This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Proper Welcome To Srokie!

Canadian Karen

DingoGirl Enthusiast

p.s again

what the hell are the star ratings anyway?

(I should not be posting whilst talking on teh phone - very fragmented :blink: )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Canadian Karen Community Regular
Karen, Lisa doesn't need spell check: she has me. She went to a fancy, high rent high school in high rent McLean, Va. and I went to a small country school, with no indoor plumbing, in Podunk, Jerkwater Junction, NC. But we were taught to spell. To Lisa, animals live in a zooz, fish live in the see, you fly in a plain, ride in a kar, and she has a some problem with her innerds, known as seliak. Her elementary school teacher, that taught her to spel, must have been sniffing some good stuf!!!! bon soir, Jim

Gosh, you gotta love him or hate him. I'm debating this fact as we speak. <_<

He was invited by my request. No future post will come from this randon guy.

OMG! Jim makes his debut at celiac.com in one of MY threads!!! I am so honoured!!!! (Oops, don't want to confuse Lisa, I should say honored..... :P:lol:) HEY! That's what's wrong! She's conversing too much with us Canucks and it's getting her confused!!!

Hugs!

Karen

Rachel--24 Collaborator
You know, I may have had something to do with that (does "University of the Celiac Gluten-Free Cult Farm ring a bell? :ph34r: )

:lol::lol:

Who could forget about the cult farm!! :lol:

but I think you're being oversensitive about it.....it was and is fantastic and wonderful. We did totally veer off over the summer and went bonkers, may have offended a few, but it's been pretty much back on track (I haven't visited ina while, miss you guys!).....
We miss you too.....you should pop in and check out all the scientificness....dont know how much of it you could take though. :P Even I have to take a break sometimes. :blink:

but I"ll tell you something. Remember that deep depression I slipped into over the summer? during those few weeks, visiting and being wacky on that forum was almost the only time I laughed. It helped me SO much, I'll never forget it. :)

Yeah....I think it helped alot of us who were going through rough times. I'm glad to have met you and I'm really glad we all had so many laughs. :wub:

tarnalberry Community Regular
I would never consider "Rachelville" to be a clique. The OMG thread was/is a place where people who are struggling with ALOT of food issues...(or illness aside from just gluten intolerance)....kind of found each other and together we try to sort things out.

I dont recall how the title of Rachelville came to be but at some point the thread lost its focus and instead of centering around health issues alot of people just started chatting. I guess its to be expected in a long running thread with alot of people posting.....but peoples health issues werent the priority anymore and serious posts were getting lost in chit-chat.

(snip)

The thing I like about Rachelville is that it was/is a place for *anyone*....the people who ventured into the thread found some kind of "comfort zone" there....which I thought was pretty cool.

If people interpreted it as a "clique".....then I'd have to say that it was a misinterpretation or an assumption....possibly based on little red titles??

Whatever the reason....the last thing I want is to be "cliquey"....so I'll remove my title so as to not give anyone that misconception. :)

I agree that you have no need to apologize. It was a natural progression, and if the post hadn't resonated with so many people (and hence, been needed), it wouldn't have grown as it did.

And since we're pretty much all adults here, I don't think anyone intends a clique - not like high school. ;) I've certainly never gotten that impression, anyway. But they happen - some people gravitate towards others, and some... we have our own semi-private solar systems. :P But the perception... read back over the posts, and you'll find almost as many different perceptions as posts! And think of how many other perceptions are out there from the people not posting. :o

I can't think of any apologies that could even be asked for. Everyone is an important part of the board (just don't put me on the welcoming committee - it'll fail :lol: ). If we're aware of , maybe it'll help in getting more newbies involved, but we're building friendships, not just a support group, and there's value in that too! :)

Hmm... interesting addendum thought... One of the reasons this may be coming up is that we may have reached a 'critical mass', where it was hard to have distinct groupings that were quite so obvious and delinated. Since we've gotten big enough for that, it's happened (over the course of quite a number of months, of course), but it's a change from, say, a year and a half ago, and the change makes it more startling. Eh... I'm just thought-wandering now...

nmw Newbie
I guess if I was a newbie I would probaly think the same...."Who is this Rachel girl....and what the heck is Rachelville??"

