Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winki4

Found My Brother In A Heap! Starving, Dying, Weak.....

As a 11 year gluten free Celiac that endured my entire family pooh poohing the idea of a gluten free diet or Celiac in general, I was shocked to get a call a few days ago from my 54 year old brother. He wanted to go to the hospital. Says he is dying and needs me to take him right away. I go over to his home a few minutes away and find him looking like a death camp survivor. Emaciated, wracked with belly and intestinal pain and pale in color. I knew his backround was like mine, with stomach troubles all his life, so I knew I was looking at a full blown Celiac in serious trouble. I was in the same place 11 years ago, only days away from dying, diagnosed by my mom bringing in a magazine article from Diabetic Forecast magazine.

I knew how to help him, cleaned his kitchen of gluten, filled his cupboards with safe food, convinced him to just try the diet and voila! 4 days now and he thinks I am a genius. We have traded stories now about our past "problems" with eating certain foods. His son came for a visit today and was reading some info I printed off this forum for my brother to read. The son showed me his purple scars on certain key spots of his body and now I see the son has Demetitus Herpetiformus. You could have knocked me over with just a breath! Another Celiac in the family. So now both of them are doing the gluten free diet. I am elated and sad at the same time. My brother is getting well day by day, as all of us know the drill. He has a long road in front of him to getting well. As all of us can understand so well, he's been seen by too many doctors, been diagnosed with Bi-polar, depression, and called nuts all too often. I assured him that those bad days are largely over now. Thanks for this forum. Thank goodenss my brother will make it. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm so sorry he was so sick....but glad you were able to help him and that he has started on the road to better health. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Wow! I guess sometimes it takes getting that sick to convince people that something's wrong! Glad he's doing better!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Wow--I'm so glad you were there for him, and that he's doing better :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Oh my gosh, you were a godsend to him. That is an amazing story! He is quite fortunate to have someone who knows the ropes and has been there all this time. :)

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Thank you everyone for your unending encouragement and support. When I was first diagnosed a Celiac, there was little gluten free food available off the shelf, no cookbooks, no internet help and I was on my own. Newbies have it really good these days. Again, thank you everyone. This forum helps even an "old timer" like me! :lol:

As a 11 year gluten free Celiac that endured my entire family pooh poohing the idea of a gluten free diet or Celiac in general, I was shocked to get a call a few days ago from my 54 year old brother. He wanted to go to the hospital. Says he is dying and needs me to take him right away. I go over to his home a few minutes away and find him looking like a death camp survivor. Emaciated, wracked with belly and intestinal pain and pale in color. I knew his backround was like mine, with stomach troubles all his life, so I knew I was looking at a full blown Celiac in serious trouble. I was in the same place 11 years ago, only days away from dying, diagnosed by my mom bringing in a magazine article from Diabetic Forecast magazine.

I knew how to help him, cleaned his kitchen of gluten, filled his cupboards with safe food, convinced him to just try the diet and voila! 4 days now and he thinks I am a genius. We have traded stories now about our past "problems" with eating certain foods. His son came for a visit today and was reading some info I printed off this forum for my brother to read. The son showed me his purple scars on certain key spots of his body and now I see the son has Demetitus Herpetiformus. You could have knocked me over with just a breath! Another Celiac in the family. So now both of them are doing the gluten free diet. I am elated and sad at the same time. My brother is getting well day by day, as all of us know the drill. He has a long road in front of him to getting well. As all of us can understand so well, he's been seen by too many doctors, been diagnosed with Bi-polar, depression, and called nuts all too often. I assured him that those bad days are largely over now. Thanks for this forum. Thank goodenss my brother will make it. :D

winki4,

Your story is so moving to me, my brother is also sick and is unwilling to do anything about it. Thank God you were able to reach your family at just the right time. I was sick for so long and now you and the others on this web page have realy changed my life and have given me the hope that some day my family will get better. My mother was very sick for years and passed away at age 44 from what I think was Celiac related illness. I believe she is watching over me now and would have given her own life to save mine. I know you must be a very strong and wonderful person. My thoughts are with you and your family. What a wonderful gift you have received for the holidays.

LOL

Cathy :D

I am 45 years old married with 6 children

1969 Chronic Asthma, food allergies- wheat, dairy

1970 Migraine Head Aches

1978 Grand Mall Seizures

1998 Fibromyalgia

2000 Irritable Bowel

2004 Hypothyroidism

2005 Interstitial Cystitis

Unwilling to eat gluten for Celiac test

Oct 1st 2006 Gluten free

Well done you!! Im so glad that you were able to help your brother and now son as well. I know what its like to see people you love with symptoms and getting sicker and them not doing anything about it... its so frustrating. I hope it doesnt take them getting as sick as your poor brother did before they will listen to what i have to say...

well done again and I wish you all the best of luck

Liz (Ireland)