Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy4dolphins

3 Weeks G/f And Caved In Today

(with my head hanging low), I say Hello,

Well, I've gone three weeks gluten-free and today I caved! I had my sons left over chocolate brownie mud pie icecream and a few left over m &ms with the loft over chocolate frosting on the cake and sseveral mouthfulls of left over brownies.

Now, what hurts a ton tonight is my pelivs, spine and hip joints (I think I have spondylitis). Stomach is a little oozy, but that's about it. Wonder if the gluten set it off for the spondylitis. I haven't hurt this bad in a very long time.

Nicole

Dolphin Joy,

Nicole

gluten intolerant/ 2005

dd gluten intolerant/ 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Say it isn't so! Now you have to start all over again. Remember, this isn't a diet like others where you can cheat occasionally. Hopefully you'll feel better in a few days, but it'll take at least 6 months to a year to fix any damage those brownies did. BTW, The Gluten Free Pantry makes a chocolate truffle brownie to die for. Honestly, my friends have no clue that it is gluten-free. Sorry you're in pain tonight.

NONONONONO. Now you at least know what it feels like to be glutened, and will probably never want to have that feeling again. So just think of the way you are feeling now, and then maybe that will be a way to get you to not want to have gluten ever again.

SO now you have to start all over again.

Just take it one day at a time, and just don't eat gluten tomorrow, or the next day or the next, and then you will start feeling better, and then maybe you will be better, and not crave to have gluten ever again.

Molly

Say it isn't so! Now you have to start all over again. Remember, this isn't a diet like others where you can cheat occasionally. Hopefully you'll feel better in a few days, but it'll take at least 6 months to a year to fix any damage those brownies did. BTW, The Gluten Free Pantry makes a chocolate truffle brownie to die for. Honestly, my friends have no clue that it is gluten-free. Sorry you're in pain tonight.

The Gluten Free Pantry!?!? tell me more!

The gluten free pantry is a very good gluten free place that makes gluten-free mixes and such. They sell a lot of their mixes at whole foods market. You should really try it out, the brownies w/ the chocolate chunks in them are really to die for. I make them for soccer snack(when I get back to playing) and everyone on the team eats them because they are really quite good.

Molly

The gluten free pantry is a very good gluten free place that makes gluten-free mixes and such. They sell a lot of their mixes at whole foods market. You should really try it out, the brownies w/ the chocolate chunks in them are really to die for. I make them for soccer snack(when I get back to playing) and everyone on the team eats them because they are really quite good.

Also try Namaste mixes. YUM! Next time you see that left over chocolate cake break it down into what it really is: POISON. It is not for you. And always have something you can snack on. Nuts, fruit, Think Organic bars ( ( always have some in my purse so that I don't cave & I don't get a headache from going hungry.)

Nicole, it can be hard at the beginning. What is done is done, no point in berating yourself for a weak moment (okay a few week moments). Just start over, and make sure you have some nice treats around for yourself for next time you get tempted.

M&Ms are fine, usually ice cream is fine, a lot of chocolate is, and do bake yourself some nice treats next time you serve something you can't have. Then you can have something yummy without the guilt and pain.

And you might as well bake the next birthday cake gluten free (if you do it right, nobody will notice), and you can just have it too! :P

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One instance of eating gluten does not necessarily cause damage that takes 6 months to a year to fix. If you have research that shows otherwise please tell me where I can read it.

richard

Well, if you even had a shadow of a doubt, I guess you don't now! Just pick up from here, and stick to the diet!

I would also like to read the research that says it takes 6 months to a year to heal damage from a glutening.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

I just read (I believe in Dr. Green's book) that they tested how long the effects are visible from a glutening, and I believe it said three weeks. Still, it isn't a good idea, of course. And as for the elevated cancer risk for celiacs, it takes five years on a strict gluten free diet for our risk to be average (as in non-celiacs). So, you never want to do it on purpose.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep--I agree with Ursula. Just get back on the gluten-free track and feel better :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Sorry, I didn't want to berate you or anything, i was just trying to say that you shouldn't do it again.

sorry if i offended you or anything, I didn't mean to in any way.

Molly

I suffer so extensivly from a few grains of being glutened by accident. There is no way I would ever deliberately eat something. Yesterday for the first time in my life I was craving KFC, I thought of the day before when I was accidently glutened and almost got sick thinking about it, no way I would cheat. The reprocussions are too great.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

I know its very tough staying gluten-free. My first probably half a year of being on the diet I ended up glutening myself, mostly because I didnt know just what I had to avoid. I think its probably why I am so much more sensative to it now, that even a crumb or 2 coming in contact with gluten-free food makes me sick!!

Stick to it. It takes time, and I know I still break down and cry over it once in a while, but you'd be amazed how many things you can find that are exactly the same as regular food that everyone eats, except gluten-free of course!

Hope you're feeling better.

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

HI, Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not offended at all........rather feel well supported. I know it's a no no and I still have a few break downs every now and then too. Must be natural and normal. I do feel so much better, that for sure.

Thanks so much for getting after me, suppose I needed to hear it again.

Nicole

Dolphin Joy,

Nicole

gluten intolerant/ 2005

dd gluten intolerant/ 2006

One instance of eating gluten does not necessarily cause damage that takes 6 months to a year to fix. If you have research that shows otherwise please tell me where I can read it.

richard

Sorry, I don't have any research. Just quoting my son's gastroenterologist.

HI, Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not offended at all........rather feel well supported. I know it's a no no and I still have a few break downs every now and then too. Must be natural and normal. I do feel so much better, that for sure.

Thanks so much for getting after me, suppose I needed to hear it again.

Nicole

I don't agree that it is natural and normal -- more like trial and error.

At some point, you will make the decision to live life as healthy as possible and not even think about eating that poison.

Its always tougher when you're a kid, but if your an adult, you know what to do and what not to do.

Gluten Free for Life Baby -- There is no other option!

Rusla, the KFC 'gremlins' must have been roaming this week becasue that's what i craved a meal all week. :rolleyes: All is takes is me 'remembering my last gulten from the first time i made gluten-free lasgana but it was the cheese (i knew it was risky> I haven't been tested to show ANYOTHER) allergins, but know i need to keep milk and soy esp out of my diet jsut cause i feel so much better when i do....that being said...went to Martindales again today after drs apt and stocked up on some gluten-free milk & soy free 'goodies' for me.

AGREE make the cake gluten-free next time and you won't have to worry.

judy in philly.

Judy in Southern CA