This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Mango04 Enthusiast

:lol:

omg I popped in and geese are being discussed! :D!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
Nancy, glad you found us. New friends and old, welcome here.

Ditto! :D

Well, I've moved up my plans to start SCD. While trying to use up my carbohydrate stuff, potatos, ice cream, yam, cookies, I am feeling much worse again and nausea as well. Maybe my LLMD is right, this is the missing piece.

So my chicken soup is simmering and my yogurt is culturing...

I'm sorry Sherry. I'll be as much of a support as I can as you learn the ropes of this new diet. :)

I see Mango posting. Does she have the knack for knowing when her posts come up?.......or is she another Susan that always showed up when her ears were burning? :lol: In other words.....pretty much the same thing. :lol:

Mango04 Enthusiast
I see Mango posting. Does she have the knack for knowing when her posts come up?.......or is she another Susan that always showed up when her ears were burning? :lol: In other words.....pretty much the same thing. :lol:

Crazy burning ears. LOL. Weird huh? :lol:

dlp252 Apprentice

Nancy...yeah, kind of like an anniversary party, lol!

confused Community Regular
Nancy...yeah, kind of like an anniversary party, lol!

What are we supposed to wear for this party and are we supposed to wear our Em makeup lol

paula

Green12 Enthusiast

OMGosh Rachel, those quotes you reposted are hilarious!!!! We were mad back then :lol: Of course that was before we got in trouble for not staying on topic, we've had to be on our best behavior :rolleyes:

I'm not caught up, but I just wanted to say I am going to be in the same place as Dr Klinghardt tomorrow :o I'll see if I can meet him!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I am going to be in the same place as Dr Klinghardt tomorrow :o I'll see if I can meet him!!

:o:o

I am sooooo jealous!!

Ummm....can you maybe get his autograph for me?? :D:lol:

just kiddin. :) (only about the autograph...not the jealousy part :P )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor
What are we supposed to wear for this party and are we supposed to wear our Em makeup lol

It started out as a slumber party and turned into our own ville. :P

OMGosh Rachel, those quotes you reposted are hilarious!!!! We were mad back then :lol: Of course that was before we got in trouble for not staying on topic, we've had to be on our best behavior :rolleyes:

Yep, no more fun....:( I've been real bad about posting anything relevant lately. Slap my hand! :lol:

I'm not caught up, but I just wanted to say I am going to be in the same place as Dr Klinghardt tomorrow :o I'll see if I can meet him!!

Cool! I want an update for sure. :D

I'm a little jealous too. :ph34r:

mftnchn Explorer

Yes, I'll look forward to hearing about Dr K., Julie.

How is your diet going and are you still doing okay on the Vit D? My allergist told me yesterday that he had put about 150 patients on D3 over the past 8 months, and only had one that had any difficulty or intolerance. He said he has had to put a number of them on 10,000 daily to get their levels up to therapeutic levels. That's my current dose too.

Thanks for everyone's support re my diet change. I hope I can tell if it helps or not; I'm really not too symptomatic in terms of gut symptoms but if it helps with the achiness and fatigue I will be happy.

Any further update about your iron, Kassandra?

Sherry

CarlaB Enthusiast

Hi everyone! We're back! I'll write that update tomorrow.

I started taking transfer factor .... it makes me herx. It must be strengthening my immune system to kill the Lyme .... it doesn't kill anything on its own and it's definitely Lyme symptoms, not a reaction. :D

AndreaB Contributor

Welcome back Carla. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Welcome back Carla. :)

Thanks. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

*update*

I actually found a probiotic without stearates! :o

OMG....this was such a challenge...there was only *one* brand without stearates! :blink:

Fortunately its a pretty decent brand...and probably had the highest amount of cultures (50 billion per capsule).

I'm thinking this has been a big factor in my lack of tolerance for most supplements in the past. From this point on I'm stearate free. :D

Ok...so besides toxicity, a major problem with stearates is absorption.

While toxicity is one problem, decreased absorption is another. In a study published in the journal Pharmaceutical Technology, the percent dissolution for capsules after 20 minutes in solution went from 90% without stearates to 25% with stearates. This delays the absorption of nutrients.

Individuals with impaired digestion may have particular difficulty absorbing nutrients coated with stearates.

Another problem with stearates: concentrated doses of stearic acid suppress the action of T-cells, a key component of the immune system. The article

Rachel--24 Collaborator
OMGosh Rachel, those quotes you reposted are hilarious!!!! We were mad back then :lol:

Julie....I was cracking up reading those pages!! Yes...totally mad and out of our minds....it was a blast! :lol:

Of course that was before we got in trouble for not staying on topic, we've had to be on our best behavior :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Do you really think we were "out of control" though?? :huh:

I mean really, whats wrong with rolling out 20+ pages per day of cult farm fun...auxigro protective geese, dingo's, glittery bats, gluten decontamination chambers, etc. I think it was all very relevant....wasnt it?? :lol:

I dont see why anyone would have issue with it. :P

Bad girls, bad girls, whatcha gonna do.....

