to take ANYONE making a blanket statement as fact.  I research as much as I can. 

notme Experienced

CC IS a possibility. I am not talking about a labeling issue, I am talking about a possible cross-contamination issue, and after living with celiac disease for

almost 20 years now, I know better than to take ANYONE making a blanket statement as fact.  I research as much as I can. 

what you are, in actuality doing, is making people unnecessarily afraid to eat plain ground beef.  i have never once been glutened by plain ground beef.  it has to be labeled if there is anything added to plain ground beef.  where ever they make it, they have to label it if there is anything added to plain ground beef.   if you would like to make a statement like that, you need to provide credible evidence of such.  and i am talking about things being added into plain ground beef such as wheat being added into plain ground beef as an extender and not being labeled as such.

across Contributor

I responded to the issue of the black-bottomed package because it is a rather distinctive packaging that I have never seen before on any other ground beef product. It is NOT a black-bottomed styo package. It is a square, soft plastic black packaging which is easily seen from the front of the package, and it has a distinctive appearance.

I didn't mention the manufacturer's name because I didn't want to slander them if there was, indeed, no problem with their product.

across Contributor

what you are, in actuality doing, is making people unnecessarily afraid to eat plain ground beef.  i have never once been glutened by plain ground beef.  it has to be labeled if there is anything added to plain ground beef.  where ever they make it, they have to label it if there is anything added to plain ground beef.   if you would like to make a statement like that, you need to provide credible evidence of such.  and i am talking about things being added into plain ground beef such as wheat being added into plain ground beef as an extender and not being labeled as such.

Cross contamination and additives are two entirely different things.

across Contributor

As the OP, can I request that this thread be closed? I simply wanted to know if anyone else had ever had a bad experience with ground beef. I wasn't looking to start a fight.

Scott Adams Grand Master

No reason to close this thread, as it is certainly fair to discuss this here. Anything can be cross-contaminated, and in a butcher's refrigerator case I've seen the butchers grab pre-made meatballs with bread crums in them and use their same plastic glove-covered hands to grab ground beef--do you want to eat that celiacs??

kenlove Rising Star

I agree completely Scott, There is cut and dry answer. yes pure ground beef is gluten free  but unless you see them grind it    after pulling the grinder out of a sterilizer, there is no guarantee.  As for labeling  I can't trust. Small local stores dont follow the same rules as big companies even if they are supposed too.  For those of us who have been glutened by  cross contamination and mislabeling from ground beef and other items have good reason not to rust labeling. As for laws that say  things must be labeled, yes there are laws. Does   everyone follow them? Not at all.  I wont put my health at risk by believing a blanket statement that all ground beef is safe unless I grind it myself.

No reason to close this thread, as it is certainly fair to discuss this here. Anything can be cross-contaminated, and in a butcher's refrigerator case I've seen the butchers grab pre-made meatballs with bread crums in them and use their same plastic glove-covered hands to grab ground beef--do you want to eat that celiacs??

kenlove Rising Star

Across,

Wish there was a like button for your comments!

Cross contamination and additives are two entirely different things.

kenlove Rising Star

Like butt for you too 

michellec26

I answered two things that you mentioned in your reply to me. 1: that some stores DO have pre-mixed meat loaf containing breadcrumbs: you said that stores DO NOT. That is INCORRECT, because they have it at my local store. 2: I am fully aware of the practices at meat packaging plants. They process tons and tons of meat at one time and packaging things for ONE client COULD include more than one type of finished product. For example, ready made patties (containing fillers) and PLAIN ground beef. Wheat is a commonly found meat extender.  If the equipment used to grind and mix the meat is shared, and is not properly cleaned, cross contamination COULD occur. OR, if another client's products containing allergens were mixed before the plain ground beef, and the equipment wasn't properly cleaned, cross contamination could occur. For example: Organic Prairie, one of the largest retailers of pre-packaged grass fed beef,  has this disclaimer on their site < All of the products listed on this page are naturally gluten-free. However, this does not preclude the possibility of cross-contamination during the production process>.  I don't know if we can post links here, but I found it by searching <are all organic prairie products gluten free?> CC IS a possibility. I am not talking about a labeling issue, I am talking about a possible cross-contamination issue, and after living with celiac disease for almost 20 years now, I know better than to take ANYONE making a blanket statement as fact.  I research as much as I can. 

