This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Off Effexor

jknnej

jknnej Collaborator

Okay, so I am going off Effexor (weight gain, night sweats, fatigue). Mainly because of the side effects even though it works WONDERS for my anxiety/depression. I just cannot deal with the weight gain. When I went to dr today my chart said I weighed 111 last year at the same time (when I started Effexor. ) Now today I weight 129. I know that may not seem like a lot, but NONE of my clothes fit me and I refuse to buy a new wardrobe. It is a terrible feeling that even my "fat" jeans don't fit anymore:(

I am only 5 foot tall so even though 129 might not sound bad, I am very short!

Anyway, I am going to try Lexapro, but first I have to wean off Effexor. I am anticipating some troubles as I've heard it really sucks so I thought I'd write so I can read all of your responses when I'm feeling like CRAP! and they will make me feel better.

You guys are the best:)

Jennifer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Okay, so I am going off Effexor (weight gain, night sweats, fatigue). Mainly because of the side effects even though it works WONDERS for my anxiety/depression. I just cannot deal with the weight gain. When I went to dr today my chart said I weighed 111 last year at the same time (when I started Effexor. ) Now today I weight 129. I know that may not seem like a lot, but NONE of my clothes fit me and I refuse to buy a new wardrobe. It is a terrible feeling that even my "fat" jeans don't fit anymore:(

I am only 5 foot tall so even though 129 might not sound bad, I am very short!

Anyway, I am going to try Lexapro, but first I have to wean off Effexor. I am anticipating some troubles as I've heard it really sucks so I thought I'd write so I can read all of your responses when I'm feeling like CRAP! and they will make me feel better.

You guys are the best:)

Jennifer

Jennifer, How long have you been gluten-free? And are you totally gluten-free including toiletries? I weaned myself off all drugs including a mix of an anticholeragenic and valium before I started my elimination diet with the allergist. Depression and anxiety were a recurring theme in my life since I was about 11. I called the effect 'little red feet' and they danced on my soul on a recurring basis for years. We spent thousands of dollars on therapy and many different drugs after my DD was born only to, after 2 years of sessions twice a week, be told that it was not a psychological problem but most likely metabolic. It was another 15 years before they finally diagnosed celiac. When you have gotten off the effexor you may want to consider trying life without the antidepressants for awhile before you begin a different regime. You may have been getting relief from your anxiety and depression from the gluten-free diet and not from the drug. For my DS and I depression is the first sign we have gotten gluten somewhere. It hits within 24 hours of injestion and generally the depression and anxiety clear within 3 days. For me it is kind of tough to get through the first day of it because I tend to think of every bad thing that could happen to my children, and some of those thoughts can be scarey and some very sad but because I now know and have seen the relation of those feeling to the gluten response I know they will go away and I can get through them. I was a child of the 60's and I had a couple of 'bad trips' and I got through them by telling myself it was the drug and it would pass, it always did, and for me gluten reactions seem much the same. I tell myself it is the toxin acting, it will go away, and it does.

You'll be okay weaning off of this, just do it at the rate your doctor wants you to and don't rush it. Then maybe if you can, and you may not be able to everyone is different, try living without them for a while, you may be surprised at how much relief you got from being gluten-free, it may be more than you realize.

Nancym Enthusiast

Check with your doctor, I know you're supposed to taper off AD, not just quite them cold turkey.

jknnej Collaborator

Yes, I am tapering off Effexor. I could not just quit cold turkey! If I forget my meds for one day I am sick!

Anyway, I've only been taking Effexor for 9 months. Before that I have never taken an antidepressant.

Oddly enough, once I started the gluten free diet, that is when my anxiety and depression started.

I never had it before that. My diet is very strict gluten free. I can't see it slipping in....I am so careful.

I may try not taking anything to see how I am after nine months. It's really odd that going gluten free caused this for me; I know others are the other way around.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Good luck with the tapering. How long will it take? I've heard of others getting the liquid form of the medicine as it's easier to control the doses.

I know we've talked about this subject before - the real depression and anxiety came for me about four months into the gluten-free diet. Looking back I've always been a little anxious and have battled insominia for years. But it really hit around the holidays. I've been on Lexapro since January and feel I made the right choice.

When we're talking about these kinds of drugs, going on or off is not an easy decision to make. But I'm sure you're doing what's best for you. It'll get better - it always does (my mantra!)

AmandaD Community Regular

Tapering off antidepressants can be weird...I remember at one point when I was getting off my meds I felt like I had he flu and my eyesight and neck felt funny. But I did do it successfully, so you can too. The key is to go super, super slow...and then when you're off totally for about 3 to 4 days I'd suggest taking a break from work, resting and drinking lots of extra fluids to help it get out of your system.