Exactly.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Everyone is an important part of the board (just don't put me on the welcoming committee - it'll fail :lol: ). If we're aware of , maybe it'll help in getting more newbies involved, but we're building friendships, not just a support group, and there's value in that too! :)

Yup...maybe this discussion was meant to come about and maybe positive things will come from it. :)

I agree.....the board has grown alot since I've been here.....which isnt nearly as long as you. Heck....you've probably seen the whole thing...from birth till now...from like 6 members to more than 12,000! :o

We do build friendships here though....and the board has been one of the best things to come into my life since I got sick....so yeah...alot of value in that! :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Yeah....I think it helped alot of us who were going through rough times. I'm glad to have met you and I'm really glad we all had so many laughs. :wub:

I am feeling all warm and fuzzy, just reading this thread! And remembering all the fun of that other crazy place. I have some pages bookmarked, from that zany time - - I made a teenager actually GO BACK and search for me, until she got there. ha ha, she didn't mind. But, I still haven't gone back to read it.....don't quite have the stamina. :huh:

Good points Tiffany. You are continually the voice of sagacity and reason here. :)

Must forage again - like a truffle pig - for food.

'night all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I have some pages bookmarked, from that zany time - - I made a teenager actually GO BACK and search for me, until she got there. ha ha, she didn't mind.

:lol::lol::lol:

That poor poor girl! You sent her "back" to the place where none of us dares to go..... :o

Thats hilarious.... :lol:

Must forage again - like a truffle pig - for food.

:lol::lol:

Night Susie Q :)

tiffjake Enthusiast
Hey, Tiffany..haven't seen you in so long..good to see you..about Mary Kay..said you quit selling. was it b/c it wasn't good for us celiac's..????

judy

Oh no, just got tired of selling someone elses dream! MOST of the products are ok for Celiacs, but that does not mean they are "good" products :lol: . I think you can find better, for cheaper!

Mtndog Collaborator
Karen, Lisa doesn't need spell check: she has me. She went to a fancy, high rent high school in high rent McLean, Va. and I went to a small country school, with no indoor plumbing, in Podunk, Jerkwater Junction, NC. But we were taught to spell. To Lisa, animals live in a zooz, fish live in the see, you fly in a plain, ride in a kar, and she has a some problem with her innerds, known as seliak. Her elementary school teacher, that taught her to spel, must have been sniffing some good stuf!!!! bon soir, Jim

Gosh, you gotta love him or hate him. I'm debating this fact as we speak. <_<

He was invited by my request. No future post will come from this randon guy.

OMG! Lisa- Your hubby is a hoot! Tell him to get his own account so we can tease him too :P

CarlaB Enthusiast

I just wanted to let you all know I've been reading along ... you guys crack me up! I don't have much to say because the brain fog has gotten so bad that I can't think clearly ... I'm also totally focused on my doctor's appt. in NY Friday ... but I wanted to be a part of this silly group.

I think this thread is proof that there are no cliques here ... we have certainly formed "gab groups" on certain threads because we find something on the thread that meets our needs, even if they are comedy needs, but I have always found everyone welcoming ... except maybe the person who brought me down to four stars LOL :lol: .

I think the star system should be eliminated. I did add friends because I wanted to see what that feature was .... now that I know it doesn't do anything, I didn't add anyone else.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I think the star system should be eliminated. I did add friends because I wanted to see what that feature was .... now that I know it doesn't do anything, I didn't add anyone else.

And, now I'm down to three ... and I haven't answered a post on a thread other than the OMG thread for a week now, yet my stars dropped today!!

BTW, you can tell who's lowering your stars by seeing who has visited your page ... of course, you have to guess which person did it ...

Michi8 Contributor
And, now I'm down to three ... and I haven't answered a post on a thread other than the OMG thread for a week now, yet my stars dropped today!!

BTW, you can tell who's lowering your stars by seeing who has visited your page ... of course, you have to guess which person did it ...

Do the stars go down if someone visits, but doesn't give a rating? I haven't given anyone any stars...

Michelle

CarlaB Enthusiast
Do the stars go down if someone visits, but doesn't give a rating? I haven't given anyone any stars...

Michelle

I believe they have to give a rating. Mine went down both times a certain person visited my page. I agree with the others that it's a bad idea to have the stars.

Mango04 Enthusiast
I believe they have to give a rating. Mine went down both times a certain person visited my page. I agree with the others that it's a bad idea to have the stars.

