Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Scott Adams

News: Celiac.com: Low-carb, gluten-free and now Paleo… Another anti-grain fad or a true concern for bakers?

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Honestly this is not a issues for bakeries at all. I run a gluten free bakery and have transitioned to mostly grain free baked goods in stock only. And we do rice and oat based by request. The sales on grain free baked goods is actually pretty low, The cost to make such baked goods is truly atrocious, this means most of use that do it this way have to have our cost much above that of a normal bakery or even other gluten-free bakeries with paleo versions. Examples are mini muffins at $1 each and muffins about $2-3 each depending on filling. Cookies are $1-2 for a little 1.5" cookie, and I only make a 5-15% profit off these from the ingredient cost not counting my labor. Base ingredients for pure uncontaminated and gluten-free certified nut flours is quite high, I also mill out almond butter, and can say the process of roasting, milling, stone grinding, and flavoring them is not only expensive but hard and labor intensive making the cost quite high for the end product.

At markets it is depressing but I bring less then a 1/10th of product other non gluten-free bakers/bakeries bring. And they always sell out while I sometimes have stuff take take back and eat myself. A non Gluten free Bakery has no business dealing in trying to jump on gluten free or paleo as a fad diet, and has no worries about those of us that specialize in it stealing their business. Hate to say it but the wheat bakers and baked goods will stay a mainstream item and out sell the others at all but specialized events.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter