Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Scott Adams

News: Celiac.com: Low-carb, gluten-free and now Paleo… Another anti-grain fad or a true concern for bakers?

Rate this topic

“With the exception of a very small percentage of the population with celiac disease, for whom a gluten-free diet is medically imperative, we think ...

View the full article

Honestly this is not a issues for bakeries at all. I run a gluten free bakery and have transitioned to mostly grain free baked goods in stock only. And we do rice and oat based by request. The sales on grain free baked goods is actually pretty low, The cost to make such baked goods is truly atrocious, this means most of use that do it this way have to have our cost much above that of a normal bakery or even other gluten-free bakeries with paleo versions. Examples are mini muffins at $1 each and muffins about $2-3 each depending on filling. Cookies are $1-2 for a little 1.5" cookie, and I only make a 5-15% profit off these from the ingredient cost not counting my labor. Base ingredients for pure uncontaminated and gluten-free certified nut flours is quite high, I also mill out almond butter, and can say the process of roasting, milling, stone grinding, and flavoring them is not only expensive but hard and labor intensive making the cost quite high for the end product.

At markets it is depressing but I bring less then a 1/10th of product other non gluten-free bakers/bakeries bring. And they always sell out while I sometimes have stuff take take back and eat myself. A non Gluten free Bakery has no business dealing in trying to jump on gluten free or paleo as a fad diet, and has no worries about those of us that specialize in it stealing their business. Hate to say it but the wheat bakers and baked goods will stay a mainstream item and out sell the others at all but specialized events.