Rate this topic

Hi! My name is George. I am 13 years of age and I am struggling with a problem. I was diagnosed with celiac about 6 months ago after having stomachs and short stature. I love this new diet now that I am starting to develop muscles. The good things end there. I hate seeing all my friends eat sandwiches, cake, cookies, pizza etc. I also have been dealing with delayed puberty. Is this linked with celiac? Should I tell my parents? Should I see an endocrinologist? Please help me. 

-George 

P.S. An adult didn't write this I am just very educated.

Welcome George. Having a celiac diagnosis at any age is tough but it is very hard when you are in your teens. Unfortunately it seems so much revolves around food. All we can really do is try to keep food on us as much as we can so when others are eating stuff we have something also.  Eating before we join friends can help so at least we aren't hungry.  Maybe have a slice or two of gluten-free pizza before you go.  I keep 'treat' foods with me, stuff like chocolate, safe cookies or granola bars etc.

Do talk to your doctor about the puberty issue. Celiac can mess with our hormones but that should resolve after you have healed. You may even find that you have a growth spurt before too long. Hang in there, the fact that you are feeling better is a good thing so concentrate on that if you should happen to be tempted to eat something risky.

You may also want to post in the Post Diagnosis or Teen section as those may get more notice and replies.

6 hours ago, George Macdonald said:

Hi! My name is George. I am 13 years of age and I am struggling with a problem. I was diagnosed with celiac about 6 months ago after having stomachs and short stature. I love this new diet now that I am starting to develop muscles. The good things end there. I hate seeing all my friends eat sandwiches, cake, cookies, pizza etc. I also have been dealing with delayed puberty. Is this linked with celiac? Should I tell my parents? Should I see an endocrinologist? Please help me. 

-George 

P.S. An adult didn't write this I am just very educated.

Hi George. I agree, you should discuss with your doctor. But before worrying too much, I am thinking back to my junior high/high school days and I remember a few guys basically returning after a summer vacation totally changed! So, you technically might be a bit on the later end, but by no means have you missed the puberty boat. 

Learn how to start making some gluten free goodies on your own. Brownies and pizza crust can be frozen. You may have some fails, but when you find a good recipe, your friends will inquire, try a piece and you can say "yeah, I made them" which is pretty damn cool. 

Honestly I had very late onset puberty, and a mental delay of interest like 5 years behind everyone else. Made me the real odd ball, top it off with Aspergers and life as a kid was tough. Back then we did not know it was celiac causing me do never want to do anything and always in pain (bloating was always bad and I assumed it was normal). I have no medical references as to the late onset puberty just my personal experiences. As for enjoying other foods....I made it my life to create safe foods and crazy flavor combinations in cooking to enjoy food again. I will PM you some links to simple ideas, and where to get ingredients. You seem like you might be able to do something great starting off early like this. I surprise my friends with some foods as they are very innovative and made with strong flavors and great mixes. Everyone else is eating lunchables and sandwiches and you show up with a container of stir fry and baked goods. Best part is with this disease you can bring your own food almost anywhere including theme parks and theaters. If they can not meet your medical and food requirements with what they provide then you can bring you own to meet your medical, and food requirements, saves alot of money. Good luck.

This is article is oddly timely.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-celiac-teen-height-idUSKCN12D2WG

I definitely would discuss this with your PED GI and set your mind at ease.  The other members have given you excellent advice!  

Edited by cyclinglady