NatureChick Rookie

I also recommend trying ground lamb. Very tasty and so far, it is generally not as bad when it comes to the problems associated with factory farming. Cows actually die from digestive problems if they eat corn for more than a couple of months. The current practice of fattening them up on corn before being butchered means that the dangerous bacteria that grow in their gut is found in much higher quantities. Also, most slaughterhouses these days end up mixing the meat of hundreds of cows together so if one animal's meat is contaminated, it may contaminate the rest of the batch as well. That is why steak tartar is no longer available in restaurants.

LauraTX Rising Star

Pure ground beef is gluten free.  However, once you start sharing facilities such as a butcher case, like the one at a grocery store near me where I do not patronize the butcher case because they have the breaded patties next to everything else, and they carry it over the plain meat.  Anywhere you go where employees need to be doing the right thing for food safety can be potentially unsafe when people do not do their job right.  It is the same reason why you are more likely to suffer from foodborne illness at a restaurant.  I read a recent study that said even though they are ran by professionals who know what to do to prevent foodborne illness, it generally comes down to people just not doing their job like not washing their hands after going to the bathroom, etc.

You just have to use your best judgement in all situations.  If your local grocer has a shady dirty looking butcher counter, and you can't see the back area or you can see it and it is filthy, you really shouldn't buy anything there, LOL.

IrishHeart Veteran

I agree with the "butcher case" scenario, of course! that's my point about breaded items in the meat case and the seafood section cases.

There are various things that may contain breaded items in there.  I would be very leery of that ground meat..

I was addressing the plain, packaged beef. It's gluten free.

Of course there IS a difference between additives and seasonings and breaded products.

The original question was if the beef made her ill or possibly the tomato sauce which has given her grief before.

It's not always about "possible gluten hiding everywhere"...sometimes, it is another food intolerance. She agreed it was possible. 

I think that often, we assume things about where gluten may possibly be hiding. Sometimes, it becomes too speculative and worrisome for people

who are newly diagnosed.

Soon, the new labeling law will make it easier because everything, including unnecessary things like water will have a big fat G  F label on it.

And conversations like this will not devolve into "maybe and possibly".

I see that some people are not even reading what is written--they are just commenting and creating more confusion. I gave it my best, simple and most logical answer to the OP's question. I give up! ^_^

Best wishes. 
notme Experienced

Wheat is a commonly found meat extender. 

this is the statement i was questioning.  not bread crums.

and i am talking about things being added into plain ground beef such as wheat being added into plain ground beef as an extender and not being labeled as such.

and that's what i asked.  but, thanks for reading......

notme Experienced

No reason to close this thread, as it is certainly fair to discuss this here. 

absolutely.

I wont put my health at risk by believing a blanket statement that all ground beef is safe unless I grind it myself.

i wish there was a like button!!!!  :D  nothing like starting the day with a :) :) :)

Gemini Experienced

I agree completely Scott, There is cut and dry answer. yes pure ground beef is gluten free  but unless you see them grind it    after pulling the grinder out of a sterilizer, there is no guarantee.  As for labeling  I can't trust. Small local stores dont follow the same rules as big companies even if they are supposed too.  For those of us who have been glutened by  cross contamination and mislabeling from ground beef and other items have good reason not to rust labeling. As for laws that say  things must be labeled, yes there are laws. Does   everyone follow them? Not at all.  I wont put my health at risk by believing a blanket statement that all ground beef is safe unless I grind it myself.

Aren't you a vegan, Ken?    Or is there such a thing as a meat eating vegan these days?  ^_^

After reading this thread, all I can say is that those of you who fear a gluten hit from plain ground beef bought from a reputable butcher or grocery store with good handling practices, just stop eating it.  Or instead of arguing with those trying to give you the correct information on something that's a no brainer to figure out anyway, go buy a good Celiac book and educate yourself. That's how to get past all the fear and uncertainty you might have regarding this diet. Learn.  Do not rely on the government to do your thinking for you with labeling laws, although I know they will be helpful to some, it is still you responsibility to educate yourself on how to manage this diet successfully.

Now off I go to fire up the grill and have me some freshly ground bison burgers....... ;)

Archived