Make sure you are also replacing that antidepressant with at least 30 mins of exercise - that helps kick the endorphins back up in your brain !!

chrissy Collaborator

i don't think i have ever tapered off one anti-depressant before starting another one---and i have taken alot of them.

christine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nancym Enthusiast
i don't think i have ever tapered off one anti-depressant before starting another one---and i have taken alot of them.

christine

I don't know that you would have to if you're just changing brands. I think it is if you're quitting them all together.

jknnej Collaborator

Actually, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro and said I still had to taper off Effexor...weird, huh? Oh well, I am going to TRY to not take the Lexapro if I feel well enough after stopping the Effexor. Last night I took half of my usual dose and I feel great today, so I'm hoping it will be slow enough so I don't go crazy! Literally!

I always exercise so that's not a problem. I haven't been exercising as much because the Effexor makes me so tired but I still walk my dogs 1-3 miles a day, if nothing else. But I also do yoga, waterski, snow ski, go to the gym,etc so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

HI, I think the Lexapro will help curve some of the side effect of tapering off of the Effexor. I do hope this will be a rather slow process, as it can play havic mentally. Good luck. I am also taking Effexor.

Nicole

jenvan Collaborator
Actually, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro and said I still had to taper off Effexor...weird, huh? Oh well, I am going to TRY to not take the Lexapro if I feel well enough after stopping the Effexor. Last night I took half of my usual dose and I feel great today, so I'm hoping it will be slow enough so I don't go crazy! Literally!

I always exercise so that's not a problem. I haven't been exercising as much because the Effexor makes me so tired but I still walk my dogs 1-3 miles a day, if nothing else. But I also do yoga, waterski, snow ski, go to the gym,etc so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Good luck Jennifer! I hope you are able to go off of them completely...but if not, I hope the transition is smooth. I understand on the weight gain--I would be upset too. I have several friends on lexapro/effexor type meds and they have had the same issues as you. Let us know how it goes!

jknnej Collaborator

Thanks, guys. Interestingly enough, last night I took half of my usual dosage and this morning I only ate a little for breakfast. My whole life I'm usually not hungry in the morning and only eat maybe a small bowl of cereal at best in the early am. On Effexor I would refill my cereal bowl like, 4 times!!! Ridiculous!

I feel OK so we'll see how it goes. I am going to try to not take the Lexapro and we'll see what happens.

chrissy Collaborator

every time i try to go off of my antidepressants, i get vertigo----bummer, as sometimes i would like to quite them for a while, clear my system, and start all over. i think i'm a lifer on them----there seems to be some sort of genetic chemical imbalance in my family.

christine

• 2 weeks later...
helixwnc Newbie

It does REAAALLY suck. It is worth it, though. I went off of it because it scared me that when I missed a dose I felt so horrible. It was like being addicted to heroin or something, you know? I was afraid that I might not be able to get the prescription due to money or some other problem, and then be forced off it.

The symptoms were like being drunk with a headache and nausea, but they only lasted two weeks. I noticed a significant increase in my libido about six months after I was off of them.

Good luck. You CAN do it. Just wean down slowly and don't let the weirdness scare you. :)

laurichick Newbie

WOW! its weird cause i was on Lexapro (which messed with my heart, fine now that im off it)

And switched to effexor (which i didnt feel as good on as lexapro) effexor left me feeling not depressed but i felt VERY flat. But when i weaned off of effexor (which make sure you do otherwise it can be very bad for you!!!!)i felt like a million bucks. Mind you i was on all this before i was diagnosed with celiac. I went off the effxor for obvious reasons, but then i read this article on (Open Original Shared Link i started taking all the vitamins and getting sunlight and walkign, and i felt like million bucks.

I also went to therapy too while on effexor, so i think that helped me out too.

I havent been on Ad's since jan. and im feeling better. since ive be diagnosed with celiac disease (only a month) ive bene a bit bummed feeling but not the way i used to feel. I think mainly because im still finding food in general fusterating.

anyways now that ive rambled, i think what i meant to include was that when i went effexor i felt fine and no withdrawel type symptoms. as long as you taper of fyou should be fine but if your feeling cruddy post and we'll make you feel better! :)

xoxo

LaURi*

oh ps, when i made the switch i took a 2 week "vaction" from meds to let thigns clear out and what not.

nettiebeads Apprentice

Boy do I understand! I've been on Zoloft for 5 yrs now. My gp was going to try and wean me this month. I tried half a tab every other night for two weeks. At first I was doing great, but that old black nothingness is back so I'm back to full strength :( Will try again in two weeks or so, but maybe at an even slower pace. But at least I still have something to blame my extra 30 lbs on :ph34r:

Annette

jknnej Collaborator

Hey all,

Your posts are so helpful! After 3-4 weeks of weaning, today is my second day taking none at all. I am not going to take Lexapro, either.