Hi everyone! We're back! I'll write that update tomorrow.

Welcome back Carla, looking foward to it. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I don't know what you were talking about with the Geese, but I was laughing anyway.

Nancy,

I dont think we even knew what we were talking about with the geese. :lol:

This thread is amazing. I wanted to tell you all that even though I am a newcomer, I am so glad I have found you. In the little time i have been a part of this thread I have felt better than I have in a long time (emotionally, that is), because I don't feel alone in all this craziness that goes on with our bodies ( without our permission!!!). You are all so kind, supportive, extremely well informed and hysterically funny. Glad to be here...better late than never.

I'm glad you're feeling better. I dont know what it is but this thread is kind of "magical"....just ask Rinne, she'll tell you. :)

It has had a "healing" effect....I guess it just contained all of the things so many of us needed and hadnt yet found.

So we were all feeling the same as you when we "met" here...."alone in all this craziness".....but suddenly we werent alone anymore. :)

So yeah....I'm glad you found us....better late than never. ;)

omg I popped in and geese are being discussed! :D!

Mango.....just wait till I get to the koalas!!! :lol:

AndreaB Contributor
Bad girls, bad girls, whatcha gonna do.....

You're not going to let me forget this song are you!? :P:lol:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Ok...I had a new "relevation" regarding oxalates.

I figure I only have a few more days to get all "scientific" about oxalates....before my OAT results come back and totally NEGATE everything I've ever said on this topic. :rolleyes:

Seriously!! I think I must be cursed or something! :unsure:

Anyways...long ago I declared that ice cream was a necessary part of my diet....cuz of its ability to "stop" reactions and cuz of its ability to make me "regular" in ways that I'd never been before. :P

I wasnt just saying that to justify all that ice cream. It was TRUE!! But yeah....it was also true that I was off in my own world.....addicted to ice cream and having some issues with brain function. :rolleyes:

I totally had bad reactions to certain foods which were immediately halted with a few spoonfuls of ice cream?? I could never figure that out! :huh:

Looking back...all of those foods were high oxalate. Calcium binds with oxalates and helps the body to get rid of them. This is why many who are on the low oxalate diet....also take calcium citrate prior to the meal...to absorb oxalates.

I tried that myself and it didnt work...and I had problems with the calcium supplements. I checked the bottle...its got all kinds of junk...including magnesium stearates. So maybe absorption was a problem....and maybe the calcium wasnt working because of it??

I dunno....but is it even *remotely* possible that the calcium in ice cream was capable of having this effect?? :unsure:

The ice cream was chocolate (high oxalate) and yet I could eat it every day without ever having those GI symptoms, weight loss, cramping, "ovary" pain, inflammation everywhere, etc.

Aside from the ice cream I have not been able to eat chocolate *anything* without having some issues after a day or two. ....and I definately dont experience the "regularity" that I was having with the ice cream. It somehow seemed to "balance" me out.

Do you guys think there's enough calcium in dairy to actually take care of some of the oxalates if they are consumed together?? What do you guys think??

This is why I'm looking for calcium citrate w/out stearates.....to see if it will have any effect....because I cant go back on ice cream (as much as I would LOVE to).

Rachel--24 Collaborator
You're not going to let me forget this song are you!? :P:lol:

LOL...I think I'll sing it to you next time I call. :lol:

tabasco32 Apprentice

Looking back...all of those foods were high oxalate. Calcium binds with oxalates and helps the body to get rid of them. This is why many who are on the low oxalate diet....also take calcium citrate prior to the meal...to absorb oxalates.

Yeah that's exactly what happenes to me. Vanilla ice cream was okay. But when I ate chocolate I got all brain foggy and stuff. Epecially those chocolate dipped bars. I haven't had ice cream in 2 weeks but I eat cheese and milky way bars.

Maybe because it's so thick. I got really bad toxic zits underneath my jaw line area from milk. Those Dr. M said were cow milk toxins. I believed it because the first year I was sick I didn't have any milk at all and I didn't have those things that looked like acne.

But for some reason my zits are disappering.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

OMG....I might be on to something! :blink:

Check this out....

Question:

Is it true that the oxalates interfere with the absorption of calcium?

Is it true that that the oxalates in tea/milk or chocolate/milk interfere with the absorption of calcium from milk?

Answer:

Yes, the oxalates in tea will interfere with the calcium absorption from the milk. The oxalate in the tea binds to calcium and is removed through the digestive tract and not absorbed. Chocolate also contains oxalic acid which will bind up some calcium.

So yes....the calcium in the ice cream will bind up some of the oxalates....preventing them from being absorbed!

This would also mean I'm not really absorbing much of the calcium either.....because what little I get from my diet would likely be binding with oxalates (if they really are an issue for me).

I am pretty low in calcium....well all minerals actually (except copper). So there might be a legitimate reason for my body having strong cravings for ice cream when I was having bad reactions....and yeah....the ice cream would calm everything down.

Does it sound right??

I figure I only have a few more days to get all "scientific" about oxalates....before my OAT results come back and totally NEGATE everything I've ever said on this topic. :rolleyes:

Seriously!! I think I must be cursed or something! :unsure:

Anyways...long ago I declared that ice cream was a necessary part of my diet....cuz of its ability to "stop" reactions and cuz of its ability to make me "regular" in ways that I'd never been before. :P

I wasnt just saying that to justify all that ice cream. It was TRUE!! But yeah....it was also true that I was off in my own world.....addicted to ice cream and having some issues with brain function. :rolleyes:

I totally had bad reactions to certain foods which were immediately halted with a few spoonfuls of ice cream?? I could never figure that out! :huh:

I tried that myself and it didnt work...and I had problems with the calcium supplements. I checked the bottle...its got all kinds of junk...including magnesium stearates. So maybe absorption was a problem....and maybe the calcium wasnt working because of it??

I dunno....but is it even *remotely* possible that the calcium in ice cream was capable of having this effect?? :unsure:

The ice cream was chocolate (high oxalate) and yet I could eat it every day without ever having those GI symptoms, weight loss, cramping, "ovary" pain, inflammation everywhere, etc.

Aside from the ice cream I have not been able to eat chocolate *anything* without having some issues after a day or two. ....and I definately dont experience the "regularity" that I was having with the ice cream. It somehow seemed to "balance" me out.

Do you guys think there's enough calcium in dairy to actually take care of some of the oxalates if they are consumed together?? What do you guys think??

This is why I'm looking for calcium citrate w/out stearates.....to see if it will have any effect....because I cant go back on ice cream (as much as I would LOVE to).

Sure if u say so lmao.

I just came in from star gazing with the family. Have any of u ever laid outside and looked at planes and wondered where they are going. Or am I alone in this game. My hubby thought I had lost it(which by the way he thinks that all the time), but it would be nice to know im not alone in this lol

paula

tabasco32 Apprentice
OMG....I might be on to something! :blink:

Check this out....

So yes....the calcium in the ice cream will bind up some of the oxalates....preventing them from being absorbed!

This would also mean I'm not really absorbing much of the calcium either.....because what little I get from my diet would likely be binding with oxalates (if they really are an issue for me).

I am pretty low in calcium....well all minerals actually (except copper). So there might be a legitimate reason for my body having strong cravings for ice cream when I was having bad reactions....and yeah....the ice cream would calm everything down.

Does it sound right??

But why did the ice cream help with constipation? Since too much calcium constipates you, do you think we were not absorbing calcium but making more oxalates?

tabasco32 Apprentice

[quote name='confused' date='Jul 19 2008, 12:43 AM' post='448490'

I just came in from star gazing with the family. Have any of u ever laid outside and looked at planes and wondered where they are going. Or am I alone in this game. My hubby thought I had lost it(which by the way he thinks that all the time), but it would be nice to know im not alone in this lol

paula

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Yeah that's exactly what happenes to me. Vanilla ice cream was okay. But when I ate chocolate I got all brain foggy and stuff. Epecially those chocolate dipped bars. I haven't had ice cream in 2 weeks but I eat cheese and milky way bars.

It was only one brand of chocolate ice cream that I eat....organic stoneyfield. I couldnt tolerate any other types of chocolate ice cream or bars...I'd react to various ingredients.

I cant tolerate vanilla....its not high in oxalate so thats not the issue. It was actually one of only a few things to show up in my IgG food intolerance test....I'm just really sensitive to it.

I got really bad toxic zits underneath my jaw line area from milk. Those Dr. M said were cow milk toxins. I believed it because the first year I was sick I didn't have any milk at all and I didn't have those things that looked like acne

Dr. M. is extremely anti cow's milk. No gluten...no cow's milk. He said it was a huge stressor for me...but I tested ok for goats milk...so he said I could have goats milk instead.

I'm sure its an immune stressor...but I dont get any major symptoms....so I do eat some occasionally. I'm gonna try more actually because of the calcium/oxalate issue.

Even though I can have some dairy....I still cant *drink* milk....not even goats milk. I think its mostly an issue where its fueling bacteria/yeast.

[quote name='confused' date='Jul 19 2008, 12:43 AM' post='448490'

paula

Your alone on this one with me! :)

yayyyy lol

I also learned i need to look up some astrology. The only things i knew were the big and little dipper. I use to love astronomy in college, but I forgot everything i learned. See what all my health problems have done to me. Btw i seen lots of planes heading to california and vegas lol

paula

Archived