I wonder if non-members are allowed to rate us? I have a hundred something profile views :blink:, but only a few members have visited my profile

CarlaB Enthusiast
I wonder if non-members are allowed to rate us? I have a hundred something profile views :blink: , but only a few members have visited my profile

I just logged out, visited your page, and could not rate you. So, it seems that only members can rate you, and it always tells you who last visited your page. Some sweety (and I know who you are ;) ) raised my rating after reading the post here. :)

Mtndog Collaborator
I just logged out, visited your page, and could not rate you. So, it seems that only members can rate you, and it always tells you who last visited your page. Some sweety (and I know who you are ;) ) raised my rating after reading the post here. :)

That' so cute! Yeah- I have a problem with it. I PM'd Scott and am waiting to hear back.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yeah...I think the star ratings is just not needed here. Maybe Scott can disable that feature??

The only purpose it can possibly serve is to make people feel bad cuz they either dont have any stars...or someone took their stars away...or whatever.

It very much reminds me of elementary school when people used to pass around "slam books"....rate this person from 1-10....who is your favorite person?....who do you dislike the most?...etc. Very lame.

So all its gonna do is create conflict since people go around adding and taking away peoples stars....especially if you can actually *see* who's doing it.

It seems like it would be hurtful to peoples feelings.

Theres nothing really positive about it. We should all be either set to 5 stars or no stars at all. Thats my opinion.

GFBetsy Rookie

Only read the last few posts, so I may be repeating a comment . . .

but didn't Max Lucado write a book about some puppets who always put gold stars or black dots on each other depending on what they thought of each other? And the whole point was that when you ignore the stars and dots (because you love yourself, I guess), they fall off. I wonder: if we ignore the stars, will they fall off the computer screen?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I've questioned the stars and asked about then here and in other threads since the day i logged back on.

A know i have put 5 stars on someone who was blank..but it i went to add a star to someone who had 4 to make it a 5 star i was not allowed to do so..

so can't imagine how you would make someone lose stars..

takes too much mental energy for me.

i'm choseing to ignore them and not bring it up again.

judy

CarlaB Enthusiast
Only read the last few posts, so I may be repeating a comment . . .

but didn't Max Lucado write a book about some puppets who always put gold stars or black dots on each other depending on what they thought of each other? And the whole point was that when you ignore the stars and dots (because you love yourself, I guess), they fall off. I wonder: if we ignore the stars, will they fall off the computer screen?

:lol::lol: Maybe Scott can make that happen.

The part I think is bad is that people rate based on personal feelings, not necessarily quality of answers. Then a newbie, non-member comes on to read information and thinks the stars are some kind of official rating, but they don't have anything to do with a person's knowledge at all, just whether others on the board like them.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

YES!! It's called You Are Special, and I read that book to my Sunday school class a couple weeks ago!!! LOL!!

Honestly, I have no idea what stars y'all are talking about. I just wondered if Srokie hung around, and it looks as if she's flown the coop, eh??

CarlaB Enthusiast
I've questioned the stars and asked about then here and in other threads since the day i logged back on.

A know i have put 5 stars on someone who was blank..but it i went to add a star to someone who had 4 to make it a 5 star i was not allowed to do so..

so can't imagine how you would make someone lose stars..

takes too much mental energy for me.

i'm choseing to ignore them and not bring it up again.

judy

I think it's an average of the ratings the person has received ... so if you try to add a star to someone who only has four, until their average is high enough, they will still only have four stars.

I made this larger so Judy could see it easily ... I'm not shouting.

Viola 1 Rookie
I think it's an average of the ratings the person has received ... so if you try to add a star to someone who only has four, until their average is high enough, they will still only have four stars.

I made this larger so Judy could see it easily ... I'm not shouting.

I went in and saw that you had four now, and tried to raise it to five, but it wouldn't cooperate, so I think we should just ignore them all and know that we are all five stars on this board :P

CarlaB Enthusiast
I went in and saw that you had four now, and tried to raise it to five, but it wouldn't cooperate, so I think we should just ignore them all and know that we are all five stars on this board :P

:P Thanks!! :rolleyes: That's so sweet. I'm not worried about it ... I agree with how Rachel put it, it's juvenile. If it were some kind of official ranking based on quality of answers, it would be potentially useful information, but it's not. I would only ever give anyone 5 stars. :rolleyes:

Archived