My energy level is great; I've been exercising at least 30 min a day. Depression seems to be not returning but anxiety is a little! Oh well...guess I've dealt with it all my life anyway.

Today I was really sick to my stomach but I took Immodium and my dr. gave me Zofran for the weaning period. I was really nauseated but Zofran made me feel better. Tomorrow I will have a killer headache, though, as Zofran does that to me. Oh well I can take Relpax and it's better than nausea!

I had a day like this last week, too.

Overall I still feel better than when I was taking Effexor. I needed to post today because my tummy troubles are causing some anxiety and I could use the support.

You guys are the best!!!

Jenn:)

nettiebeads Apprentice
Overall I still feel better than when I was taking Effexor. I needed to post today because my tummy troubles are causing some anxiety and I could use the support.

You guys are the best!!!

Glad to hear of your progress. Have you tried simple Chamomile tea? I've also heard that blackberry juice helps, but I have no idea where to get that. And sometimes just a plain heating pad will do wonders. My zoloft reduction is off, then on. I don't know if I got glutened which caused my depression to come back full strength, or dealing with my mother who is in a nursing home. So I went back onto zoloft full strength for a week, now I'm tapering again. I love the feeling when I reduce it - an almost effervescent feeling in my head. Hard to explain.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hey all,

Your posts are so helpful! After 3-4 weeks of weaning, today is my second day taking none at all. I am not going to take Lexapro, either.

My energy level is great; I've been exercising at least 30 min a day. Depression seems to be not returning but anxiety is a little! Oh well...guess I've dealt with it all my life anyway.

Today I was really sick to my stomach but I took Immodium and my dr. gave me Zofran for the weaning period. I was really nauseated but Zofran made me feel better. Tomorrow I will have a killer headache, though, as Zofran does that to me. Oh well I can take Relpax and it's better than nausea!

I had a day like this last week, too.

You guys are the best!!!

Fantastic!!!!!!! I am so glad you are making positive progress with this. Keep it up. Oh how I wish doctors would test for celiac before they give us these kinds of drugs. They are so addictive and can be really tough to get off of. A bit of anxiety is normal, without it we could not have survived as a species. There are many drug free ways to deal with it. For me finding something that will take all my concentration helps, whether a board game or a book, a warm bath or a quick jog around the yard, getting on the boards or picking up a phone to call a freind, or my favorite feeding and watching the birds and squirrels. Anything to get my mind off of whatever I am angsting about. I am so glad you are making progress!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back for all your hard work.

jknnej Collaborator

I am REALLY struggling today...I'm not sure if it's the going-off process or not-I've been Effexor free for exactly one week now. Boy, I hope this is just part of the process.

I have been in the WORST mood ever today. I mean, BAD. I went an exercised at the gym with my hubby for a full hour and everything and I am still in the foulest mood ever. Now I remember why I started taking Effexor in the first place! Anyone have any thoughts on how to get rid of these moods? It's like a combination of pissed off, upset, overly-critical at everything. don't want to go anywhere/do anything kind of mood. Even my dogs are annoying me. HELP! If this is how I'm going to be forever I will have to take the Effexor again-too much of this mood and I don't want to live anymore. It is the most awful feeling in the world.......It disappeared when I was taking Effexor but it's back again.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

If it's just been today, I wouldn't worry. Keep a journal and keep track of your moods. You're going to have some grumpy days, who doesn't? :blink:

jknnej Collaborator

That is what I am hoping-I guess it just makes me nervous because this what I used to feel like before taking the Effexor.

I've already lost 4 lbs by the way!

thomas3000 Rookie

Get some SAM-E!! Take 400 mg a day to start and that will help tremendously...Take care..

jknnej Collaborator

What is SAM E and how does it help? Feeling better the last couple of days. Hopefullly the worst is past. I've been completely off for 10 days now..I still feel the effects, though. Wonder how long I will feel effects? It does lessen each day that goes by, though.

nettiebeads Apprentice
What is SAM E and how does it help? Feeling better the last couple of days. Hopefullly the worst is past. I've been completely off for 10 days now..I still feel the effects, though. Wonder how long I will feel effects? It does lessen each day that goes by, though.

Glad to hear that! Keep up the positive thinking; remember we're rooting for you!

Big HUG

Annette

Archived